Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Any pictures of center tube tv replaced with LCDs?

Brand new user here. Just picked up my 2002 Itasca Sunova 27c.

Already upgrading all the speakers and stereo system. Next up is swapping out the 19" tube with a LCD. Undecided on size. Wanted to see what others have done but haven't been able to find any. Want to learn from those who have done it so I can have an idea of which mounts,size of TV, etc. works best.

thanks in advance.
neverl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is what I did with my '06 Itasca. The back is a piece of 3/4" plywood bolted into the metal bracket that used to house the boat anchor TV. The mount is a locking swivel mount from Camping World and the TV is a 28" Samsung. At the time it was the largest one that would fit in the opening I could find, but now there are larger ones with thinner frames. Go to an appliance store and measure until you find something that fits. I lined the opening with black automotive carpet just to give it a finished look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	146003   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV-2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	146004  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:22 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine was mounted down low. I used one of those TV swing arm wall mount things, only I mounted it sideways so the TV can be moved up and down. Its tucked in the cavity while traveling, and then we can swing it up when parked.

Here is a short article on upgrading both TVs in my Mirada.

Installing and upgrading TVs | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	146010   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	146011  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:29 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I changed from a 19" recessed mount to a 40" surface mount.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #5

I did more measurements today and like Route66, I think a 40" should be just right as it I have about 36" between the doors on both sides and a 40" is right there at 36" wide.

I still can't decide on the mounting method. Leaning towards a multi swing arm (after finding lots of youtube videos) mounted on the side wall of the opening which should allow for swing out a bit and tilt. I'm having a hard time visualizing how the multi arms will react on the swing out as I want it to land back at center when pushed back in (well not inside the cabinet but flush to the face) which will decide where the mount point will be on the side of the cabinet. Does that make sense??

Weight shouldn't be much of an issue now as they plastic (instead of glass) screen on these new LED are so light, like 16lbs without the stand.

Anyone have images of the corner bedroom tv replacement as well? Currently it one of those Panasonic 13 VCR combo on a shelf.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As to the corner bedroom mount I just added a cabinet door to the old hole for the old TV. Then mounted the new flat screen on the cabinet door. Can swing out leaving much storage behind it and the mount allow some tipping for viewing angle from the bed.

Put a double catch on closing hook so it does not come out when traveling.

Like you said, they are very light now so weight is not a problem.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

After opening the TV can be guided back into place as you close it.

On mine you can remove the oak frame around the TV by prying out the wood plugs (6 of them I think) and taking the Phillips head screws out. The TV is held in place by a strap arrangement. There are two nuts that must be removed to disassemble the strap. Not much access room so it took a while to unscrew the nuts - one on each side.
The TV weighs about 55 pounds so it might be good to have two people to take it out but I did it alone.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, BlueRay DVD player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they may help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.

You can watch the TV fine with the hold downs in place so I don't remove them until we are stopped for a while and want access to the storage area.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #8

Thanks Clay. The images really help. You did overkill with the paneling behind the TV

On the articulating arm, did you mount it on the TV first then worked backward to see where the base should be mounted on the side or was there enough flexibility to just place it anywhere?

Also, as I'm new to this, I know when I'm using shore power, the TV/DVD/SAT is powered by the outlets. How is it powered when driving? (I don't want to run the Generator) and this does have a inverter next to the equipment up top (I can see power leads to the inverter and the inverter itself is plugged into the same outlet as the TV/DVD/SAT. There are 2 outlet at the back of the inverter. So just by deduction, should all my equipment run through the back of the inverter as I'm guessing it draws power and pass through when it's on shore power and drawing from motor 12v (or is it from the house 12v) when driving? Oh, there is a power switch on the inverter, currently off. Sorry a bit off topic. I've ordered a mount already to test and 40" LED is on the way so I want to get everything squared away.

Thanks in advance.

and to noeldale, my bedroom tv is on a 45 degree corner shelf up high. Wanted to see what others have done. Simple would be to mount another short articulated arm and leave shelf or something more creative to utilize the existing corner shelf since its there already.......
Old 12-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
See MY ALBUM for what we had done.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #10

Thanks Lori / nlovinit for the link.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:53 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The process can be found in the "upgrades" link in my signature block.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:03 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with the widest screen model I could fit between the left and right cabinets. Has worked well for the past five years. Hard mounted to the old framing using aluminum bar stock. Really didn't have much need for keeping stuff behind the TV.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ljsrfti4yveVuK3U8
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverl8 View Post
Thanks Clay. The images really help. You did overkill with the paneling behind the TV

On the articulating arm, did you mount it on the TV first then worked backward to see where the base should be mounted on the side or was there enough flexibility to just place it anywhere?

Also, as I'm new to this, I know when I'm using shore power, the TV/DVD/SAT is powered by the outlets. How is it powered when driving? (I don't want to run the Generator) and this does have a inverter next to the equipment up top (I can see power leads to the inverter and the inverter itself is plugged into the same outlet as the TV/DVD/SAT. There are 2 outlet at the back of the inverter. So just by deduction, should all my equipment run through the back of the inverter as I'm guessing it draws power and pass through when it's on shore power and drawing from motor 12v (or is it from the house 12v) when driving? Oh, there is a power switch on the inverter, currently off. Sorry a bit off topic. I've ordered a mount already to test and 40" LED is on the way so I want to get everything squared away.

Thanks in advance.
SNIP...
I mounted the arm as close to the front as I could and set the up and down position by measuring where it would fit on the TV and made it center the TV. We never used the TV while driving. I am not sure how Winnebago has their inverters set up.
As a full timer the storage behind the TV was valuable to us.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
I mounted the arm as close to the front as I could and set the up and down position by measuring where it would fit on the TV and made it center the TV. We never used the TV while driving. I am not sure how Winnebago has their inverters set up.
As a full timer the storage behind the TV was valuable to us.
I have been told that front tv does not get power while ignition is engaged ( safety feature to avoid distracted driving).

If OP wants bedroom TV to easily operate without shore power, when selecting the replacement TV they might seek one that runs on 12V (might find one that needs alter a cord alteration; I found an inexpensive small one at RiteAid of all places).
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace