Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #1

Any T-Mobile Users

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting T-Mobile. Their senior plan, over 55, is $60 for two phone with unlimited everything.

Data is always an issue for me when on the road. The wife is always on her phone and kills are data fast.

My biggest concern is getting service while on the road. The T-Mobile rep said service in city areas is always good but he didnt sound to positive for rural areas.

We are starting to plan some cross country trips. I would like cell service for emergency purposes.

So if you have T-Mobile please let me know the good and bad about the service.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

We switched from AT&T to TMobile in December of last year. The service has been generally good when we're close to larger areas but drops off quickly when in rural areas. We have lived just outside of Wilmington, NC and outside Atlanta, GA in the last year and have needed to use a TMobile device in our house for coverage. It plugs into our router and creates a cell tower in our house.

We went from Atlanta to Denver and back this summer and had good coverage for 90% of the trip. I used the iHeart app the whole way. The unlimited data has definitely been good! We both have iPhones and i was anle to use the HDMI adapter for Amazon video and Netflix in the RV. The Spectrum TV app would not work.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #3

In the boonies and off the freeway TMobile is not real dependable for data. ATT would be a better choice if you already have a gsm phone. Verizon is best. Total wireless uses Verizon and is reasonable. So are some of the other 2nd tier carriers that use ATT. Check around.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MetroPCS here, on the T-Mobile Network. Good coverage in populated areas. Spotty coverage outside populated areas. For the savings it works ok for us. But we do have a hotspot device in AT&T that we use for internet access.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #5

Agreed on the coverage. I have T-Mobile on my work provided phone. At one point I could see their tower about 1/4 mile away and could not get Service on my patio.
They have improved quite a lot but once you het away from the populated areas, Service is sporadic. I boom dock in the SoCal desert a lot and have to use my friends AT&T or Verizon phones if I need to make a call. I probably would not have them if it wasn’t paid by the company.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgpd1sam View Post
Agreed on the coverage. I have T-Mobile on my work provided phone. At one point I could see their tower about 1/4 mile away and could not get Service on my patio.
They have improved quite a lot but once you het away from the populated areas, Service is sporadic. I boom dock in the SoCal desert a lot and have to use my friends AT&T or Verizon phones if I need to make a call. I probably would not have them if it wasn’t paid by the company.

Please excuse fat fingered typos.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #7

Thanks for your replies. Please keep them coming
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Had T-Mobile and hated it. If you have Comcast cable or Internet, Xfinity Mobile is hard to beat. Uses the Verizon network plus it locks onto Xfinity networks when possible reducing data charges.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #9

Have T Mobile +55. It sucks unless you are in a large city or interstate highway. We were assured by the T Mobile rep that we would have great service from Waco Texas down US 77 to Corpus Christi and GREAT coverage at Corpus Christi NAS. Neither is true. With Verizon wife could stream video all the way from Waco To Corpus and no dropped calls. With T Mobile video buffered or dropped every 5 minutes and she had 6 dropped calls. At Corpus Christi NAS half of her calls get dropped. These are new Samsung T Mobile phones. Others in the campground with T Mobile i phones have the same issues. We are going back to Verizon next month. T Mobile may be great for some but not for us.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

I bought T-Mobile once since it had world wide capabilities and we were going on a around the world cruise. Worked good for that, but at home I never could get good service. My SimpliSafe alarm service used T-Mobile and had a lot of problems. SimpliSafe sent a Verizon module and all was better. So unless you are in the heart of a city all of time, I would steer clear of T-Mobile and go for AT&T or Verizon.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

Verizon is looking better and better after reading all these opinions
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #12

Dw and me share the TMobile 55 plan for $60 a month total. Worked well most of the way on our recent trip from Seattle to Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Arches NPs. Not always though especially for lte data.
We both have dual SIM phones and get Freedom Pop free service (really free). 200 minutes voice, 500 texts and 250 Meg's of lte data. They use ATT network. Filled in the spots TMobile did not work very well with data room to spare. We are not huge data users anyway, so if you are, might not work well.
We like TMobile for the free/cheap international benefits or I would dump them and use the Total Wireless 2 phones share 15g lte data with unlimited calls and texts for $60 total. A little less for auto pay. They use Verizon network.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #13

In my experience T-Mobile generally works very well in most urban/suburban areas (sometimes faster than Verizon or AT&T) and many rural areas as well but overall rural coverage definitely falls behind Verizon and AT&T. Where T-Mobile really shines is the free international coverage (full-speed in Canada/Mexico and throttled outside of North America), definitively the least expensive and easiest way to go in that regard. Was very happy with T-Mobile on a recent trip to Canada and Alaska (but then again in those cases I was actually roaming on other carriers, even though it was transparent.) T-Mobile used to have the best streaming options as well but recently that has been matched by Verizon and AT&T (if nothing else you can thank T-Mo for providing the competition necessary to force the other providers to be more competitive in terms of features and pricing.)

T-Mobile just paid $8 billion dollars for nationwide 600 MHz spectrum and as they build that out over the next few years they may go from also-ran to leader in many rural areas, but we're not there yet. In the meantime if you want the best possible 'sticks' coverage you can't beat having one device on Verizon and another on AT&T, since when you get way out there sometimes only one carrier (Verizon or AT&T) may have coverage, but not necessarily both. Or the area will actually be served by a small rural carrier and only one (Verizon or AT&T) will have a roaming agreement.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
WRP

Thank You. I was thinking of switching. I love Verizon but it is double the price.
WRP is offline   Reply With Quote