RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Anyone use Amazon Fire Stick?

Does it work on local campground wi-fi?

Any ideas?

Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

A Fire Stick will work on a campground wifi but you are unlikely to have the bandwidth to do any serious streaming.

More importantly, the Fire Stick is a piece of junk compared to the equivalent Roku stick (or any other Roku). There are far fewer "channels" available and the stream would freeze randomly. I looked at the user reviews on Amazon and the freezing problem appeared to be common. I returned my FireStick after a week and bought a Roku (my second one).

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

So are you saying the Roku will stream when the Fire Stick will not?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
It will depend on what you will be using the Fire Stick or Roku for. I have two Fire Sticks at my S&B to watch only Amazon Prime. I don't believe either will do very good at a campground due to the bandwidth or data plans required.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Streaming using campground wifi rarely works, regardless of device. If you happen to have good cellular service, you may have better luck using your phone as a hotspot and streaming that way. Whatever streaming device you get would be connected to your phone's hotspot.

On devices--I'm a fan of the Apple TV product. Seems more stable than others out there.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickthescot View Post
So are you saying the Roku will stream when the Fire Stick will not?
If you are asking if the Roku works without freezing compared to the Fire Stick, the answer is "yes" but I don't think that has anything to do with working where a Fire Stick doesn't. The customer reviews of the Fire Stick (as of last month) reported that it froze a lot.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The only time our Fire Stick froze up was when the internet was screwing up. It is set up on the other side of the house from where the router is. But you have to have a fast internet which I am sure you would need on all the other brands also. IMHO which one you get will depend on what you plan to watch. We plan on watching only Amazon Prime.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We plan on watching only Amazon Prime.
FWIW we have Amazon Prime video, along with Netflix and Huluplus, and find we hardly ever use Amazon. Different streaming services have significantly different content, some movies and TV shows are on one and not the others. Furthermore, almost every time we check Amazon to see if they have a particular show we find that it isn't included in the Prime selections and would have to be purchased. Yes, you can live with just Amazon Prime, but for ~$8/mo for Netflix and Hulu we find that our streaming experience is significantly enhanced.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
On devices--I'm a fan of the Apple TV product. Seems more stable than others out there.

I'm a big fan of Apple TV, because my kids and I all have Apple products with vast iTunes music, movie, and pictures on Macs and iPhones. It just works. However, it's just not as stable for RVPark video streaming as the Sony Media Devices.

You really do need good wireless bandwidth if you intend to stream video. Streaming video with any cellular plan is a losing proposition due to data caps. Two full length HD movies will easily consume a monthly 10GB data plan! That' it!! Two movies.

I own AppleTV, Sony Media Streaming Devices, Sony Google TV device, and a Chromecast dongle. The Apple TV does not include Amazon Prime movies, if you have access to those. If you have great bandwidth the AppleTV is the best experience. If you have marginal bandwidth the Chromecast and Sony devices still work.

If you have really bad bandwidth, (like with "free" WiFi at a campground or RVPark), then only the Sony Media Device has the ability to buffer enough data internally to provide a viewable experience.

The best part about this is that the Sony Media devices never really caught on with the general public, so they can be found on clearance! I paid $5.00 for the Sony SMP-N100 at Best Buy, and $10 for the Sony NSZ-GS8 Digital Media Streamer at Micro Center.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the FireStick, the Apple TV, WifiRanger, all the iDevices you can imagine, and the Macbook(s) with all my movies / tv show collection. we run Plex to "serve" the movies via FireStick to the TV, and Apple TV also (same function, different TVs. since WiFiRanger is our 'internal' router, all works fine. Why the firstick and AppleTV.. seems redundant. Well as I am Amazon Prime Member we get all Amazon TV for Free. Not doable on AppleTV. Yes it available on iDevices (iPads, iPhones) but AirPlay is disabled, so i can't view it on the big TV. FireTV fixed that. Crashing? nope not yet at least.
-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

I use Amazon Firestick and it has been the best device I have ever used so far. If to know how to use it properly, one can obtain total freedom to watch whatever and whenever you want. I have recently stumbled upon one nice recource with the info one needs for effective use of FireStick - https://www.firesticktricks.com/firestick.html . Nice informative portal with actual and constantly updating information.
Daniel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #12

As the thread is indicating, the real issue is sufficient internet bandwidth for any type of streaming. Once you have a good availability, then a Roku, an Android TV, a Firestick essentially all do the same thing and dependent on model, do a good job with lots of media choices.

Then there is the user interface which in general they all are very useable but one tends to get into a groove with one vs. the other.

then there are the services that the device ships natively with. We tend to fall in love with X vs. Y and if the second device doesn't support X then it stinks.

In my day job, we have them all, support them all, and there are groups that like one over the other.

But, the real issue is No Internet Availability at Campsites. So, if you don't have Local media (on a hard drive) or have a satellite dish, or no access to Over the Air (antenna), then no Media.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #13

I use the Fire Sticks on my bedroom TV in the MH and S&B with my Hopper 3 instead of Joeys. A little slower than a Joey but it is free.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:15 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Best thing about the Firestick , when my dish is blocked I can use the firestick with Dish Anywhere app, which is not on the Roku.

Hpyhilm is offline   Reply With Quote