Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Are there Blu-ray recorders for sale in stores

I have a 2015 coach with Directv Travler dish on the roof, a DVR in the bedroom and another receiver in the front of the coach, also a BluRay player at each position. With switches I can receive satellite channels (both from the roof and also an outside stand-alone-dish), campground cable, and over the air with the bat wing. But I can only record satellite programs, nothing else.

What am I looking for to be able to record programs OTA or from cable? Do they make a BluRay recorder or even a small VHS recorder/player for tapes? I have an older VHS tape recorder/player in the house but it's so big and bulky. It's terrible to be so hooked on certain reality programs we hate to miss any.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you looking for something like this?Robot Check
Old 02-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
This will allow you to record OTA signals in HD on your DirecTV DVR.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #4

Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMRE.../dp/B0031WRG56

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
wagonmaster2, I'm not a Directv person but if you can connect your OTA to your DirecTv receiver or get the local stations on your DirecTV receiver you should be able to record the local programs. We are also addicted to some network programs and that's how we do it with our Dish setup. But just in case here is a good article to read.
https://www.groundedreason.com/ota-dvr-without-cable/
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replys. Had no idea those products were available to purchase. I'll have to figure out which one will do the most good for me and be the simplest to connect.

As for the ability to record local channels or OTA programs on the Directv DVR, I can do exactly that if my service location happens to be where I'm located at the time. But if I'm camped outside the local channel reception area controlled by Directv then I have no option but to use the roof mounted bat wing antena for local channels, which is what has brought up my original question. I can view OTA with the bat wing or use the campground cable if available but have no way to record in either situation.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I can view OTA with the bat wing or use the campground cable if available but have no way to record in either situation.
For those situations I have an EPVision PHD-VRX2 DVR. It has ATSC (digital OTA), NTSC (analog cable), and QAM (digital cable) tuners in it. It can tune and record from the ATSC and QAM digital tuners. It can tune NTSC analog (analog campground cable), but it can't record those signals. (Tuning analog cable is important to me since I have a plasma monitor with no tuner as a TV.) With dual tuners I can record two programs at once, even one from OTA and one from digital cable.

It is also a good media player.

It is rare that I need to resort to campground analog cable systems, so I can live with having to watch live in those cases. (Or rely on my home DVR to have recorded it for later when I get home.)
Old 02-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #8

MRUSA14 and Jim A - Both the products you have recommended sounds like what I really need, but in trying to read the specifications/instructions shown for the items I'm not sure just how to use them.

Do they attach between the OTA or campground cable and the Directv DVR? I'm trying to figure out how to hook either one up to my Directv DVR. Can you explain how you've got it connected in your coach?
The EPVision mentions using an external USB HDD and I'm not sure what that means as far as my usage.
Appreciation any instructions you can furnish for my connection.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

The EPVision is completely independent of the Directv DVR system. It has two RF inputs on the back, and an HDMI output to the TV. I put a splitter on my OTA coax, and routed one to the RF input for tuner 2. The other I routed to an A/B switch. I also connected the coax from the campground cable to the other input on the A/B switch. The output from the A/B switch goes to RF input for tuner 1.

As set up, I can select whether the OTA or cable goes to tuner 1. OTA always goes to tuner 2.

To record programs you need to provide a USB external hard drive to hold the recordings. A 1TB HDD costs about $60 now at any number of places.

It pretty much operates like an old fashioned VCR. You can either record by setting the start and stop times manually, or by selecting the program off of the programming list provided by the broadcaster. As you need to tune to a channel to get this list, you can't "search" for a program like you can with Tivo or Directv DVR's, where you are paying a monthly fee for such programming information. With the EPVision there is no monthly fee. Once you buy it and the hard drive, there is no more expenditure of money on it.

The manual is available on their website.

The EPVision is not without its quirks. It can be frustrating! But it does the job for those times when Directv is not available, and you don't want to watch OTA live.

The AM21 is the only option that will incorporate into the Directv DVR, and it connects to the DVR by USB (and the OTA coax connects to the AM21). Unfortunately if you are in the trees and can't get Directv, you can't use it either!!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I have an EPVision PHD-VRX2 DVR. It has ATSC (digital OTA), NTSC (analog cable), and QAM (digital cable) tuners in it.
Any way to connect it to the Internet?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #11

No, it doesn't connect to the internet. I have that capability in my Blu-ray sound system. And I rarely use that capability due to unreliable wifi streaming anyway.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
The AM-21 is very effective and simple to use. You plug one cable between it and the back of your DVR. You run a coax cable to the AM-21 from your batwing or other OTA antenna. This can be easily done using a simple antenna splitter at the back of your TV. The splitter will send the OTA antenna signal to both your TV and the AM-21. After you have done this the AM-21 will show up on your DirecTV settings menu, where you will do an OTA channel scan, the same as you do with your TV. It will ask for your Zip Code, and voila! The OTA channels will now show on the DirecTV Guide. You can now select programs to record in exactly the same way that you select satellite programs to record. Your DVR can now select and record anything that is received over the air. Attached below is the installation and operating manual for the AM-21. Before purchasing, verify that it is compatible with your model of DirecTV DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
MRUSA14 and Jim A - Both the products you have recommended sounds like what I really need, but in trying to read the specifications/instructions shown for the items I'm not sure just how to use them.

Do they attach between the OTA or campground cable and the Directv DVR? I'm trying to figure out how to hook either one up to my Directv DVR. Can you explain how you've got it connected in your coach?
The EPVision mentions using an external USB HDD and I'm not sure what that means as far as my usage.
Appreciation any instructions you can furnish for my connection.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AM21_GuideBW_Web_092110.pdf (1.05 MB, 27 views)
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #13

I'm sure this is going to be a very dumb question but at the end of the Users Guide for the AM21 says "Note: you must subscribe to HD Acess in order for the Directv USB OFF-AIR TUNER to function". What does this mean, other than you must be subscribed to Directv?
Old 02-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #14

I'm using an AM-21 on my Directv Genie and it works great. Unfortunately you need to have a satellite signal before it will work. Now that I think about it I know it will work without a satellite signal because I use it at home to receive local storm information when I lose the sat signal due to storms. Maybe you just need a satellite signal to initially set it up. Weird. Anyway, it works great and you can usually find them on Ebay for a reasonable price.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale