Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #141

I and I assume most Mac guys/gals are reading this thread and just laughing. Have fun, get at it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #142

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is just another conspiracy theory. Suggest you read the following.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/does-wi...er-spoiler-no/
Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 AM   #143

Hmm,

I guess fortune magazine was wrong. Funny, you would think a major publication would check out the facts before publishing.

Forbes Welcome

Dave
awschucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #144

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I was just at a gathering and watching people commiserating over their latest fruit phone updates and how their systems are all screwed up since this supposed update came out. When I said welcome to the dark side none of them understood the implication.

I am presently using a 13 + year old tower on XP for my main computer. No problems and I have no plans to upgrade. Funny thing is my virus scanner and malware system are not going of nearly as often. I guess the attacks people have gone on to bigger and better things.

banking and etc never done here as I get paranoid about it.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I was just at a gathering and watching people commiserating over their latest fruit phone updates and how their systems are all screwed up since this supposed update came out. When I said welcome to the dark side none of them understood the implication.

I am presently using a 13 + year old tower on XP for my main computer. No problems and I have no plans to upgrade. Funny thing is my virus scanner and malware system are not going of nearly as often. I guess the attacks people have gone on to bigger and better things.

banking and etc never done here as I get paranoid about it.
Progress is spending hours cursing at my latest Windows 8 (perpetually being upgraded with updates) computer. Whenever I am bored and want to get the blood racing again, I just sit down in front of this thing and low and behold, my heart rate has jumped to near dangerous levels when DW says "Enough already, go for a walk".
So now I have made my "Reservation" with MS to upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as they see fit to accommodate "My particular device". Can't wait.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #146

Monaco Owners Club
I have an XP in Parallels that I run VMSPc. Otherwise I am glad to have abandoned MS over a decade ago. OSX is not perfect, however, Apple sells computers that at some point actually have to work. MS sells software and at that point their business model is done with you, except for incremental income from additional features. MS has used their virtual monopoly very well.

I have just typed this on an 8 YO MacBook on it's third HD, now an SSD.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #147

Currently running 5 laptops and a desktop on XP. Have Vista and 7 because I retired from doing service work and needed to know the OS's. Slowly switching to Linux because I am tired of the Microsoft game of changing everything so new stuff can be told from old and their latest whizbang of making everything a tablet. At least with Linux I can go through one more learning curve and relax. So many applications have matured to the point where there is little new to want. The stuff with constant upgrades is going web based so is OS agnostic.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #148

Rexhall Owners Group
Went from 7 to 10...wish I hadn't.

Win7 was giving me no problems...now, Win 10 crashes several times per week.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #149

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John USA View Post
Went from 7 to 10...wish I hadn't.

Win7 was giving me no problems...now, Win 10 crashes several times per week.

Roll back should be available for 30 days. After then the previous OS is removed.

That said, your system should of course not be crashing. Likely a device driver for some device causing the issue. If you can determine what device is in use or activated when the crash occurs, then check the vendors web site for updates. Or go into that device in device manager, driver tab, and select update driver. This will check windows update for optional updates from the vendor that are not automatically pushed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When I did our conversions (three and about to do the fourth) I read somewhere (instructions maybe) to not fool with the device being upgraded until the whole process is complete. You may want to reinstall the win 10 upgrade and just let it do its thing until complete. Three units running glitchless here.

BTW a Macbook pro where I live is $1,600.00
I can get a PC of comparable size, speed and storage for under $400.00
So I can throw away three non functioning and still be under the Macbook price when done. I no longer need a computer I use a computer and I just run with the pack.

Of course I've been accused of throwing nickles around like they are manhole covers, so YMMV.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #151

Cult of the Mac! Mac pro's about 1100 to 1200, every where. The difference being you probably have to throw 3 or 4 of those cheapie a away to get one that works and then it doesn't have OS X.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #152

I did the Windows 10 upgrade on my Win8.1 HP laptop. It hosed it so bad (wouldn't boot) I had to re-install from backup DVDs before being able to put my system image back on - not fun when you're in a campground 1000 miles from home and a good internet connection. Not only am I sticking with 8.1, but I make sure I never install any "upgrades" that put the "Get Win10" icon back on my computer.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #153

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Cult of the Mac! Mac pro's about 1100 to 1200, every where. The difference being you probably have to throw 3 or 4 of those cheapie a away to get one that works and then it doesn't have OS X.
I agree. I found a web site that's trustworthy to buy used /refurbished MAC's.
Other World Computing (OWC) - Performance Upgrades For Your Mac
Old 10-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #154

Monaco Owners Club
A friend recently gave me an old Toshiba satellite that was upgraded to Win 10 Home. I wanted a computer to work with some motorcycle diagnostic tools that are only supported on windows.

I set up the home network only to find you can't print the home network share key from the link provided. You have to select the old IE then it will print, apparently this function is not supported in edge. Further, Cortana can be turned off but still loads and draws on RAM resources. Some things never change.

Tags
window