RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

AT&T $15/month Unlimited Connected Car Plan

Less than the Mobley Plan. May have both PrePaid (Auto Renewal) and PostPaid options?

Quote:
Get unlimited data in your vehicle for $15/mo.*

*Ends 10/31/19. After 22GB/line/mo. AT&T may temporarily slow data speeds when the network is busy.
https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/gmc.html

May be for GMC Vehicles:
One Page has:

Quote:
Available on select vehicles model year 2015 and newer
Another Page has:

Quote:
We have options available for most vehicles 1996 and newer.
https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/vlt.html
EDIT: I am having problems using/searching Checking vehicle compatibility via their site at this time.
EDIT2: I can search if I first click the Current AT&T wireless customers button (I am a customer already with the Mobley Plan). Does require VIN or Vehicle subscriber number.

Perhaps there will be a way to take advantage of this in the Coach (via Toad or with a purchased device moved to the Coach).

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post

Perhaps there will be a way to take advantage of this in the Coach (via Toad or with a purchased device moved to the Coach).
I don't think so...
Look at the bold sentence in this article.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ons...-for-15-month/

Old 09-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club

There is an easier way to get this. If you bought an eligible car at any time you would have received some complementary unlimited data, usually 6 months. You also get the OnStar trial package and so on. If you let this expire, the hotspot is still active but has no data allowance. But you have a GM account, that came with the car.

If you let it expire, just log back into your GM account, select Data Plan, and select the unlimited data plan. This will cost you $15.05 a month, and it renews automatically until cancelled.

I did this this morning, took all of 5 minutes, and I have unlimited data by ATT in my GMC for $15.05 (no idea why the 5 cents). There is no way to move this into the coach, it is hard wired to the car. But I can use all I want while driving.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

The service is locked to the car as a part of the onstar device ...you can’t remove it. the car must be “on” or the connection quits after a short time ( to save car battery)
Any GM car with onstar built after 2015 ? is compatible with this service , simply , earlier onstar equipped cars aren’t. So virtually any GM car after 2015. ( your number , I didn’t look it up ,but sounds correct )
GM doesn’t want you to use this as a primary system and aim it to the real estate / on road business or parents with kids watching videos on the way to the store etc. they try very much to lock it down to those uses and have learned from their earlier attempt ( google Mobley) to limit it to car use only
This is one of my backup systems but not a primary use plan as the car has to be on for that movie etc to continue streaming. Not so good for use in the rv . I will say the onstar power and better antenna does seem to get a stronger connection.
The DW uses it for her laptop while I’m driving in the car ( 2017 volt) to get documents and do online conferences for her contract work. She can work on the way to our sightseeing destination saving time
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

How far away from the vehicle can you use the WiFi?
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Probably not far and would depend on the equipment in the vehicle. Perhaps @Johnontheroad would do a test outside his vehicle.

Is hotspot/data active with the Key at the Accessory position?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:

On my volt I can get 30’ maybe 50’ from the car .. I suspect the “WiFi” is pretty weak so it’s intentionally confined to the car. I have a WiFi booster in the rv (ubiquity) and can see it and retransmit on its stronger internal router. Again this isn’t a good permanent solution. It will work for the weekend warriors short vacation etc but you do have to make concessions
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
On my volt I can get 30’ maybe 50’ from the car .. I suspect the “WiFi” is pretty weak so it’s intentionally confined to the car. I have a WiFi booster in the rv (ubiquity) and can see it and retransmit on its stronger internal router. Again this isn’t a good permanent solution. It will work for the weekend warriors short vacation etc but you do have to make concessions

Thanks for the reply. I signed up for it, but living outside of any cell service, so far, I am unable to set the SSID and password for the WiFi - I can see the access point from inside my house so I know it is activated.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I signed up for it, but living outside of any cell service, so far, I am unable to set the SSID and password for the WiFi - I can see the access point from inside my house so I know it is activated.
You have to do it online or through the GM/Chevy APP.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
You have to do it online or through the GM/Chevy APP.

I tried to do it online. I get an error saying it cannot connect to the vehicle, although it activated it without any problems. I am wondering if I need to be in cell range of an AT&T tower.

EDIT: After talking to OnStar, They cannot connect to me where I live. Next time I get back to "civilization" I'll connect and get it set up.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
It will work for the weekend warriors short vacation etc but you do have to make concessions

and that price...
Old 09-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

We use it for streaming in camp at times. The ignition has to be in accessory, and it can drain the battery in a few hours. Sometimes I’ll just use the remote start in the mornings if I just want internet for a few minutes to check on things.

I can set the SSID and password using the infotainment screen in the truck.

Usually we use other means because it’s not very energy efficient, but there are times the rooftop antenna on the truck will get a signal when nothing else will.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #13

Do you have to have the other OnStar features activated also?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Do you have to have the other OnStar features activated also?
If you’re asking me, no I have only the connected car plan, which I purchased directly from AT&T.