Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

AT&T Home Phone and Internet

Last month I started using a new internet provider and phone service it's called At&t Home phone with internet I've also heard it called a Rural plan. It allows you to take the rented(with 2 yr.contract) or purchase out right(199.99) modem any place your Nomadic RV heart wants (Hotspot) with in US territory's. With the Rural plan (selected areas) you can get 250 or 500 Gbytes and in other areas it's the standard unlimited plans. it comes with a battery for outages but uses a wall plug aka wall wart(someone else's saying ) The break down is 20 for unlimited phone and 40 for data (250 plan) It works like standard modem that you can make secure(pw).
At this time I'm SlingTv streaming and internet surfing when needed and I had my old home phone number ported over to At&t and is considered a wireless phone(no texting). The modem also has two threaded connector for antenna's (SMA) when boon docking or needing a stronger signal and two cordless phone jacks
Just wanted to pass along the ZTE MF279
Oh ya your not buffered down when you reach 22G on the rural plan.
I believe some of the other carriers have something similar I guess.
Forgot to mention this 4G LTE on the high end depending on what tower your connected to when Rving.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting.

So, the modem is a cellular data router?

These plans which rely on cellular data receivers, are great as long as you are within their coverage map...how is that working out for your travels?

We picked our cellular carrier after finding major gaps in the coverage map where we travel for AT&T and T-mobile...but even that doesn't always work.
And due to data usage for video, we do not reply on cellular internet for TV...using a SAT...works literally everywhere.
Just the way we do it.

I can see that the competing technologies are trying to replace Cable and SAT for TV like cellular has replaced the land-line phone...but I don't think they are there yet.
And wireless internet (SAT, microwave, or cellular) is in the future, but really - can it ever compete with a wired broadband for speed, reliability, and cost?

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

I'd love to have one of those rural plans, but your residency area has to be in what they consider rural to get it, right? I keep telling my mother to go see if she qualifies for that plan. The cable and phone companies won't even run a line down her road (rural condo complex with only about 10 residents so far). Her "home" phone is cellular and she has to share her 10GB of data per month on her phone with her hot-spot.

I'm using a Mobley to work from the road and have only been to one park in the past 9 months with no service from AT&T and in that park even Verizon didn't have coverage so I'm going to assume that you'll have good luck with that.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

ThomB when I first heard and researched the home phone with internet(rural plan 250 Gb) was running a test area in the SE u.s.! in early 2017 and then removed from market(internet reading) I started calling AT&T in Sept. and spoke to a rep who said I could have it when I was ready. My contract with Centurylink ended 1/22/2018 I called At&t on the 15th to start process. It takes about one to two weeks to port your old land line over to AT&T digital number(cell phone wo/texting) sorry to run on but when everything was ready my plan at first was using the unlimited plus plan for my data. It took me about 3 department reps. to get it change to the rural plan I had wanted in the beginning and was told I could have.
I'm wondering though is the home phone with internet standard setup with a unlimited plan(plus or choice) to more areas and the rural 250Gb plan just in selected areas?
It seems all the carriers are pushing their Unlimited plans even when you don't need or want it or in AT&T case DirecTv or DirecTv Now also.
Have your mom give them a call or you can do a check with her zip code on the att site but calling is still the best(imo)
Old 02-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Wow. It would take me a year to use 250 GB. My Verizon XXL plan gives me the router and 26 GB each month with any unused data carried forward on a very confusing schedule. The router alone costs me 20/month plus my cell wireless plan. Wish I would have been aware of the AT&T offering the Mobley unlimited plan for 20/month but discovered it too late. I think it's 60/month now.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

Scarab0088, yes the modem is cellular combined modem (mobile Hot spot) that's the reason that your old land line phone number needs to be digitized(ported) for your carrier to use and broadcast as a cell phone number(with out texting ability) up to 10 users on WiFi and a Ethernet cable port and two phone line ports.
Due to a knee replacement next month I won't be able to travel around in my Class C conversation to test in different locations for a few months.
I fill I did the right thing by cutting another cord

But in the end, if all fells we'll all be using semaphore flags for communication Semper Fi
Old 02-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

BigSkyBob fitting avatar for you travels. That's the reason I want 250Gb plan instead of unlimited. even though I stream tv (slingTv) anything free using my Roku4. I know while rving I don't watch a lot of tv except in the evening. I do like we all do try to socialize when possible.
I'm still new with this system and that's the reason for no contract(purchased out right)
Happy trails
Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #8

I知 working full time from the road so having this would be a huge bonus to me. I知 currently using a Mobley, but if they end that program I知 in big trouble. I知 using about 100G/month minimum of data.

Tags
internet