Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
AT&T Plus Directv Packages?

I am not a fan of AT&T even though I have the Mobley setup with them. But I will be out of my Verizon contract next month. I have had Directv since 2001, but it is getting expensive. So I will be checking into what type of discounts I would get with switching to AT&T to pair with my Directv system.

What will complicate things is I will need a new AT&T phone, plus a tablet. I am using a Verizon Ellipse tablet and my wife has a Samsung tablet. As far as I know AT&T does not have a tablet themselves. We both prefer Android systems.

As anyone switched and actually saved some money? I also don't know which would be the best way to check into this. The options are calling some other country to talk to a CS person or visiting a store to talk to a person that is most likely part-time help.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #2

As an option to changing service do as many of us have done. Call Verizon and tell them that you're thinking of changing service providers because they're too expensive. They will probably come up with a plan that's less expensive. My plan covers 2 phones, unlimited calling, texting and unlimited data and I pay $110 per month

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #3

I switched to directv and att wireless unlimited plus a few months ago and happy so far. We signed up through sams club and received a $200 gift card for signing up directv. We also received two $150 gift cards for signing up att wireless unlimited plus. We purchased two samsung s8 with buy one get one free. Sold old phones on cl. Received a $10 monthly discount for auto pay. Also received a $25 monthly discount directv plus a $55 monthly discount for directv for 24 months new subscribers. Cancelled my home internet from Cox and use mobile hotspot from att. I'm set for 2 years then have to figure out best deal then. They offer best deals to new subscribers.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
My phone contracts run out next month, but my Directv contract does not run out until March.

I plan on giving Verizon a go for the best deal also. Right now I am paying about $200/month for my Verizon and Directv service. The data package with Verizon is the minimum amount of data. I also have the $20/month AT&T Mobley unlimited data plan not included in the $200/month cost and a 2 year contract on it.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AT&T is offering DirecTV Now, which is different than DirecTV. The lower priced plan has channels you likely don’t watch. I cancelled mine and have a Roku collecting dust. Investigate throughly before committing.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #6

I recently checked out my options with AT&T. As usual, their "deals" are really no deals at all. I ended up keeping my DTV service as is, an switching to T-Mobile 55+ for my phones. $60/month for 2 lines, unlimited everything including hotspot, taxes included. T-Mobile US coverage has REALLY expanded in the last year or so and includes Canada and Mexico as well.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbing View Post
I switched to directv and att wireless unlimited plus a few months ago and happy so far. We signed up through sams club and received a $200 gift card for signing up directv. We also received two $150 gift cards for signing up att wireless unlimited plus. We purchased two samsung s8 with buy one get one free. Sold old phones on cl. Received a $10 monthly discount for auto pay. Also received a $25 monthly discount directv plus a $55 monthly discount for directv for 24 months new subscribers. Cancelled my home internet from Cox and use mobile hotspot from att. I'm set for 2 years then have to figure out best deal then. They offer best deals to new subscribers.
Watch thaat direct tv pricing every month. They have perfected sneaking in extra fees here and there and yearly rate increases that soon eat up that 55 dollar discount. Also know that if you change anything on you package like change plans to add or remove channels they will use that as a reason to drop the special pricing and charge you whatever they want.

I like my direct tv, I dont like the billing, the cost, and how sneaky they are.

I considered bundling my direct tv and getting at&t but i find myself often in places where cell signal is not great and my verizon plan will give me a bar or two and even let data work. I tend to ask campers around me if they have signal and who they use. Very often i hear t-mobile or at&t and they do not have signal.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I recently checked out my options with AT&T. As usual, their "deals" are really no deals at all. I ended up keeping my DTV service as is, an switching to T-Mobile 55+ for my phones. $60/month for 2 lines, unlimited everything including hotspot, taxes included. T-Mobile US coverage has REALLY expanded in the last year or so and includes Canada and Mexico as well.
You might want to recheck your hotspot data allowance. I was told something different at a T-Mobile store. But every carrier seems to have misinformed employees when it comes to data. Or perhaps they just tell you what you want to hear - true or not.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #9

we had Verizon wireless Comcast tv and internet. our plan had expired on both services and like you wanted to get decent TV, internet and wireless. its was a confusing mess
stopped by Costco because they pretty much carried all wireless carriers thinking they could care less who we went with.
signed up with the whole ATT/Directv package. we saved at least $60 a month on TV internet with better channels. Att bought out my wife's contract on her Verizon phone saving us money, 2 for one and new Samsung 8 plus. dropped from 12 gig on Verizon to 3 gig (we don't use much Data) plus can stream directv on phone with no data usage then mirror to TV. 4th October signed up for mobley waited 3 weeks and finally was put on the unlimited plan. Costco threw in I'm thinking $300 gift cards it was by far the best deal we could find even the ATT store could not come close to what Costco had to offer.
just purchased the SLM3 Dish to set up when we do travel will take receiver from home so no extra charge there. best yet all locked in for 2 years. all in all feel pretty comfortable with the decision.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I had to check and this is correct. They offered me $25 off of my Directv service if only I had the most expensive packages they have which I do not want. This would have been $40/month more for me for the Directv. But I would get HBO/Cinemax free which I do not want.

With having to get an AT&T phone and tablet it would have also cost me $20/month more for the AT&T service. So it would cost me $60/month for me to switch from Verizon to AT&T.

Unless there is an amazing deal in the works for Black Friday I will stay with Verizon. There is nothing wrong with my phone or tablet that I have now. My Verizon bill should even come down some being my phone will be paid for next month.

Tags
directv