RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #43
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
My days with Directv are numbered. I am paying $134 with a $40 percent discount. Need a primer on switching to Dish.
Why not switch to a streaming service? I'm paying less than I was with DirecTV and that's with two (2) unlimited hotspots, one on AT&T and one on Verizon. I have no regrets.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #44

Well our biggest concern is the ability to record programs. As you aware of we are at the beginning of the fall season, have lots of shows recorded. We have Apple TV, no recording on that. They keep increasing the rates however, they never raised my pension.

2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #45
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Well our biggest concern is the ability to record programs. As you aware of we are at the beginning of the fall season, have lots of shows recorded.
I can only speak for YouTube TV because that is what I am using, but I have an "unlimited" cloud DVR capability that is held for 9 months. When I watch shows that I have recorded I am permitted to skip through commercials. I can also watch virtually any other shows using the Video on Demand feature but, in that case, I do have to watch commercials.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rade1949 View Post
I've had DirecTV for 18 years at home and watched prices climb thru the years.
I wanted to add ONE (1) channel that had the show "RV Flip" on it and they would not allow it - had to add a whole section of channels to get the one I wanted. SO ... that did it, I called and cancelled my service. After 18 years I have paid these guys OVER $20,000 and now I'm FREE. I "cut the cord" and now only stream channels w a Roku devise (a smart TV will do the same).
At the same time I cut off ATT for my cell phone service and switched to Verizon.
NO MORE AT&T. Woo-hoo!

PS. I believe cable services and sat dish services will be gone in a few years and everyone will be streaming everything.

I quit Directv seven years ago. Not a week goes by that I do not receive junk mail from them for re-instatement deals for a new account from them. Seems they keep your mailing address forever!!! They offer some pretty shady deals in my opinion. I only use antenna and streaming for my TV for now.

Spectrum is another company I shy away from.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Direct TV has always had worst support communication ever and now it is worse.
cesrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #48

We have DirecTV with excellent service, lower cost and better HD than Dish

The extra package allows 4 receivers for one price and we get about 300 Channels for just over Dishes best price for one location

Never going back to Dish and can't use streaming as most of the places we camp have poor cell service

We have unlimited data on Verizon but utilize that for the smart phones and apps

Take a good look at Dish before you jump as it was way too expensive for less service
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #49

Good advice however, the $174 per month bill is hard on my mind.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #50

Quote:
Good advice however, the $174 per month bill is hard on my mind.
If you have been with DirecTV for a couple years you can negotiate and get a great plan for less than 100 per month with multiple receivers
Old 10-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #51
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
If you have been with DirecTV for a couple years you can negotiate and get a great plan for less than 100 per month with multiple receivers
That used to be the case, but, from my own recent experience and from what I've read, I think DirecTV may more willing to let customers leave than it is to offer large discounts.

I get the sense is that they're willing to see how many people really need satellite TV because they don't have any other options. Then they'll be able to price it as a specialty service and charge any price they want. JMO
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I have used direct TV since 2005, but there people when you call are impossible to understand, with all the background noise. Have been on phone for 1.5 hrs once last week and another 1 hrs. They sent service man last week and did get it working. Coming back today. Sad
cesrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #53

Seems like every time I contact them my next bill is higher.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #54

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
That used to be the case, but, from my own recent experience and from what I've read, I think DirecTV may more willing to let customers leave than it is to offer large discounts.

I get the sense is that they're willing to see how many people really need satellite TV because they don't have any other options. Then they'll be able to price it as a specialty service and charge any price they want. JMO
This has been my experience also, they used to give you better pricing when you'd call and tell them you "were leaving" but no more. I used to get a discount for having AT&T on my cell service but that's gone now too. When I dumped DirecTv I dumped the ATT cell phone service and went back to Verizon. Happy for that as well.
I'm streaming now and using YouTubeTV ($50./month, no contract, unlimited DVR, local channels plus about 75 others- no sat dishes or cables and can go about anywhere).
Rade1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #55
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rade1949 View Post
I'm streaming now and using YouTubeTV ($50./month, no contract, unlimited DVR, local channels plus about 75 others- no sat dishes or cables and can go about anywhere).
We are also using YouTube TV. One other thing that I like about streaming is that any Smart TV (or Roku-equipped TV) can be part of the "system". Now I have an inexpensive outdoor TV without having to pay DirecTV a monthly fee for each TV. In addition, I am now also able to listen to my favorite news channel while driving by running the YouTube TV app on my phone.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
ATT Looking To Sell DirecTV

Cord cutter news has a story Today that fox is reporting a separate company is confirmed trying to combine dish and direct with att maintaining primary ownership of 51% but in a spin off company. Dish would get money for its 5g network build out and ATT would be out of day to day operations
They feel this will pass because of the recent T-Mobile Sprint merger approval. And the precident set by sirrus /XM combo as to survive they will need to combine. Better hope att doesn’t decide to take any operations control!

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, sell