RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

ATT Looking To Sell DirecTV

That may be good news for RVers. No one can screw up a company worse than ATT.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/att-...g-sources.html

az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
That may be good news for RVers. No one can screw up a company worse than ATT.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/att-...g-sources.html

SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

If it happens how much will it cost the users and will we lose dns service?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, AT&T will get rid of it now that they've destroyed it with poor service and high prices!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
If it happens how much will it cost the users and will we lose dns service?

We dont have DNS, so that wouldnt affect us, but as far as cost if they sell, I am willing to risk that.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
ATT Looking To Sell DirecTV

I read that they were talking with Dish about combining ( Dish buying Direct ) ATT has made clear they want to dump direct asap ! They have stopped their agents from any retention efforts ( offering deals to stay for a lower price ) call them now and say youíll switch to dish or cable and they say ok goodbye.
This would of course have to pass the regulators , as it would leave a single satellite tv service. Some say it wonít pass the feds .
Over a year ago I read a piece advocating that Dish would take over Direct as streaming builds and those not able to always stream would need satellite still for several years but not in the quantity to support 2 companies.
Btw dish offers DNS again but I believe itís only the west coast feed
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
ATT does suck

I had Directv when it first came out. Paid $1200 for the system from Sears and installed it myself. I had no problems with Directv until ATT bought them. The satellite dish was installed on the side of the house, so when I had siding installed we had to move the dish. Got the ok to move the dish to a metal pole next to the house buried and cemented in the ground 3 feet, and about 8 feet above the ground. About a year later after ATT took them over my box inside went out so I was going to update the unit. When they arrived to update the equipment they told me I had to install the dish on the roof or they could install it on a short pole in my front yard. I asked ATT if they installed it on my roof and they caused a leak was they going to be responsible for any damages and was told no. We live on a corner lot with the school a block away so I knew if the put the dish on a short pole in the front yard it would get moved that's why I had it next to the house and 8 feet in the air. I got tired of arguing with ATT and switched to our local cable service. Also the contract labor they used when you had a problem arrived driving about anything so you didn't know who it was.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it really depends on who they sell it to. Dish is unlikely as the regulators in the past have been concerned over a near monopoly of the satellite TV Market and honestly, there aren't too many instances of only having one choice ever being good for the consumer. Anyone who does buy will need to have capital to keep the service running , the satellites aren't exactly cheap and "Pre-ATT" Directv was pretty good about regular updates to the operating system and boxes, all at which come at a drain on cash.

If they get someone with deep pockets and a commitment to the market, it could rebound back to what it was, if they get another company looking to just "wring value" out of the acquisition, the subscriber drop is going to continue and the fees are going to go up to offset the loss in revenue.

I was a Directv customer for many years, actually just shut my account down last night. (unrelated to this news, we had been talking about dropping for a year or so as our viewing habits have changed). While the agent was nice, there was no attempt to retain my business, unlike in years past where if you tried to leave you immediately got transferred to retention.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #9

This kind of change would be similar to the Sirius/XM merger which they were able to get through the regulatory hoops.
SteveCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Don't believe the Feds will allow Dish and Direct to combine. for the same reason the telephone companies were broken up several years ago. Monopoly is more than just a game I guess.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #11

Two days ago ATT denied this rumor. They say Direct is not for sale.��
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Usually where there is a Rumor there is something behind it--Depending on the source !
I've read the numbers that Dtv has lost in the past year alone and I'm not surprised at all. We are basically done with dtv - Customer service sucks and so does Programming for that matter.
ATT isn't going to let dtv to bleed profits for too long- just makes sense from a Bus point of view. They're losing or lost the RV business ,
Lets be Patient and see what happens !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post

I was a Directv customer for many years, actually just shut my account down last night. (unrelated to this news, we had been talking about dropping for a year or so as our viewing habits have changed). While the agent was nice, there was no attempt to retain my business, unlike in years past where if you tried to leave you immediately got transferred to retention.
That's interesting, I am planning on canceling my DirecTV account tomorrow. I had been receiving a $40/mo discount for the past two years after I threatened to quit. Recently, I read that AT&T had pretty much stopped offering such "bribes" because they've been losing so many customers. I might have considered staying a customer if they were willing to give me another discount, but without it I surely will cancel.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Well, I have been with them for years myself. And yes, they are getting more expensive as time goes on. But, with that said, I will miss the free watch anywhere DTV App. I use this app to watch while traveling. I mirror my signal to my TV, and watch most, not all, of the same channels I have at home. This feature works great for me. When the wife wants to go shopping, doctor visit, or just a trip to our favorite camping spot. I like the fact that I don't use any data on my phone. I do not have unlimited data plan, so I can't watch Netflix, Prime, or Hulu. So this is my go to feature. In the long run, all my phones, internet, and tv are under one plan. I like this idea, plus it does save me money because of all the discounts I get. Since I live in a very small town, 2500 people, we only have 2 options for internet. When I was with Sudden Link I paid damn near 40.00 a month for 3Mb speed, Then they said they could give me 18Mb speed, but it would be at capped plan. AT&T gave me 18Mb speed with a unlimited plan, with no data cap, for 30.00 a month. So, which would you choose? Those that live in big cities have lots of option for TV, Internet, and Wireless, out here in the sticks, we are kind of limited. So, yes I will miss them. Now, Sudden Link sends me ads stating they can give me internet and TV for life at 54.99? I have not checked on this yet, but seems to me there is a catch 22 somewhere. Sure do hate to give up my Direct TV APP, but they are pricing me out of the market. The one thing I did not mention, when I was with Sudden Link Internet, it stayed down about a much as it did up. At least with AT&T, I have only went down 2 times in the last 2 years. This, is also a deciding factor that must come into play. If someone does buy them out, I'm sure we will lose some of the discounts we get now with Internet and Direct TV. Oh well, it is what it is, and we the consumer must find new cheaper and interesting ways to satisfy our thirst for entertainment.

hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, sell