Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Auto Gen Start (RC7GS)

I want my generator to start when I lose AC power. I have an '03 Beaver Monterey Newport that I just purchased. We have pets that we will travel with this summer. If the park that we are staying at looses power or my Electrical Management System shuts off the power for some reason, I want the generator to start and have the Air Conditioners start back up.
The only way I can have this happen with the RC7GS is say run only two coach batteries and have the inverter on and have some strong fans running off the inverter circuits. When the RC7GS detects low voltage it will start the gen set.
Is there a better way to have the Gen set start with a shore power loss.
Another thought is to have the generator moved out of the coach far enough so someone can go over to the coach and start it manually. This won't work if the Management System shut my coach down and others still have power.

Thanks Terry

Terry L T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

My first thought would be to leave some fans on. If shore power is lost, and your AGS is set to either a TEMP or Voltage setting, when it starts it should restart your a/c units as well. Your fans would be 'always on' no matter what.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Not sure if this will be of any help but from my days in the Telecom Power industry we used a product call an ATS "automatic transfer switch". Distribution (Breakers/Fuses) are fed through the ATS - the ATS gets its feed from regular Mains or Generator. While Mains power is available generator is in stand-by - if the ATS detects a loss of mains power it turns on the generator and once the gen is up to speed supplies generator power to the distribution panel (Breakers/Fuses) which in turn should power everything that was turned on prior to the mains outage including your AC units.
Retreever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Commercial Member

According to the manual, your "Auto Gen Start" function is only based on battery voltage and the programmed start/stop times.

You need something like a Cumins Energy Command Auto Gen Start. It will start the generator based on lose of shore power, Air Conditioner call for cooling, and the time window. It also will match with most all Onan Generators.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 06-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mr. T that is my thought also but I don't know how long it would take to run down the batteries.
shiggs68,thank you, that is exactly what I need. the "EC-30" is hardwired in, taking about 6 hours labor, unit price about $220. The EC-30W is a wireless system designed to be installed by the end user in about 20 minutes and is easily taken out and put in another coach, or sold thus getting most of your money back. Unit price $640 with harness.

Thanks Terry
Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

right Mr Terry L T, but if you set the VOLT setting to a higher number, such as 12.9, it would not take long for the Gen to automatically start, especially since your fans, water heater, fridge, and other odds and ends are always pulling amps. Remember, regardless of the VOLT setting, your FANS will provide full time air movement, which is just as critical as the temperature.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did order the EC-30W and the harness, I went to the Cummins dealer in Elkhart In and only paid $499 for the unit and only $60 for the harness. They were quite familiar with the unit and sell them quite regularly.
MisterT, I just reread your last post and after reviewing the operator's Manual, I think you are correct. SO I will have two items that might start the gen set. The dealer has had the coach more than I have had, so I won't have a chance to test out your recommendation until just before we leave for 90 days. I might wait to install the EC-30W until I do have the chance to try your method. It will only take 20 minutes to install it, if I feel the need.

Thanks for all the help
Terry