RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
To get the My Network Places to show up on your Start Menu do this:
1. Left Click On Start
2. In a vacant area of the Start Menu right click once.
3. A Properties prompt should appear.
4. Left click on the Properties prompt.
5. A dialog box will appear.
6. Click on the Start Menu tab.
7. Make sure the Start Menu radio button is chosen. Do not choose "Classic Start Menu".
8. Click on Customize (for the Start Menu)
9. Another dialog box appears.
10. Choose the Advanced tab.
11. Scroll down the Start Menu Items list until you see My Network Places.
12. Make sure the box for My Network Places is checked.
13. Exit all the dialog boxes by clicking on OK.

You can have only about 10 items on your Start Menu. These instructions assume there is room to add My Network Places.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #16

It sounds like you have a second utility installed that is controlling your wireless network. Many hardware manufacturers want to control access to their wireless card and by-pass the Windows utility.
I consider this a mistake and you should find and kill this utility.
The Windows icon looks like a computer monitor with 3 hash marks out the right side.
By the way, no, you cannot go any farther back in System Restore. I apologize, I assumed that this was something that happened fairly recently.
If you have another icon that you hover over and it mentions a wireless connection then this is what you want to stop. Try Right clicking on this icon and see if there is an option to the effect of Use Windows Wireless. If not, see if you can open the utility and find the option to turn it off.
I would not worry much about the Network Places not showing up but you can follow the instructions above.
All you really need to do is go to Control Panel and double click on Network Connections. If you don't see that specific link look in the upper left corner and click on Change to Classic View. When you open Network Connections you will see all of the available network connections.

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks GaryKD I got the My Network Places up on the start menu now. Still my only problem is when I go to see available networks the WZC configuration comment come up. I need a DRINK!!! An Early HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!! Where's the Tylenol?
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I GOT IT!!!!!! I want to thank everyone for all the help. I've found stuff on this computer I never new it had. (instructions - can you beat that??) I played around with the Broadcom icon and it's menu, pushed a few keys and we're good to go.
Now I need to mention that I'm a full fledged tech here now so if anyone needs me to figure something out just give me a chime.
Again THANKS!!!!!!
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To get the My Network Places to show up on your Start Menu do this:
1. Left Click On Start
2. In a vacant area of the Start Menu right click once.
3. A Properties prompt should appear. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,
Great information for everyone. There is quite a bit of customization that can be done through this routine. Just one note to your instructions, you can shortcut thing a bit if step on is Right click on Start. The Properties link is right there.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That monitor icon is still there along with the Broadcom icom which I don't remember ever being there. The icon with the monitor has an "X" along side of it. If I mouse over to either of them with the arrow one says wireless connection unavailable and by the monitor it says Wireless Network Connection 4 Not connected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve and Sally,
I was hoping it was that simple when you me mentioned the above. I am glad you were able to find the right buttons to either get it working or get it turned off (my personal choice).
Happy New Year!