Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Bad cable reception

I have a Winnebago era. I am connected to resort cable. The antenna signal is fine and gives me a good picture but 4 channels. The cable signal produces a snowy picture with occasional blips or sounds. Not watchable. Resort checked their box and it is good. I am using a new coax cable I bought today.
Any solutions? TIA.
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Community Administrator

If you have an antenna booster , it needs to be turned off when using cable.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #3

Have you set the tv to cable and scanned for channels?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #4

Yes and I am doing it again now. The cable worked fine 2 days ago. Nothing changed that I am aware of. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike View Post
I have a Winnebago era. I am connected to resort cable. The antenna signal is fine and gives me a good picture but 4 channels. The cable signal produces a snowy picture with occasional blips or sounds. Not watchable. Resort checked their box and it is good. I am using a new coax cable I bought today.
Any solutions? TIA.
How did they check it? Just seeing if it had power or actually hooking it to a TV. I would bypass the interior wiring and hook the cable directly to one of your TVs to see if it's in your RV wiring or their cable.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:00 PM   #6

Was there any heavy rain in the area. Cable out on the road gets wet inside it degrades the signal.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #7

Nope, not that affected my timing. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Start with the basic's and remove both ends of the new cable totally and then reinstall them. Our cable outlet is in the wet bay compartment and sometimes gets a little corrosion build-up inside the hole for the copper wire part of the cable coax. Good luck. You can buy a tester at HD for under $20.
Coax Explorer 2

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:25 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought my 2005 Tuscany I found that the OEM had used cheap screw on coax cable connections several of which failed. After replacing them with new RG-59 compression connectors at all available locations including the electric bay my system started working fine. I also replaced the OEM antenna/cable switch with a Winegard Sensar Pro. It automatically disconnects the amplifier needed for OTA when selecting the cable input. Both were cheap and made the OTA and cable connections useful.
I would rate both actions as mid level diy challenges. Plenty of YouTube help can be found to make it doable.
NumberThree1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Since you bought a new cable, that would be my first suspect in the investigation.

I have bought new cables that were defective; especially, if I tried to save a few bucks and get a substandard cable.

I have purchased cheap cables and I also got snowy pictures on the TV. Changed to a better cable and everything was fine.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #12

Thanks much!

Tags
cable