Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Battery Monitor

I ran across this while browsing one of the marine sites I subscribe to. Looks like it could work well for the rv too:

Victron Battery Monitors
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

The Victron BMV 700 series monitors are good as well as the Trimetric TM-2030, or the Magnum Energy BMK if you have a Magnum inverter/charger with the ME-ARC remote, or the Blue Sky IPN ProRemote with a shunt and appropriate Blue Sky Energy solar controller.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
When I invested in $1100 in AGM batteries, I decided to get a Victron Bat Monitor. I've had it for 3 yrs now and really like it. Very accurate and small enough so you can mount it conveniently since it doesn't need much space.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

Yes. I have a Victron i purchased from Maine Sail. I followed his directions and I am happy with the device. You do need to allow space for the 500 amp shunt which must be connected with all the negatives of the battery.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Here's a cheap alternative battery monitor meter that I bought on eBay:
DC 120V 100A Battery Monitor Prevent Over Charge Discharge Amp AH Volt Meter | eBay

I just received it and have not yet installed it.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_M View Post
Here's a cheap alternative battery monitor meter that I bought on eBay:
DC 120V 100A Battery Monitor Prevent Over Charge Discharge Amp AH Volt Meter | eBay

I just received it and have not yet installed it.
I would think it needs a shunt to work. Am assuming that would be separate. I am all for a battery monitor. Just know what you are buying and the quality.
I have Magnum BMK that integrates with my Magnum charger/converter/inverter and Magnum AGS.
I think I paid ~$150 for the BMK with shunt and all the connectivity wires.
My previous RV had a Trimetric 2030.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Click on the eBay link to view the item and you will see that it includes a shunt to be wired in according to the wiring diagram that is also shown in the listing.

Don't know how well this unit it built or how long it will last BUT it certainly is a good price even if it last only a few years.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Any accurate battery monitor will require a shunt, so the trick is how that shunt is monitored. If your inverter has an option for this as an add on, then that is likely the best option. I have a Magnum inverter which had a ME-BMK battery monitoring unit that was fairly easy to install and didn't require a separate monitor/remote display.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
Community Moderator

This is a very interesting monitor that doesn't require a shunt....it "learns" your battery bank by monitoring trends. The very detailed review is an interesting read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1472654749.824256.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	137643
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #10

It looks like it's all there, but it can only carry 100 amps

That's probable fine if you don't have an inverter, but even a 1000 watt inverter is fused over that.

It lists optional higher rated shunts. If you draw more then 100 amps, that may be an option.

I may look into one with the higher rated shunt.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #11

I've read up on the Belmar unit after seeing a report about it from " compass marine ".

The guy has lots of good thing to say about it and it's an easy install.

Without a shunt, the only thing it doesn't show is real time, actual amp draw.

Is that important ? It may be, to some.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #12

I just install this http://goo.gl/3HKzhe to monitor each memory bank.
Really easy to setup, works surprisingly well, and quite inexpensive.
Good reviews as well.
voyaginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:51 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I've read up on the Belmar unit after seeing a report about it from " compass marine ".

The guy has lots of good thing to say about it and it's an easy install.

Without a shunt, the only thing it doesn't show is real time, actual amp draw.

Is that important ? It may be, to some.
It does come with a 100 amp shunt, which may work for you. If you have 500 or 1000 watt inverter.

They do offer a 300 and 500 amp shunt. I have a 500 amp shunt since I have a 2000 watt inverter and 500 amp-hour bank of batteries.

Without a shunt, it is just a voltmeter and it won't measure the % state of charge. That's important because you don't want to go below 50% state of charge, as it is much harder on the battery life. With deep discharge/charge cycle, you may only get 100-200 cycles. If you only discharge to 50% or less, you may get 1000-2000 cycles.

These are the issues you need to consider when sizing the battery bank, the inverter size, and the amount of stuff you want to keep powered up and how long.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
It does come with a 100 amp shunt, which may work for you. If you have 500 or 1000 watt inverter.

They do offer a 300 and 500 amp shunt. I have a 500 amp shunt since I have a 2000 watt inverter and 500 amp-hour bank of batteries.

Without a shunt, it is just a voltmeter and it won't measure the % state of charge. That's important because you don't want to go below 50% state of charge, as it is much harder on the battery life. With deep discharge/charge cycle, you may only get 100-200 cycles. If you only discharge to 50% or less, you may get 1000-2000 cycles.

These are the issues you need to consider when sizing the battery bank, the inverter size, and the amount of stuff you want to keep powered up and how long.

Good luck,

Bill

Not true with the Belmar unit.....it show % of charge by sophisticated computer modeling and it "learns" by watching the batteries as they charge and discharge over several cycles. Read the lengthy review of an actual usage.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery