Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Be Careful at Verizon "Premium Retailer" Stores!

Watch out for Verizon "Premium Retailer" stores, as compared to the Verizon corp stores. On the inside they look just like the corporate stores, on the outside they have small premium retailer print on the sign . I have been with Verizon for about 14 yrs and quite happy with their overall customer service. I just had a very bad experience at a "premium" store, they are independently owned and operated. They can set their own rules, ethics, prices, and extra charges.

Went in to get a quote on out-the-door price on an iphone 6 for our daughter. But after looking up our account, the sales kid was more interested in having us use use the Early Edge Upgrade on my wife's Note 2. Only $6.24/month for 2 yrs, ok that's $149,not too bad. We were planning to do the upgrade next month when her 2 yrs is up. So when all the paper work is done, they tell us the insurance you need is $11/mo and the deductible is $200 ....What??? So now it's $17.24/mo ($413 total) that sucks.

Then the next day I get the email saying here's the return label to return our old Note 2, what??? ....sales kid didn't tell us that! We wanted to keep it and use as a tablet or as a backup phone. I understood that if we wanted to upgrade after 1.5 yrs we would have to turn in the Note 4. So that was the deal killer!

We went back 2nd time to get store manager to waive the return of the Note 2 or cancel the deal and waive the restocking fee. Then we find out restocking fee is $75, not $50 like sales kid told us. The Verizon corp stores charge only $35. We gave up after 1.5 hrs waiting for the manager to get there and have the plan canceled. Turns out this manager has 13 stores around Metro LA and we didn't want to drive 130 miles r/t to see him face-to-face.

Later on the phone with Verizon Customer Service, we did get a $35 credit for our bad experience. I've always dealt with Verizon corporate stores and always received all the critical info upfront, and no surprises later. And I learned the insurance is optional. At $11/mo for 3 smart phones for 6 yrs, that amounts to over $2000 for insurance, not counting deductible costs. Never had insurance and I can replace a lot of phones for that price.

Live and learn!
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

Let me guess. Was it a Verizon 4G store. We had a similar experience with the Granada Hills 4G store, promise unfulfilled, rebates offered but actually not available. From now on we only shop at company stores.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Have you considered COSTCO?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I never go into a Verizon Premium Retailer store. Not even for a cable. I ALWAYS make sure it is a corporate store. I got hosed about 5 years ago at a retailer store which caused my to keep a line for a year that I didn't need.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I did not know this about the 'premium retailers' and have not been to one that I know of. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #6

I learned the hard way to only go to an official Verizon store. I like Verizon a lot but the retail store closest to us was a problem.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just switched back to Verizon and got a Samsung 5S. I did it all over the Internet and picked it up at a Verizon store the next day. Did take a day or two to get the number changed over but that was due to my old carrier being on vacation for a few days over Christmas. Now of course comes the higher phone bill (from 12.50 a month to 75.00 a month plus taxes) but more calls/minutes/messages and data plus no roaming charges.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:00 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with the others, that only go to a corporate store and never go to an Authorized Retailer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I got hosed at one too. Learned my lesson. I now only use true Verizon Stores.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got hosed too

I got hosed at the Morgantown, Pa store. I told them what I wanted but neglected to read the fine print. Shame on me.

Frank
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon