Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

Bedroom TV Coax Question

My problem (spelled out in a past post), my bedroom TV is in a slide. My plan is to add Directv to my motor home. It may be a huge pain to run a separate coax, for the Sat TV. So, after a lot of thought (dangerous for me), I came up with a possible solution & want to run it past people, who know more about this, then me. Here's the idea:

Remove the coax, going to the bedroom, from the back of the antenna/ cable TV input, & connect it on the output of an A/B switch.

Add a coax, to where the bedroom coax was removed, & connect it to the input of the A/B switch.

Connect Sat TV to the other input of the A/B switch.

At the bedroom end of the coax:

Remove the coax, from the TV

Connect the coax, to the input of a splitter.

Connect the 2 coax to the outputs. one to the TV, & the other to the Directv box. Hook DTV box to TV with an HDMI cable.

When I want to watch OTA or campground cable, I switch the A/B switch, to that input & switch the TV source to antenna. When I want to watch Sat TV, I switch to that input & source HDMI.

In theory, this looks like it would work, flow wise. Will it work in practice? Or is it too many connections/ signal loss?

Jeff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There was some past threads on a similar topic and the solution was a Wireless HDMI transmitter sort of like the ones offered with home satellite dishes. Use the search box and search wireless hdmi and you should find a solution. You don't need the any satellite service it is simply a way to wirelessly transmit an HDMI signal from point to point without installing coax. I have no experience with wireless HDMI but as a reader of a lot of the posts I found it an interesting solution.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Every connection and splitter can weaken a signal. Why not buy a wireless HDMI network? No cable fishing or having to swap out cables on the TVs. Ebay, Amazon, even Walmart offers them for sale.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

So you go from coax (from the Sat dish), to HDMI, transmit it to HDMI, to coax, into the DTV box?

Jeff
Old 01-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Hey Cart, Do you have a switch box for all your antenna options? Our's has one. I hook my Direct TV box to Sat and choose the sat option, both tv's work on it. The only draw back is you have to watch the same channel on both tv's
Old 01-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #6

I do have a "box of many buttons" & plan to use it with the outdoor TV but I want to be able to watch different channels in the bedroom.

Jeff
Old 01-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #7

Doesn't DTV have a wireless Genie? Should eliminate the need to add another coax cable.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

Falconman, I already have a Genie, in my house, & DTV only allows 1 Genie, per account. There is still people, at home, when we travel, so taking it is not an option. I already thought of it & was VERY disappointed, when I found out I wasn't able to get a 2nd one, for the motor home.

Jeff
Old 01-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #9

If your going with Direct, then get the latest Genie system and add a wireless jini Genie for the bedroom. no need to coax except from the dish to the Genie. properly setup system will give you the ability to record up to 5 programs at once and watch them from both TVs.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeff,

The answer to your question is yes, you can do it that way. But I think there is an easier way using a Diplexer. This little combiner/ splitter will take the two signals and combine them over a single coax and at the other end(bedroom) split the signal into two separate signals. One for the Direct TV and the other for the OTA TV. The only hitch is that I think Directv has a powered signal that runs from the box to the antenna and sends a pointing signal over the coax to the dish. It is worth a try though. They are relatively cheap. You will need two, one to combine and the other to split.

Here is a link:

GE 2-Way 2 Ghz. Coax Diplexer-73349 - The Home Depot

You can pick them up at Home Depot. You may have to order them. Anyway this keeps you from having to remember which swich is in which position.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
Jeff,

The answer to your question is yes, you can do it that way. But I think there is an easier way using a Diplexer. This little combiner/ splitter will take the two signals and combine them over a single coax and at the other end(bedroom) split the signal into two separate signals. One for the Direct TV and the other for the OTA TV. The only hitch is that I think Directv has a powered signal that runs from the box to the antenna and sends a pointing signal over the coax to the dish. It is worth a try though. They are relatively cheap.

Here is a link:

GE 2-Way 2 Ghz. Coax Diplexer-73349 - The Home Depot

You can pick them up at Home Depot. You may have to order them. Anyway this keeps you from having to remember which swich is in which position.
As I said in my first response to this post, any connection or splitter reduces the signal. A 'coax diplexer' is another word for a splitter. While a satellite system probably amplifies the signal enough it will sustain through a splitter (diplexer) a signal from the antenna perhaps won't. In addition, many places sell them for a fraction of the cost of Home Depot's $10.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #12

Bill,

Thanks. I thought about a diplexer (splitter), too. The A/B switch, I was looking at, is the same thing, only with a slider switch. & it costs the $5. My thinking (once again, a dangerous thing), was to be able to physically separate the signals. It's worth a try. It will cost me about $10 - 15 and a little time, to try it out. If it does work, it will save me from having to run a coax to the rear slide.

Jeff
Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
As I said in my first response to this post, any connection or splitter reduces the signal. A 'coax diplexer' is another word for a splitter. While a satellite system probably amplifies the signal enough it will sustain through a splitter (diplexer) a signal from the antenna perhaps won't. In addition, many places sell them for a fraction of the cost of Home Depot's $10.
A diplexer is not a splitter. It has characteristics that combine different frequencies and then allow them to be transmitted over one coax and be split back to their respective frequencies. An ordinary splitter will not work for what the OP wants to do. These diplexers are specifically designed to combine these specific frequencies for Sat and OTA. By the way, an AB switch can degrade the signal just as well as a Diplexer.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Here is a website that might help you understand the difference.

Diplexer? Splitter? Combiner? What are these things? - The Solid Signal Blog