Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

Best carryout satellite antenna

Most info I can find is older, mostly 2009,
I want to go satellite dish. Would do the Traveler, but most places I have stayed are heavily treed. So I'm thinking the portables are the way to go. Just looking for the best at this point. I'd even consider having both a roof mount and a second carry out so I didn't have to set up every time if I didn't have to.

Thanks
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #2

I think if you do a search on this forum you will find your answer. This question has been asked and answered (as well as it can be answered) many times. As you will note in your search the answer depends on a number of variables not mentioned in your question.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
I think if you do a search on this forum you will find your answer. This question has been asked and answered (as well as it can be answered) many times. As you will note in your search the answer depends on a number of variables not mentioned in your question.
Oh gee, ... really???
So many words, so little help.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple answer if you have service from Dish... the Tailgater is very affordable and the new Tailgater II adds a second receiver port.

If you have DirecTV or camp in the extreme NorthEast US or Canada, consider the other brands, because the Tailgater is Dish only and western arc SATs only (110, 119, 129).

We have a rooftop antenna but acquired the Tailgater due to tree coverage (shade) which we prefer when camping...have had it on a cable as much as 150' away from the RV...pretty amazing.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Simple answer if you have service from Dish... the Tailgater is very affordable and the new Tailgater II adds a second receiver port.

If you have Direct or camp in the extreme NorthEast US or Canada, consider the other brands, because the Tailgater is Dish only and western arc SATs only (110, 119, 129).

We have a rooftop antenna but acquired the Tailgater due to tree coverage (shade) which we prefer when camping...have had it on a cable as much as 150' away from the RV...pretty amazing.

Best luck
Thanks. Most likely will use Dish.
Do you think the performance of the Tailgater is as good as the roof top?
Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #6

Our King Tailgater works great, can be placed anywhere you need it, or can even be mounted on your roof(ours is, with a temporary mount that allows me easily turn it, move it somewhere else on the roof, or bring it down to a place on the ground if needed).
We've been to all U.S. states and eastern Canada(including NS and PEI) and never had a problem getting the same satellites(though 129 is pretty low and near the horizon).
We also started with a manual tripod dish that I still have, but use MUCH less often now that the Tailgater is on board.

I've even thought of investing in another Tailgater for that third outside TV for the summer months... we'll see.

: )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
Thanks. Most likely will use Dish.
Do you think the performance of the Tailgater is as good as the roof top?
No...the larger pan (reflector) on the large open face dish (like the Trav'ler) posts almost 30% higher signal strength over any dome antenna. This higher signal strength allows the receiver to stay locked better in a heavy rain. All dome antennae on Dish will sometimes, but rarely will drop High Def channels in a very heavy storm.

But, the rooftop is USELESS if there is a tree or power pole in the southern horizon view of the antenna.
Some will say their Trav'ler can see through trees(?). I have not had that luck.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

I'm in a similar predicament...going back & forth between the Pathway x1 and x2. Is there anyone out there on the east coast...NYS/upstate NY with the x1? Wondering how it performs as I've read some folk saying the western arc is not so accessible...any truth? I like the x2 features better, but the size worries me. I have a relatively small class c...storage issue. Thanks in advance for any comments...
Catev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TACKING,You might want to read:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/getti...ng-203970.html

That thread should help you a lot.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #10

For Dish network it would be the Pathway X2 by Wingard. It is fully automatic, powered by just the coax cable, and has a larger dish than most.
It is larger than most and needs to be connected to a VIP 211 series receiver.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
TACKING,You might want to read:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/getti...ng-203970.html

That thread should help you a lot.

Since the OP's profile lists a 2003 Damon Intruder (probably not HDTV and pre-DTV), the ViP-211K would most probably be preferred over the HDMI out-only ViP-211z because of the 221k's COAX output and built-in OTA tuner.

So, it is important to know that the 211k is reportedly no longer in current production. However, the up-side is that Dish and several SAT businesses make them plentiful in the re-manufactured market...In fact, last month (Jan2016) I bought my second 211k (a re-man) direct from Dish through Amazon Prime...worked like a charm and is only $7 added to the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
For Dish network it would be the Pathway X2 by Wingard. It is fully automatic, powered by just the coax cable, and has a larger dish than most.

For the OP's case (profile says they are based in CT)...the Pathway may be better than the Tailgater, because the X2 has the ability to change to eastern arc SATs (I think).

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Great post(s)

Since the OP's profile lists a 2003 Damon Intruder (probably not HDTV and pre-DTV),
Haa... those old TVs are long gone, replaced by two 42" flat screens.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
This is what I use all the time.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
Haa... those old TVs are long gone, replaced by two 42" flat screens.
OK...so, if the new TV's are fed by HDMI and/or component cables, the 211z is a cooler running and more available receiver than the 211k.

The 211z needs an external OTA tuner "dongle" to receive broadcast TV, but that is easy to add, just like the external hard drive to add DVR functions. The 211's are very versatile receivers.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
antenna, satellite