Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #1

best gps

Hello everyone,newbie on Irv2 .I was wondering which would be the best choice to replace my car garmin gps?i would prefer a truckers unit.I purchased copilot for my tablet but i'm not crazy about it.anyone have one that works for motorhome height and length,thanks in advance.great forum
monacojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've had good luck with the Rand Mcnally 7730
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

I've been using a Magellan Roadmate 9365T-LMB for the past 2 years and am very pleased with it. It has a big (7") screen and you set your profile for length/height, etc. It avoids U-turns, known low clearances, very tight turns, etc., that a car GPS would include. Got it on Amazon for about $300 - expensive but included lifetime map updates and traffic.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Look at Garmin DEZL CAM LMTHD, DEZL 770 LMTHD or the RV 660 LMT. All are great units!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I wish I had the luck with our GPS as other have. I have a Garmin motor home model . Forget the model # . It is less than a year old and have updated two times , didn't help. I have put the size of motor home and etc. in the GPS . It puts us on roads that I would not any size MH on. Last week it tried to rout us though a housing development . Was in middle Georgia last week and it was lost all day. It wanted to put us on a clay dirt road 5 times . Will not locate state park if it is in another state. Maybe I need to call Garmin ? Any other suggestions ? Thanks
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

I have a Rand McNally 7730 with a 7 inch screen, which is the same as the Good Sam RM 7735 (just doesn't have the GS Logo). The length, height, and weight for the RV or RV plus tow or towed vehicle can be set. The GPS will then route you away from low tunnels and bridges. It can be set to avoid small roads and dirt roads. There are lots of other settings for warnings about going over the speed limit, approaching sharp curves, construction zones, etc. I travel by myself; the cat is no good about reading maps and handling a smart phone or tablet, so I appreciate the step by step directions and visual showing which lane to get in for exits and interchanges. Also the motor home speedometer is hard to see it some lighting so I find myself using the GPS speed indicator – much easier to see. I am very happy with this GPS and now that I am used to it, I find it easier to use than the Garmin in my car. However there is a learning curve, it takes a while.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
best gps

I've owned a number of GPSs including a few in my cars, none of which had really impressed me much, so I was a little weary when I bought a Garmin dezl a few years ago at a truck stop in Wichita Falls, Texas for $399. As implied, it was meant for truckers. I set it up for my height, width, and length. It's also "tweakable" meaning there are many ways to personalize it, such as what screen information is visible, etc. It includes the percent of uphill or downhill grades which for me is extremely helpful regarding when to downshift or when to apply the Jake. There is an option for the map to highlight roads approved for trucks. It does a few odd things; it gives a warning for weigh stations, sharp curves, state borderlines and steep downhills. It also shows traffic conditions and indicates whether it's traffic congestion, construction or an accident. And it has Bluetooth so I use it for hands free iPhone calls.

It's never steered me wrong (pun intended) and it's saved my bacon more than once when I'd gotten lost in some strange town.

To each his own but it's been a great unit for me and never a moment of "buyer's regret".
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #8

Thanks for replying , I have looked at the dezel cam at a pilot truck stop - it was pricey but had a lot of features I liked!
monacojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #9

You know what would be terrific? A GPS where you can plug in all your vital statistics like height, length, weight etc. But also and this is a biggie...

• Just on time Traffic
• Just on time Weather
• Ability to change from Interstate to Non-Interstate travel
• Ability to hook into computer to overview all of the above, make changes and include changes to the GPS

Now that's something I'd pay for!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

Garmin RV 760LMT is much easier to use than the Rand McNallyRV gps that i had. Rand did not always give good directions. Garmin telly you which lane to be in directions are much better
Old 07-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

Another recommendation for the Garmin 760 RV GPS.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #12
Lit

National RV Owners Club
I also recommend the Garmin 760 RV GPS
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a RM 7710 and it has been nothing but disappointment for me. I stopped using it. I have an I-Pad with CoPilot and Traffic as my apps, and it does the job for me.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I keep preaching this! Read the manual and get on line for tubes to learn about the unit no matter witch brand. You are programming a computer and it will follow your instructions. But YOU must know what how where you are telling it to do. I find the RV760 or its smaller screen RV660 a good unit.

LEN

Tags
gps