Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #1

Best internet system for full-time work?

Hi - Newbie here. We've just purchased a new fifth wheel and are gearing up to start our life as full-timers in January. I work in the Web design industry and can work remotely from anywhere - as long as there is good internet service. Because it is my bread-and-butter, cost is not a factor as much as reliability and speed is.

Because I work online all day, I will be downloading/sending numerous emails, joining Webex meetings, using Skype, and downloading/uploading files (some as high as 20 GB) frequently (i.e. - several uploads/downloads daily).

With these considerations, what would be the best system to consider?
Thanks in advance!
Linda
LindaCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your 2 best choices are probably satellite or high-data-plan cellphone modem. There's pros and cons to each.

Satellite will give you the most reliable (consistent) access as long as you have line of sight (can be a problem if you camp alot in forests and such). A movable dish will give you the most flexibility. Some people do report latency issues in satellite, so that's a potential negative. I don't know enough about the latency problems to comment further than that (maybe others will chime in).

Cellphone modems are fast and easy (and no latency issues). Millenicom has a high-data plan (20G/mo) that uses the Verizon network. They also offer an unlimited plan, but not sure which network that one uses. If you use the plan on the Verizon network with an external antenna and amplifier you can get very good coverage. But....depending on where you go may still get a dead spot. We use a Verizon set-up like this and get connected 95% of the time (you can read about our set-up HERE). BUT...we do like to camp "out there" and there are spots we have no connectivity at all (this past week in the Gila Forest, NM for example). Check the Verizon coverage map.

If you absolutely MUST have access, a movable satellite dish is probably your best option, as long as the latency issues are workable.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Every satellite system I know of, except high priced commercial systems, have a thing called a bit-bucket... normally limited to 500 megs per day. Once you reach that limit your connection will slow down to less than dialup speed.

A combination of an unlimited 3G/4G cell phone service and a external WiFi antenna will provide you the best all around service.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If you're serious about needing to transfer multi-gigabyte files every day, full-timing is not something you should be considering doing. Unless you've got the budget to spend several thousand dollars a month, that is. Wireless phone company plans (such as Verizon) will get you about 20GB/month, but depending on location you're likely to be spending several hours to get a single 1GB file moved. Or have no connectivity at all.

Satellite services are also all over the map. You will likely be able to get a connection anywhere, if you're flexible on picking your parking spots. But FAP limits will kill you on the cheaper plans, and latency issues will make Skype difficult and Webex almost impossible. More expensive satellite solutions will give you higher bandwidth and better latency, making Skype and Webex possible. But those plans will be $300-$700 per month, and you still won't have the total bandwidth for multi-gigabyte files on a regular basis.

Take a look at the Hughes Enterprise and EtherSat price sheets here for examples:

Internet Bandwidth

Hughes will be marginal for Skype and generally unusable for Webex. EtherSat will be usable for both, but the prices are considerably higher. And very high if you need a lot of high bandwidth time for large file transfers.

joe
Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #5

If you need to do that DON'T try to live the RV lifestyle

Rich
Old 05-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I disagree with a couple of the previous posts. if you plan on staying "on the grid" around major cities or well populated areas, a data plan from AT&T or Verizon would do you well. If not, look at satellite internet with a high data plan. We work "off the grid" and I have yet to go more than a day or two without internet...just because it's usually the last thing I set up.

Internet and RVing lifestyle can go hand in hand. I know many RVers who work full time doing the kind of thing you'll be doing. You'll be fine...just plan ahead.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #7

Great information from everyone - thanks so much! Now a confession - I didn't proof read that message before I sent it (a sin in the business I'm in!) - that should have read "several 20 MB files a day" not "20 GB" files a day - aghhh!!

That said, I'm glad to find that the cell plans can handle the speed I need - we thought we were looking at buying a satellite dish for sure - but if the latency issues prevent using Skype or WebEx, that won't work for me. Now, it's a question of coverage, which I guess can only be determined by looking at maps. One of our favorite spots on the planet is Death Valley (we've tent camped there for years and even honeymooned there) - and our plans include spending time both in more populous areas and more remote ones. It sounds like, as with the rest of life, there may be no "perfect" solution!
LindaCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not know what WebEx is but I have used Hughes for SKYPE. However if you are tossing around 20 gigs a day or more, then Hughes is not for you, Most cellular plans are not for you and most campgrounds do not want you on their Wi-Fi, AT&T services are not for you (They cap use now) Verizon, and most others.

I-Direct is a professional 2-way sattelite service.. I will tell you all I know about it,, Contact Bill Adams (Who I think may well read this post and do it for you as it were) as he knows more about it than I do,,(And that is ALL I know about it)

Bill is the man you need to talk to,, it's his business, to have the answer you need. For me it's only a hobby.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaCW
that should have read "several 20 MB files a day" not "20 GB" files a day - aghhh!!
Ah ok...that's a little better. A cellphone plan should work fine for you then. I use Skype alot on Verizon (my whole family lives abroad) and it works decently. Never had any major problems with it unless we're way out of coverage area (the external antenna and amp have helped tremendously).
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #10

The setup I have in my MH is a Virgin Mobile USB w/ roof mounted antenna plugged into a Cradlepoint Router.

When I have good signal I am able to use my VOIP service with minimal lag. Up/Down speeds are reasonable. When in more rural areas VOIP is useless and the service is good enough for email and for DW to play on pogo.com.

The roof mounted antenna is an absolute must for me. Without it we were unable to get any signal at many state parks we visit.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
One more thing...don't go with Hughesnet unless you have to! We have it because we're off the grid the majority of the time. It's slow, expensive and generally speaking...a pain in the patootey!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
A 4G Mifi should work fine. The Mifi will allow you to take your work with you where ever you go. The 4G system is faster but it's just getting off off the ground so only a select number of cities have it but will grow rapidly in the future. It has the standard 5gb limit. The old sierra data cards had an antenna port so antenna could be attach or an antenna and amplifier combination which proved helpful in fringe areas to bring in weak signals. Not sure if the new 4G Mifi has this feature.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
I work fulltime as a consultant to a large ISP. I am online around 8 hours/day with E-Mail, online meetings (Live Meeting) and general data "stuff". I will admit that most files are put up on a share point drive rather than emailed around, but when you go to read it it does get downloaded. And I am talking file sizes from a few KB to 10MB (the clients email system is restricted to 10MB file sizes).

We do not move around frequently, 3-4 times per year. When I do move, I call ahead to campground to see if they have site with telephone connections. I can then have the local phone company hookup a phone line. I use Verizon Wireless 3G with the 5GB plan, a Cradlepoint wireless router and an external antenna for the USB modem. I generally use 2.5 - 3 GB per month. My 3G data connection varies between 1.5 - 2.0 Mbps. I have MagicJack but it tends to get a bit choppy sharing a 3G connection with my laptop data. I have set my Laptop and the router to give priority to the voice packets, but the MagicJack needs at least 400K upload to work well (although they will tell you 200Kb is sufficient). I tend to stick to my landline phone for now.

My data plan expires in September so I plan on upgrading to Verizon's 4G modem again with an external antenna and upgrading the firmware in my router to suport 3G/4G speeds. The MagicJack should work much better then so my hope is that I won't be restrcited to campgrounds that have telephone connections anymore. Verizon has 4G in a lot of places we go and they are adding over 140 cities throughout 2011.

I have been functioning this way for 2 years without issue.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Every satellite system I know of, except high priced commercial systems, have a thing called a bit-bucket... normally limited to 500 megs per day. Once you reach that limit your connection will slow down to less than dialup speed...
I have a couple of minor clarifications on internet satellite

I think the limit for Hughesnet is 200 MB per day, not 500.

The good news is the usage limits apply only to downloads, not to uploads. Uploads are typically keystrokes and commands being sent to load pages, not larger files. Unfortunately, uploads of files on satellite internet are sloooooow.

If you can work at night (2AM to 7AM prevailing Eastern time), you are in free time because the limits do not apply. I usually don't stay up that late, but I hear Hughes sometimes performs maintenance during this time and you may experience slowdowns and outages.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote