Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

Best satellite receiver or options

We have a Winegard road trip SD on the coach and in preparation for the up coming trip to AK I was going to connect to DISH. I have it at home and adding a receiver I already have would be $7 more a month. But now I find that the Winegard is obsolete, made in 05 and basically a large awkward paperweight. Weingard will knock about 30% off on a new system the RT 4000s which is a stationary tracking permanent mount.

What other options are there out there that are similar in features or better. I really don't know what brands are compatible with DISH or what is best, or good enough. Our TV requirements are pretty low and DVR and multiple TVs isn't what we do but it would be nice to get some news, sports etc while on the road in the remote area of Canada and AK. If you are going to tell me about hoppers and joeys please feel free to explain what they are.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Wingard is pretty much the standard I think. Do you want another roof mounted system or are you looking for a portable dish you set up when you park? There are several portables that automatically align themselves.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

I'm looking at a roof mount. We don't stay anyplace for very long and hauling a portable out and back would get old. The Winegard Mission 4000 is what Weingard was talking about. I don't know about other brands and have only briefly researched King.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #4

I hope some more people chime in on this as we are looking into going to dish in the home and also for the MH. I do not have a clue as what to look for. I know I want a permanent mount and not one you have to bring out as we do stay a Wal Marts often.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
The Winegard Carryout or Pathway domes are both very good. They are portable but can be mounted on a roof. We have the Carryout G2+ so we can use it with either DirecTV or Dish (if we decide to change our plans) and it will provide signal for up to 2 receivers. Winegard has a kit for the roof mount that has everything you need except the Dicor sealant!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #6

We went through this about a year ago when our King Dome conked out on us. Talking to a neighbor that specialized in mobile satellite tech (doing satellite set ups for boats, RVs, police, etc). He recommended the KVH Rv1 for "in-motion". Granted it's only SD with Direct Tv by it works very well and is a quiet. My kids like being able to watch their shows or movies while I drive and my wife will occasionally put her feet up and watch her cooking shows while we're heading down the road.
For stationary use the Winegard Traveler uses the exact same dish that the companies install on your house. You're not going to get better than that.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

My 2015 Discovery came with the Wingard Roadtrip Mission In Motion dish. I have a Pathway X2 from my last 2 RVs and was not really interested in a permenantly mounted system, let alone an in motion unit. I actually more or less ignored it the first couple of trips out. But then I started playing with it and it's really great. It uses the same receiver from my Pathway X2 and the in motion tracks fantastically on the road. Thank goodness for the Disney Channel!. When stopped, it gets great service (you get HD with Dish, I think if you set it up for Direct TV you can only get SD). Now we just pull in and turn the unit on and have TV. Unless our campsite is obstructed for some reason, in which case I break out the X2 and set that up. And even if we do get reception from the Roof mounted unit, I still pull out the X2 and set up my second receiver so we can watch two different channels on different TVs.

You also asked about Hoppers and Joeys. I know nothing about them, but lots of folks here do and you should be able to find a ton of info in the technology forum, or post a specific question about Hoppers & Joeys

Good luck
Old 04-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I put a KVH R5 on my MH almost 6 yrs ago and it has done everything I expected it to do. Very good in motion tracking.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
What other options (besides a rooftop dome) are there out there that are similar in features or better.
Instead of a dome, I'd go with a "ground" dish like the Winegard Pathway X2 with a 211 HD receiver.

The X2 came be moved around -- very handy if you're parked under trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Our TV requirements are pretty low and DVR and multiple TVs isn't what we do but it would be nice to get some news, sports etc while on the road in the remote area of Canada and AK. If you are going to tell me about hoppers and joeys please feel free to explain what they are.
With your requirements, you don't need a Hopper/Joey which is a "whole house" DVR system.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The best and most expensive is the Winegard Trav'ler for Dish or Direct TV. We have one, just turn it on it locks on the satellites automatically. Only time we had a problem was in South Lake Tahoe, to many trees. Any of the others mentioned will work fine for you. I have read some people have had problems receiving in AK with Domes.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RF Mogul also makes dish units for both Dish and Direct. We have the older MotoSat HD for Direct. The controller burned out and I just replaced it with a new RF Mogul Controller. Now working perfectly. If the upper unit quits I can still get parts or just replace it with a new RF Mogul upper unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #12

Our new DSDP came with the Mission in motion type. I never could get it going. And when I did get it going I discovered that you could only watch one satellite at a time as the internal dish only has one LNB(element). As soon as it comes out of shop getting warranty repairs, it will going down the road to have the trav'ler installed so I can watch whatever I want on whatever TV I want just like at home. My only decision is do I want to keep my in-motion up top for very rare down the road use? Once I remove it it will become nearly worthless in the marketplace. Not sure how many switches and complicated this will be. Back to OP question. I would go with the open type dish that is for stationary use only (Winegard Trav'ler) and I recommend DIShnetwork. Bigger dish, better reflective power, and you will have 3 LNB's which will allow you to watch different channels on different satellites with no problem. JMOA. Steve
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:08 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GenII Tailgater (if in-motion and that extra price is not desired).

Can be hard mounted on the roof...or can be a fully automatic portable for when there are those evil signal sucking shade trees.

HD capable on Dish, power feed on the single wire, and can feed 2 receivers (if upgrade comes later).

And it's 1/3 the price of a RT-4000T or Trav'ler. A package with a ViP-211z is $450
https://www.dishformyrv.com/king-tai...ntenna-bundle/
We are not affiliated.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
GenII Tailgater (if in-motion and that extra price is not desired).

Can be hard mounted on the roof...or can be a fully automatic portable for when there are those evil signal sucking shade trees.

HD capable on Dish, power feed on the single wire, and can feed 2 receivers (if upgrade comes later).

And it's 1/3 the price of a RT-4000T or Trav'ler. A package with a ViP-211z is $450
https://www.dishformyrv.com/king-tai...ntenna-bundle/
We are not affiliated.

Best luck
That's looks like a good unit for the price. However, the OP want to watch programming on his trip to AK. It says the Tailgaters only works in the 48 contiguous United States.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite