Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
I just upgraded from a Motorola RAZR to a Samsung Galaxy s4 on Black Friday and it is FANTASTIC. The 5 inch screen I can see without glasses, easier to operate, lighter to carry and long battery life are just a few.

For traveling I prefer Verizon. I switch from AT&T becasue of the dead spots with AT&T, so far none with Verizon. With a Droid you can use your phone for a wifi hotspot for free with an app call Foxfi.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
anyone tethering their att&t galaxy smart phone
Here is Foxfi's list of what is currently working FoxFi Devices

This was the reason I chose Android over the iphone. Just my personal needs and the reason for switching to a smartphone, free wifi. Now I find it is so much more, why did I wait so long?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #31
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
Love how some here know they have never been effected. Just because it doesn't shut you down dosen't mean it's not being done. BBC News - Android 'accounts for 79% of phone malware'
I read a few of those articles the other day and that was the final deal breaker for the droid . I'm staying with the iPhone.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #32

How about tethering a at&t Samsung galaxy s3 on straight talk
Old 12-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothgrey View Post
Love how some here know they have never been effected. Just because it doesn't shut you down dosen't mean it's not being done.
For giggles, I did the math. Approximately 3% of all Android devices are infected with malware. There are 32.8 million infected out of roughly 1 billion devices activated. That explains why so many have not been effected. 32.8 million sounds like a lot until you understand how many phones are in use.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also use FoxFi.

There are two versions of it....the free one lets you use X amount of data and the paid one is a one time fee of $7.95 which allows unlimited data.

As far as Malware on Android....I use AVG on my Android phone and it detected one problem on a download from the Google Play store and blocked it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
For giggles, I did the math. Approximately 3% of all Android devices are infected with malware. There are 32.8 million infected out of roughly 1 billion devices activated. That explains why so many have not been effected. 32.8 million sounds like a lot until you understand how many phones are in use.

Ohhhhhh only 32.8 million phones are effected how foolish of me to think a million of anything is a lot. Let alone 32.8 million. 32.8 million that's hardly anyone.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I also use FoxFi.

There are two versions of it....the free one lets you use X amount of data and the paid one is a one time fee of $7.95 which allows unlimited data.

As far as Malware on Android....I use AVG on my Android phone and it detected one problem on a download from the Google Play store and blocked it.
I like free stuffs ... I used to use foxfi but quickly got annoyed for it disconnected every so often if I went to a page with a graphic. Then I found fast WiFi tether. It is fast and easy, and no data threshold. The only downsize is it changes password each time you launch it. I change it manually to match my laptop WiFi password and leave it alone. Have been using it for 2 years. Free.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Just be aware that your IOS device is not immune.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #38

In my opinion at this time the Android system is better for RVers than iPhones. You can tether or use them as a hot spot without paying extra if you have an unlimited data plan. If you have a family plan than my argument is not correct.

My wife has an iPhone 5 and I have a Motorola Droid Maxx. According to CNet reviews which is one of the largest online review companies the Droid Maxx is the best smart phone sold at the moment. But really, all the top smart phones these days are very good. Apple, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, LG, they all make very good phones. No stinkers there at all. I have an iPad and Mac Book Pro and the Android phone works fine with that system. I use the Gmail on line calendar and Apple interfaces with it.

I don't like Samsung phones because they are not beautiful like iPhones and not super rugged like my Droid Maxx. They are plastic and don't feel good in my hand. The Maxx has a gigantic battery and the back is kevlar. It is a very rugged well made phone. My wife's phone is jewell like, just as most Apple products are. The screen on my phone is 5". My wife's 4". If you are using your phone for directions 5" is way better. Androids voice to text works better than Apple's system. Quite a bit better. I have used both. I use voice to text for emails all day.

No poor choices in any of the top phones. Go to best buy and look at all of them in one place.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #39

just in case anyone is interested, straight talk said in a email that they don't allow tethering on their system.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
just in case anyone is interested, straight talk said in a email that they don't allow tethering on their system.
It's also in their fine print. Someone on here several months ago just went thru the "I was told when buying it that I could and now they cut me off of data cause they said that no I can't" They found out that it is in the very fine print.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Interesting. Verizon got sued about it and they have to allow it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Interesting. Verizon got sued about it and they have to allow it.
i remember that... the argument was - users were paying for the data the tethering was using, why charging double... i used to go through a complicated procedure to make tethering capable, and had to do it after each software updates, it's a pita, prior to the suit. after that foxfi and other apps came to light, making tethering effortless. the free wifi tethering is one of the major features i like the most. my office is where i go
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote