Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Best trip planner software?

Does anyone have recommendations for trip planner software? I've got a free trial to MS Streets and Trips and it is a difficult (for me) user interface. I love SW that has an intuitive user interface. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Michelle

micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Google is pretty decent but you do need to be online to use it. It's a little easier to use than S&T and links up with Google Earth to show actual picture of turns, etc. Pretty cool feature. Google Earth let you customize the route very easily, MS is pretty clumsy. S&T does let you attach to a GPS for real time progress. I actually don't have a favorite, each route planning program has it own advantages and disadvantages.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I use both Microsoft Mappoint (an analytical version of Streets and Trips) and Google Maps with Streetview.

Your tradeoff is power vs. ease of use. Mappoint will let you set start and end times, give you up to date construction info, calculate fuel usage, calculate rest stop times, etc. For that power, some may be intimindated by the interface. Google maps makes it a little easier but requires that you have a constant internet connection.
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been playing around with AAA triptiks. It is really easy to use and gives great info on the campgrounds (# of sites, size limits, reservations accepted etc) but doesn't seem to have alot of campgrounds. Do the others have this feature? Streets and trips had more campgrounds but not much info on them so I have to research them for the basic info.

I always use Google maps for my local trips. Is there a way to get it to display the campgrounds?

Thanks again!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've used DELORME Street Atlas and Map and Go for years and they work well for me...also have Microsoft but like the DELORME better.

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ahhhh......What's "trip planning?" Steve & Lynette
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #7

I will give you a completely useless answer, but in my opinion the best trip planning software is Rand McNally's TripMaker. Unfortunately, you can get this program any longer but I sure wish you could. Have have made copies of the disk so I can keep it alive as long as possible and continue to use it nearly every day.
My favorite feature is that I can set starting and ending dates. For me that's a starting date of Jan 1 and an ending date of Dec. 31. I can add and subtract stopovers all year long and choose the best route and if a detour makes sense based upon destinations we know we must or choose to visit. At the end of the year I have a complete record of all of our travels with each stopover, the dates and the mileages all with the click of one button.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no way that I can go into all of the features of MS&T, but there have been some erroneous posting(s).

It can be used with a GPS antenna. They sell a GPS version, with antenna, for about $125, give or take. There are other satellite antennas that will work with MS&T. The $30 version does not have an antenna, but if you have an antenna, it will work with the $30 version. So each year you do not have to buy the more expensive MS&T if you have already purchased the GPS version, just replace the software with the $30 version. There are no updates, just yearly replacement. I guess that is the update.

I find the show/hide places, and checking only campgrounds check box, will display the CG's little box which I find hard to see. So, if you look at the tool bar (I'm using 2010 MS&T) you will find an icon that says "Show in Bing Maps." This used to be Microsoft Maps, but they merged with Bing. You can go there directly (Bing Maps).

Now once there you will see a Bing search line that you can add a search word to. This is assuming you already have selected a city. If not, you can use this same search line to find a city. Once the city is pictures, zoom in to a comfortable level. Then, in that same search line put in the words, "rv park" without the quotes. Also, use the word "campground" without the quotes. You will get different results. You can use this same technique with Google Maps.

I use MS&T as a route planner to verify against my GPS (TomTom) An example: from Rawlins, WY to Colorado Springs, CO, the GPS wants me to take US-287 off of I-80. Looking at MS&T, I'm going to go 18 miles further and take I-25S, just so I can stay on the Interstate System for this leg of the trip. US-285 I believe has some steeper climbs.

Look at all the menus in MS&T. Route Options allows you to put in fuel costs, driving times, etc, for planning purposes.

If you have a specific question, holler and I'll do my best to answer.
Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #9

Geeze I wish I could edit my posts on this forum like I can on EVERY OTHER forum that I post to! Sorry about the spelling and grammar errors above.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I am currently using Trailer Life's trip planner software to plan a 3 month trip through eastern Canada and the upper eastern part of the US and like it very well. The feature that I like the most is it has all the campgrounds that are in the Trailerlife campground book with more info than is in the book. It also allows you to program the date you are leaving, and the number of nights you are going to stay at a location. The 2011 version is due out in January and is reported to have many more new features. Trailerlife is offering a 30 day money back deal. I don't plan on using it for the actual trip but will have it handy on my laptop if I need it. I use a RVputer with the Garmin Mobile PC system via a touch screen.
texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #11

I like to use Travel Life CD 2010. it is easy to use, has many campgrounds w/reviews, gives mileage/day, gives you trip expenses, etc. it costs 39.00 and i can plan a two week trip in a couple of hours, including finding "good" campgrounds. It is worth a try.
AC eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC eagle View Post
I like to use Travel Life CD 2010.
Did you mean Trailer Life CD 2010?
texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bill,
You can edit, you just have to do it within a few minutes.

I'm with you though. But when I edit I don't use the built in "edit" feature, instead I add below what I posted the word "Edited:" and then the reason

Also, keeping with the thread. One of my edited items would be to add:

MS&T also allows for inserting stopping points, times, etc., You can tell it that you only travel during certain hours, and for how long. It gives end of day markers but you can add stopping points and durations for anywhere on the route.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use S&T along with Trailer Life guide, RVParkReview.com, and the individual park web site. Using those has rarely left me with a bad choice. And that covers 1000+ campgrounds.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote