Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Best way to move favorites from one laptop to another laptop

What is the easiest way or best way to move favorites from on latop to another one. I use to do a export but cannot find it anymore or I forgot how to do.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
paz

Don't know if you're using Internet Explorer, Firefox or something else.

For Internet Explorer, click "favorites, click down arrow beside "add to favorites," click "import/export."

For Firefox, click "bookmarks," then click "organize bookmarks," then click "import and backup." You can copy the backup to a flash drive and restore to another computer.

Can't help if you're using something else for a browser.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks Paz, We are using Internet Explorer. When I go to file and then to import/ export . I then go to export to a file and then check address. I then try to burn it to a disk and I get use a write able disk. I am using a DVD + R RW. It has worked before but not now. I do have a flash drive but it in the Cameo bedroom. The Cameo is in a shed and cannot get to it unless I pulled the fiver out of the shed. A 12 foot wide shed is too small for a fiver. It was ok when we had a travel trailer, but don't want to go back.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

I don't think import/export will work within an account. It's been a while since I did it, but someplace on your existing box, there's a file called "favorites.??" You can copy this to a thumb drive or, if you have a home network, put it in the "shared documents" folder. You can then download it to the other computer, after first purging the old favorites file. The next time you fire things up, the copied favorites should be there.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
You can install a program called "X-Marks". Install it on the old computer and on the new one. Do a sync on the old one, do a sync on the new one and all favorites are the same.

You can use the old puter, make a change to your favorites and sync. Start any computer that you have x-marks on and do a sync, now both will have the same favorites.

All that is needed is an internet connection. Program is free.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Use "find" to find the favorites folder on the old computer. Copy it to a flash drive. Go to the new computer and do the same to find the default folder location - copy the folder from the flash drive to the same location. Overwrite the existing folder. Done.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
X-Marks works well. I have used it. At one point a few months ago they stated they were going to discontinue X-Marks, but since have changed their posture.

Also, Firefox Sync works well. For me, Firefox is a less obtrusive browser than Internet Exploder (sic). Also, as stated, you can find the files on your computer and copy them to a CD/DVD.

There is also Drop Box. If you use Drop Box, let me know ahead of time so I an send you an email and get some credit. Drop Box is great for any kind of file to transfer from one computer to another. You have a Drop Box on one lap top, and Drop Box an another computer. There will be a Web Drop Box just for you. You can send privately, or you can send so others can download files. Quite neat, and free. I use it with a lot of family and friends. Give a holler if you need more information.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
What OS are you going from/to? There is a utility called USMT or user state migration tool. You will need some kind of removable storage, a CD should work though. You can usually find it by hitting start>all programs>accessories>system tools and file and settings transfer wizard. It will not only move your favorites but documents and settings also. Just follow the instructions. If you are going from XP to 7 there is a free download from Microsoft that works the same.

To move just your favorites. Go to My Computer>C: (or whatever drive your OS is in)>documents and settings>whatever your user name is, might be owner or user>then right click on favorites and copy or click and drag it to your removable drive. The favorites folder will look like a star not a folder. After you set up the new note book just find the same user folder and drag and drop or paste your favorites from the removable drive into it. Place it in the folder that is the user name not into the already created favorites.

It might sound a little complicated but it is not. Just take your time and read what the transfer wizard is asking you to do. PM me if you like I did this with hundreds of computers back when I was unfortunate enough to have to work. I'm no PC expert just did a lot of upgrades and moved files for users.

EDIT: Another easy way after you find the favorites folder is to attach it to an email to a friend and after your email is set up in the new computer have them send it back to you.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks, I have not got the laptop yet. I ordered Thursday from Dell. What I want to do is copy the favorites from the desktop and put them in the new laptop. Both are Windows 7. Thanks Mark I will try that.

I GOT IT !! I now have my addresses on a disk. All I need now is the new laptop.
Tom
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you use firefox it can import all your favorites from MSIE.

Then there is a SYNC option that lets you log into a remote server and upload all your favorites (Also your password file if you have one) and then with the new laptop you enter the same user name and password and encryption key and ... instant copy of favorites, and password.. The files are encrypted on the remote server

SyncFox is an add on, you get it by going to tools, addons, then choosing get more addons.

With MSIE.. let me check for the file name/location but you should be able to just copy the favorites to a flash drive or even network copy computer to computer.

Also, I thin there is an option in one of them (Firefox most likely) to export the favorites file as an HTML file, again to a flash drive is best, and import it on the new machine.. This only copies the favorites file though NOT the password file.

I did not find my favorites file on the first search.. But you can try. Here is how

With the browser open find any link in the favorites file and COPY

In Notepad PASTE
Pick a short form of the url.. IE. iRV2 - The Friendly RV Forum Community (not the full url for the forum)

Go to START, menu and choose SEARCH For files containing the text iRV2 - The Friendly RV Forum Community.

Found it on the second try

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Favorites\

NOTE: John, is the account name that I use on this computer,, (When you log in to windows, I log in as John) might be called OWNER but that's the folder

I don't have much in that file since I don't use MSIE much.