Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Unhappy Best way to use iPhone for navigation?

I cleverly took my garmin rv760-lmt out of the MH over the winter and put it in my toad. Naturally, some &*^^* broke in and stole it.

I'm getting ready for a trip and was just wondering... I have a Verizon jetpack with 12gig data allowance for the month.

If I use my Iphone6 to navigate would it make a difference in data usage if I just ran off cell data, or fired up the jetpack and ran off wireless hotspot?

Probably a dumb question, but never actually tried both ways.

I'll be very happy to get a replacement garmin but it's not going to happen this month. :(
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #2

How the iPhone knows where you are | Macworld

Your phone is referencing cell towers or wi-fi hotspots to figure out where it is, not connecting with them and sending any data.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
You can download one of many stand alone gps programs ( APPS ) both paid and a few free that download the maps and keep them on the phone not using any cell data. It will use the built in gps and wifi signals to place you on those maps. Most or many of the free ones don't download maps until you need them so those use data to "get" the maps "as you go" needing a constant cell connection and data use. I prefer the stand alone apps as they work stand alone without data use just like your old gps
Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

It should be no difference so just use the iPhone. There are several apps available for the iPhone including the built in maps app. On a second thought, if you have an iPhone, why the jet pack unless the iPhone is not always around.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Iphone and Google maps a lot, don't seem to use much data.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

CoPilot stores all of the maps internally. It only needs to access the internet if you want to do a search for some category or specific place that in not stored. If you want to find the nearest grocery store, gas station, medical facility, etc., no internet connection is needed.

If you want to find a place to get your portable generator repaired, a lumber yard, a Radio Shack, etc., an internet connection will be required to find the address. Once the address is identified, it reverts back to the internal maps to get you there.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Assuming your IPhone and Jetpack are on the same plan, then they both use the same data allowance. Probably very little difference in performance.

For mapping I would recommend Google Maps. If you haven't used it before, then be aware there's a difference between Google Map "directions" and Google Map "navigation". The navigation is really quite good, although not at all specific or customizable for an RV. If you're worried about navigation in an area without cell coverage, they do allow you do download a section of the map for offline use. I've used it on a daily basis in the past for commuting, and the data usage is nominal. Certainly not enough to affect your GB scale allowance.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #8

We use the Sygic app. Once the maps are downloaded there is no date needed for use while travelling.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

I would use it to call my wife. She always tells me how to drive and where to go.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks everybody-
Looks like the consensus is to download an app then download the maps before the trip and i'll be good using the iphone to navigate. A few years ago, I had an android and used the navigation for a short trip when out of town. When I got home I got a nasty text from my IP saying I was restricted to 10 mg data for the rest of the month since i had been guilty of roaming and using data. That's probably not something to worry about now since Verizon doesn't have to do roaming.

The thing that really gripes me is that with the loss of my Garmin RV760LMT, my perfectly functioning wireless backup camera with the transmitter is usless and I really miss it. I don't suppose there's an app for that? (paring the iphone up to the wireless camera??)

Failing that, if there's anybody with a RV760 LMT that they want to get rid of, let me know. holding my breath

Again, thanks again everybody. you guys are the greatest.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have not used the iPhone app WAZE you should try it. Real time updates for all road hazards, speed traps and more. It will route you around major problems.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

Howdy!

I'Ve been using Co-Pilot gps app for years on my smartphone and tablet as a fulltimer.

https://copilotgps.com/us/personal/iphone.asp

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
Thanks everybody-
Looks like the consensus is to download an app then download the maps before the trip and i'll be good using the iphone to navigate. A few years ago, I had an android and used the navigation for a short trip when out of town. When I got home I got a nasty text from my IP saying I was restricted to 10 mg data for the rest of the month since i had been guilty of roaming and using data. That's probably not something to worry about now since Verizon doesn't have to do roaming.
If you get CoPilot, you have the choice, at no extra charge, to download the maps for (if I remember correctly) the eastern U.S., western U.S., entire U.S., or all of north America. you can also change your mind later. The only limiting factor may be the available memory in your phone.

Joel
Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
Thanks everybody-

The thing that really gripes me is that with the loss of my Garmin RV760LMT, my perfectly functioning wireless backup camera with the transmitter is usless and I really miss it. I don't suppose there's an app for that? (paring the iphone up to the wireless camera??)

Failing that, if there's anybody with a RV760 LMT that they want to get rid of, let me know. holding my breath

Again, thanks again everybody. you guys are the greatest.
Look at the WiFi backup camera from Rampage. It uses rechargeable batteries and a magnetic base. I mount it on the roof of my truck whrn hitching the 5th wheel. I also slap it on the back of the 5th wheel for backing up.

Once, I I hooked up in a hurry. After driving about 400 miles, I noticed it still sitting on the roof of the truck. they used good magnets.

Joel