Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Best Wi Fi Booster

Looking to go full-timing need a Wi-Fi Booster what do you guys suggest it would be for full coverage in the 32 ft motorhome
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #2

Any of the WiFiRanger products if you want the 'best'.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Best Wi Fi Booster

Do a google search on “Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100”
We set this up in our 40’ and have been pleased.

And to second what others have said. Nothing will fix an overloaded or poor Park WiFi system.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wi-Fi booster often of marginal value due to the poor CG WiFi system - RF congested and low backhaul bandwidth. Better to use a cellular hotspot device.

But for an effective low cost and easy to setup WiFi booster I like the alpha camp pro.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

While researching the same thing I came to the realization that campground wifi isn’t going to be the best option for us and forwent the wifi booster for a cellular booster.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I agree I really want a booster when we are boondocking more so then at a campground
I should have said cell booster
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just ordered the David Bott NANO WiFi booster. I read a lot of information on this subject and this to me is a clear choice due to the fact that it’s inexpensive and somewhat easy to use.
A cell phone booster will be the next thing I order for when the bandwidth at the campground is slow.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #8

Best Wi Fi Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
I agree I really want a booster when we are boondocking more so then at a campground
I should have said cell booster

We went with WeBoost Drive 4G-X. I think there is an RV specific unit. I have the small 4” (or 5) magnetic antenna that I have on the roof (bought a piece of 12 x 18 metal from Home Depot, painted it white and 2-part epoxy and Dicor’d it to the roof). I’ve considered upgrading the antenna but really so far it’s been pretty good.

I work from the road and get into a few camps where I’m struggling for a signal on my phone but the booster always seems to get a good signal. I can work efficiently enough down to about 3mbps. It took some getting used to coming from a home connection of about 100 but it just makes me slow down a bit. I do tech work and are mostly dialed into servers and WebEx meetings (sometimes both and sharing my screen) and it does the job. We see some lag but WebEx does that more than the slow speeds.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #9

I just finished installing a bullet ubiquiti router with a 6db antenna on the roof. Just trying it at home and i pick up about 25 networks in our neighborhood. I have about $150.00 in the system.
I also installed a sure call cell booster since i was running cables. Have good signal at the house so hard to test.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 06:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Any of the WiFiRanger products if you want the 'best'.
X2
Old 03-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #11

I got a We-Boost "Cellular Booster" not WiFi Booster at the Hershey show last year. I also got a suction Cup mount for the antenna that allows me to mount the external antenna on a PVC pole attached to a slide on my coach. This arrangement requires me to set it up and take it down each time we move, but I designed it to be a pretty quick setup.
I've only used it once when I was unable to make a cell phone call from a CG. It allowed me to.

If you're not familiar, a cellular booster receives the weak cellular signal and rebroadcasts it so that any device that receives cellular signals either voice or data can use the rebroadcast signal. In effect it's like moving the cellular tower closer. This is not a technical explanation but it's in effect how it works. However a booster must have a signal to boost, ie no signal -- then no boosted signal.

It is not carrier specific, it boosts any cellular signal it receives.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

I'm putting in the Alfa Camp Pro, and am looking for a more "flexible" antenna solution. The Alfa antenna is a 9db 24" unit, but is hard mounted to our ladder. Any low hanging tree branches are going to reach out and grab it. I'd like an articulated, or swing, or spring, antenna solution so I can either put it down when de-camping, or it will go down on it's own when a tree branch disagrees with it. Any ideas? The Alfa antenna has a male thread N Type female center.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

There are a few posts of pictures of electric motor mast pivots. Since the WiFi antenna is never used while driving, it can be folded down for hassle free driving. Raise it when you are parked / camping.

I was going to build one with a left over linear actuator motor I originally got for my step cover. Not the highest priority project right now, but it's on the list.

Upgrading headlights tomorrow is higher on the list.