Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
This statement is TOTALY wrong!!!!!
Please.. tell me how...?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #30

Unless something happened recently, Nobody has ever broken through the security between the box and the satellite. Years ago some young guys stole cards etc but they were caught. Being hooked to a phone or anything else doesn't seem to be needed. The only service I heard of requiring a phone line was Tivo.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
So with a in-motion sat system, what works best?
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Being hooked to a phone or anything else doesn't seem to be needed.
If it cant dial in, or connect broadband depending on model, Dish WILL charge you for it...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
If it cant dial in, or connect broadband depending on model, Dish WILL charge you for it...
Yet another reason I'm glad I'm with DirecTv. I haven't had a land line... and only a rare internet connection... for six years. No extra charge but I can't order PPV via my remote. I can go on line into my account and order it or I can connect the receiver to the internet... or I can call in to order and pay a handling fee, but no monthly charge for not being connected to a land line.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #34

10 year with dish in the house, no phone line connected, no extraneous charges. The phone line is just for PPV.

A few years back they changed the cards because they were afraid the encryption was going to get broken. Usually by the time someone cracks the key they change it (done over the air, the card is only part of it). when the crackers get faster than their key change interval they have to make a card change.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Look on the bill for something like 'Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee'... I just went DSL (from wireless) and paid that damn fee for 6 years due to not having a phone line.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
This not necessarily true as my units cannot dial in and I do not get charged for.
patty98311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
I won't say I have have had great service from either Dish or Direct TV. I've had them both and have been frustrated with both on different occasions. I currently have Dish and several months ago I called and asked about using my home receiver box while traveling in my RV and the representative said no problem but I would have to be able to line up the dish for the location here I happened to be. The representative also said I should be able to use my old direct TV dish if I didn't want to take the one off my house. I know if I travel for several weeks and do not use the system I have to have them "reboot" it when I get home.

I live very remote and do not have a telephone receptacle any where near the TV that I can connect to the box but I will checkout the next bill for "Additional Outlet Programming Access fee" but do not expect to find that phrase since I tend to question any billing I don't understand.

Anyone other than me remember saying years ago "we'll be glad when we have pay TV so we won't have to watch commercials"?
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
They used to charge for it. I just checked my bill and it isn't there. I have had one receiver connected to broadband and the bill was not lower. A connection is required to buy PPV with a remote, but that's it.

I've had both services over the past decade. When I had DirecTV, I got their Titanium package which includes everything. It's expensive, but there is no charge for PPV, etc. One price covered it all. Then we moved and DirecTV completely botched the installation. They left holes in the wall and installed the dish near trees that left us will a low signal strength. It took them three days and they didn't return to finish the wiring in my office. I canceled DirecTV and had Dish come in. Their installers were very professional. The job was done in a couple of hours.

The two services are pretty comparable. DirecTV has some significant advantages when it comes to packages like NFL Sunday Ticket. Nobody else has it. Beyond the sports packages, there really isn't much difference except pricing. Dish has an advantage with their dual tuner receivers. AFAIK, DirecTV still doesn't have one. In the RV, I like having one receiver feed two TVs.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
They used to charge for it. I just checked my bill and it isn't there. I have had one receiver connected to broadband and the bill was not lower. A connection is required to buy PPV with a remote, but that's it.

I've had both services over the past decade. When I had DirecTV, I got their Titanium package which includes everything. It's expensive, but there is no charge for PPV, etc. One price covered it all. Then we moved and DirecTV completely botched the installation. They left holes in the wall and installed the dish near trees that left us will a low signal strength. It took them three days and they didn't return to finish the wiring in my office. I canceled DirecTV and had Dish come in. Their installers were very professional. The job was done in a couple of hours.

The two services are pretty comparable. DirecTV has some significant advantages when it comes to packages like NFL Sunday Ticket. Nobody else has it. Beyond the sports packages, there really isn't much difference except pricing. Dish has an advantage with their dual tuner receivers. AFAIK, DirecTV still doesn't have one. In the RV, I like having one receiver feed two TVs.
kjburns,
Maybe we're not talkin' about the same thing but my DirecTV has dual tuners. I have four units, two of which are DVR's and can record two channels at the same time or record one and watch another.

Just sayin'....
Larry K. (michigancamper)
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #40

1ciderdog: I sure do remember, now I am paying a monthly fee to watch their ignorant commercials. Where were we when they pulled the wool over our eyes. More than 10 minutes of every half hour program is commercials. Half the available channels are 100% commercials called "Paid Programming".
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
You do need a phone line connected to order PPV, but that's about it.
ONLY if you're trying to order PPV with your remote.

Otherwise, you do NOT need the receivers hooked to a phone line simply to order PPV, since this can be done with either a telephone call or online at their website (this is true for both Dish Network and DirecTV).

We've never had our receivers hooked up to a phone line and we watch PPV movies frequently by ordering them online.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty98311 View Post
This not necessarily true as my units cannot dial in and I do not get charged for.
Hmm.. do you have the dual tv 622/722 DVR's or the single tv ones?