RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #15

It appears that there are no files on the forum. When they say "templates" they mean the files that are in the app, about 8 or 9 of them. Elsewhere on the website they mention that if you have a great design send it to them and they will consider adding it to the the 'templates'. At least that is my read on what they are doing.

On the main GitHub page that comes up from the link there is a green button, "Clone or Download" that will give you a zip file.

Tried again the morning and Dropbox was working, don't know why I didn't see that last night.

ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
It appears that there are no files on the forum. When they say "templates" they mean the files that are in the app, about 8 or 9 of them. Elsewhere on the website they mention that if you have a great design send it to them and they will consider adding it to the the 'templates'. At least that is my read on what they are doing.

On the main GitHub page that comes up from the link there is a green button, "Clone or Download" that will give you a zip file.

Tried again the morning and Dropbox was working, don't know why I didn't see that last night.

Glad you were able to get the other cloud services like DropBox to work.

Thanks for the extra info as well. I just now tried to find the GREEN DOWNLOAD button and found something odd. THAT BUTTON ONLY EXISTS ON THE TOP DIRECTORY!!! Thatís pretty lame since, if you download, youíll end up with the ENTIRE contents of that whole section. Not disastrous, but still will cause most people to lose [the rest of] their hair!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 7.38.15 AM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	232212  

CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Glad you were able to get the other cloud services like DropBox to work.

Thanks for the extra info as well. I just now tried to find the GREEN DOWNLOAD button and found something odd. THAT BUTTON ONLY EXISTS ON THE TOP DIRECTORY!!! That’s pretty lame since, if you download, you’ll end up with the ENTIRE contents of that whole section. Not disastrous, but still will cause most people to lose [the rest of] their hair!
I zipped two of my files (XML and screenshot) and uploaded it to the BobGed repo. When I click on it it gives me the option to download it.

You might give that a try and see if it works for you. If so I'll zip my other one.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I zipped two of my files (XML and screenshot) and uploaded it to the BobGed repo. When I click on it it gives me the option to download it.

You might give that a try and see if it works for you. If so I'll zip my other one.

Hi Bob,

Ok, so...it works better, having that zip file, because NOW there is a DOWNLOAD button after you click on the zip file! Thatís good.

HOWEVER, the problem is, youíve zipped not just the xml file, but also the jpg image, as well as put them into a couple nested FOLDERS.

This will, again, cause some peopleís train to derail. Reason being, they have to download the file, open it in Files, then dig a few folders down to finally see the xml file.

The good news is, you CAN Browse and Import the file! ;-)

Thanks for working on this!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How to get single files with an iPad device.

When doing things like downloading files from the internet, and basic file management, the iPad is not the easiest thing to use. Thanks to CaptainGizmo's post, I did find a pretty simple workflow that I am going to document here.

This example uses "Dropbox", but you can safely substitue any of the following applications:

* Google Drive
* iCloud Drive
* MS Onedrive
* any other cloud based drive service

Just substitute anyplace you see "Dropbox" with your personal preference.

You will need to first have the Dropbox application installed on your iPad, and log in to make sure that it is ready to receive files.

Now browse to the github site https://github.com/redbaron73/BlueFire-Dash in Safari.

Step 1 - Choose the folder that has the dash you want to loadClick image for larger version

Name:	step1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	232214

Step 2 - Choose the file you want to use for your dash. Click on the file name.

Name:	step2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	232215

Step 3 - Click on the Raw link above the file text

Name:	step3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	232216

Step 4 - At the top of your browser, click the share link, just to the right of the address bar. Then on the popup, choose "Save to Dropbox". If this is not visible, you will have to choose the "more.." option at the far right, and add the drop box as an option by turning it on.

Name:	step4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	522.8 KB
ID:	232217

Load into Bluefire Application

Now that the file is on Drop box, you need to launch the Bluefire Application, and show your current dashboard.

Step 5 - Once loaded, double tap on any white space where there is no gauge.

Name:	step5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	232218

Step 6 - Scroll down to where you can see the text "Import Custom Dash" and tap this selection.

Name:	step6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	232219

Step 7 - Tap the Browse button

Name:	step7.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	232220

Step 8 - Choose your Dropbox folder on the left of the locations, and then browse to the folder you saved the file. Press the file to select it.

Name:	step8.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	232224

Step 9 - You will be returned to the import dash screen. Press the blue button "Show Dash"

Name:	step9.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	232222

Step 10 - Enjoy your new dash

Name:	step10.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	232223

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Bob,

Ok, so...it works better, having that zip file, because NOW there is a DOWNLOAD button after you click on the zip file! Thatís good.

HOWEVER, the problem is, youíve zipped not just the xml file, but also the jpg image, as well as put them into a couple nested FOLDERS.

This will, again, cause some peopleís train to derail. Reason being, they have to download the file, open it in Files, then dig a few folders down to finally see the xml file.

I just added a test dash file under the redbaron73, both the dash-test.xml and a zip version of this.

I do not see an easy step to load this into the dashboard, as it still needs file management. Can you tell me if your workflow is any faster than what I outlined in my wordy 10 steps above? I would like to have a faster method for iPad users, but I can't figure it out.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear it at least worked for you. I just did a quick Zip with a program I haven't used much and wasn't aware that it would zip the complete path. There's is probably a setting where I can keep that from happening.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
How to get single files with an iPad device.
<snipped for brevity>

Very nice step by step instructions. The process worked fine for me. Also thanks to CaptainGizmo.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all for the effort with this. I was able to download Bobís small gauge panel and it was nice to have the jpg of it as well. I used Dropbox but could not get it to load into BlueFire from there. Then I tried Google Drive and it worked quite easily.
I appreciate the sharing of the files and am looking forward to hearing some actual driving impressions of the device.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Thanks to all for the effort with this. I was able to download Bobís small gauge panel and it was nice to have the jpg of it as well. I used Dropbox but could not get it to load into BlueFire from there. Then I tried Google Drive and it worked quite easily.
I appreciate the sharing of the files and am looking forward to hearing some actual driving impressions of the device.
anybody speak english on this site? some of us old folk, at least me, don't quite understand what you're talking about.
makemglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemglow View Post
anybody speak english on this site? some of us old folk, at least me, don't quite understand what you're talking about.
The ease or complexity of importing dash layouts depends on which type of device you're running the program on.

What platform, IOS (Apple device), Android or Windows 10, are you using?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The ease or complexity of importing dash layouts depends on which type of device you're running the program on.

What platform, IOS (Apple device), Android or Windows 10, are you using?
first of all what is a dash layout.? speedo, oil pressure, air pressure, fuel guage, turbo boost? why would i need that on my phone,?
makemglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
first of all what is a dash layout.? speedo, oil pressure, air pressure, fuel guage, turbo boost? why would i need that on my phone,?
You might want to take a look at this thread VMSPC replacement option I think that will answer your questions, or create new ones.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Sir,

It has nothing to do with your age!! I believe you may have jumped into a very technical discussion...mid-stream. This is not a topic for the faint-of-technical-heart. ;-)

Going to the very first post of this thread would help a bit, but allow me to give you the 30,000 foot overview of what this is.

YOU DON'T NEED IT! This discussion is the result of a bunch of tech-heads wanting to play around with some devices and software that allows you to view all of the hidden mechanical readings that exist in our coach's on board computer systems. While a few of these "usual" readings are sent to the normal DASHBOARD, ie. Oil, Temp, Speed, RPM, etc., the majority are not used or able to be read unless you're a mechanic with a special computer that plugs into the coach's data ports.

So, the device talked about here, is a device that a layperson can purchase, plug into that port, and then send all the signals to his/her own computer, whether that's a laptop, iPad, iPhone, etc.

Hope this helps.

Captain Gizmo

Tags
dash, dashboard, fire