RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
It uses different hardware. More info here BlueFire for Motorhomes

There is also an active topic here: VMSPC replacement option
BobGed - Thanks so much for taking on the active tech support for this forum!

The 2 threads have different purposes, and this is a good time to clarify the purpose of each thread.

This thread is to discuss the sharing and customization of dashboard files for Bluefire's application. This is a highly technical thread, and not easily understood by all. Please feel free to ask questions, as that is the best way to learn.

Do not be intimidated by some of the terms you see here. Of course, if you really don't want to be involved, then no one will know that you read it and moved on

The discussion of the application, technology, and its position in replacing the VMSPC is in the original thread I created when I discovered this software, found here: VMSPC replacement option

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #58

Software change?

Well, I received my bluefire adaptor today and wanted to try out the different dashes that others have uploaded. (working on a PC) I downloaded all 4 dash files in their XML format, and none of them worked, the software indicated they were not dash files.
I then made a basic dash on my laptop, exported it as an XML, emailed it to myself, and imported the dash on my Cambio tablet, and it worked perfectly, scaled the dash correctly.
I am thinking maybe there has been a software upgrade or change since the dash files on the GitHUb were uploaded, or is that a problem only I am having on my end?

One final question, is there a specific methodology in getting the adapter to connect bluetooth to the tablet or PC? I have a bear of a time getting the bluetooth to connect to the software solidly. (The tablet confirms the bluetooth is connected to the device, but the software connects and then drops, repeatedly.) I am wondering if there is an order to connecting the device so that it works from the outset? Any ideas?

1999 Discovery 37V
Freightliner XC Chassis
Cummins 5.9 Turbo
Bluefire iOS/PC/Android adapter
Cabmio 2-in-1 tablet

RVPastorKevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPastorKevi View Post
Well, I received my bluefire adaptor today and wanted to try out the different dashes that others have uploaded. (working on a PC) I downloaded all 4 dash files in their XML format, and none of them worked, the software indicated they were not dash files.
I then made a basic dash on my laptop, exported it as an XML, emailed it to myself, and imported the dash on my Cambio tablet, and it worked perfectly, scaled the dash correctly.
I am thinking maybe there has been a software upgrade or change since the dash files on the GitHUb were uploaded, or is that a problem only I am having on my end?
I don't pretend to have the answers to your questions, but I'll pass on what I know or think I know.

I have downloaded files from the GitHub site to both my iPad and Win 10 PC, and while they imported okay I did have to make adjustments to the layout particularly going from an iPad layout to my Win 10 device.

I do know there have not been any software updates released, although one is very close. In any case unless otherwise noted, none of the future releases should have any affect on the basic XML file structure.

Quote:
One final question, is there a specific methodology in getting the adapter to connect bluetooth to the tablet or PC? I have a bear of a time getting the bluetooth to connect to the software solidly. (The tablet confirms the bluetooth is connected to the device, but the software connects and then drops, repeatedly.) I am wondering if there is an order to connecting the device so that it works from the outset? Any ideas?

1999 Discovery 37V
Freightliner XC Chassis
Cummins 5.9 Turbo
Bluefire iOS/PC/Android adapter
Cabmio 2-in-1 tablet
Regarding your Bluetooth connection issue, I don't have an answer for your particular problem as this is the first time I've read about anyone experiencing this issue. Are you sure the adapter is fully seated in the harness? Both my iPad and Win 10 PC connect to the adapter and stay connected without any problems. Hard to say whether it's an adapter or PC problem. Possibly someone with more knowledge will respond.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #60

Connection of BlueFire to BlueTooth

I am working on transitioning from VMSpc to BlueFire. First tried BlueFire adapter yesterday on our 2000 Monaco Diplomat with ISC 315. Had same issue as prior poster with maintaining connection.
Found a post from Mark about Settings "Connect to a J1708 Data Bus". His comment was made to a owner having issues with connection on a 2004 coach that Mark felt might still be using the older bus.
Anyway I have not had a chance to go back to coach and retry now that I have checked this setting. May do so tomorrow - 2-3-19.
I am running on iPad Air.
Pat C
2000 Diplomat
2014 CRV
cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpat39 View Post
Found a post from Mark about Settings "Connect to a J1708 Data Bus". His comment was made to a owner having issues with connection on a 2004 coach that Mark felt might still be using the older bus.
Changing that setting makes a big difference on my '04 coach with a Cummins ISL, which I know is using J1708 data. And make sure you update your adapter firmware too. Mine needed to update from 3.16 to 3.17 when I got it. (I have the 9-pin adapter.) Then more data showed up. It is easy to update using a PC and a micro USB cable if you follow the instructions.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #62

Quote:
I just downloaded the file from BobGed as a zip file, extracted the XML file, and tried to load it into my Windows 10 PC running Bluefire for Motorhomes. It imported with no problem. But the spacing does need a little tweaking. I could not download the XML file directly from the website. But I can verify the zip file does download directly and the XML file from it can be used in the Windows version.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #63

Damon Owners Club
This may be asking the impossible...

I have been watching this thread and have my iPad loaded with the app and the BlueFire is on it's way.

I wonder if it is at all possible to orient the circumference of the dials such that the gauge needle, when all parameters are in the "normal" range, can be set to be vertical so that a quick scan of the gauges will confirm that all parameters are in the "normal" range or that one that is out of range and needs attention.

Old race cars used to be set up this way, with even the tachometer being set so that the red line was at the top of the gauge face. I thought it would be nice to set the the air, oil, water, etc, pressure and temps this way.

Is this something that I might take up with the designer?

Ralph
Terbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #64

You can pick the start and end values for the arc, if you are willing to lose some of the gauge range. If normal is 200, pick 150 and 250 for the ends. Not ideal but an option.

The developer does look at this thread from time to time.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #65
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbeau View Post

I wonder if it is at all possible to orient the circumference of the dials such that the gauge needle, when all parameters are in the "normal" range, can be set to be vertical so that a quick scan of the gauges will confirm that all parameters are in the "normal" range or that one that is out of range and needs attention.

Old race cars used to be set up this way, with even the tachometer being set so that the red line was at the top of the gauge face. I thought it would be nice to set the the air, oil, water, etc, pressure and temps this way.

Is this something that I might take up with the designer?

Ralph
I'd like this too. This is done on aircraft too.
Vaark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #66
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
One way to make all of your gauges to all point in the same direction, such as all pointing up, at there optimum/normal reading is to make the range of the gauge twice the desired value. So for instance, if normal oil pressure is 50, a gauge with a max of 100 will show the needle straight up.
Vaark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #67

Display solutions

I think we are all well on our way with designing and implementing our desired displays. Now what I'd like to see is how you are mounting your display in your coach. I myself want to place the android tablet in front of the instrument cluster and am looking for ways of doing so.

I have what I think is a display layout I like. I have plugged the Blufire in to the data port and it paired without any problems. Because my coach is in storage till springtime I was only able to try it with the key on but not running the engine. Won't be taking it for a drive until the roads are salt free.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbeau View Post
He is working on that right now. Hopefully it will be available in the next update coming soon. Watch for it.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #69

Mounting my Dash display in 2000 Monaco Diplomat

I have been using VMSpc in our coach for about 4 years. Using HP X2 tablet/keyboard for display. In process of switching to use of iPad and BlueFire.
Mounted HP with velcro on back of tablet and on dash. Used the velcro dots with one strip. Vertical support provided by existing rearview camera display. As you can see in pictures display does cover some instruments and the turn signal indicators. That has not been an issue for me. iPad and HP are approximately the same overall size.
Making switch to BlueFire as I like gauges better and BF runs much faster on iPad than on Windows10 on HP.

Pat C
Walnut Creek CA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	234863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	234864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	234865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	234866  

Old 02-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #70

Curious about what Android tablets used with Bluefire

In previous posts I have mentioned using iPad Air that has Bluetooth BLE 4.0. iPad is not connecting to BF and I believe it is due to early version of BT supplied in this model of iPad. My iPhone X works beautifully with BF, but is too small a display for my purposes. Prefer at this time not to spend money on new iPad.

What Android tablets are you using. Principally interested in keeping cost to lower price spectrum. If I have to buy a several hundred dollar Android I'll go ahead and purchase new iPad.

Tags
dash, dashboard, fire