Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Boogey Lights Under Glow Installation - 45DP

After quite a bit of research and planning, I have commenced my DIY installation of LEDs on the underside of my motor coach. .

My installation will include the addition of 10-ten separate LED strips, one RF controller to be commonly switched taking power from a spare 20A fuse terminal in the coach electrical bay (cord reel bay).

Over the course of installation, I'll be posting photographs that will hopefully help other contemplating a similar "DIY" install of ground surround LED lighting underneath their motor home.

Installation Post # 1 - Here are some photos on the front fascia generator slide LED instal. As shown, I used 1/4" SS all thread (replacing the OE 1/4-self-tapping screws which anchor the fog light brackets) as the end mounts for some 3/4" W aluminum angle extrusion to which I bolted the LED aluminum channel to. Then added a center support bracket from my generator slide actuator housing making sure that when closing the LED light bar and support bracketry will clear all and it does.

LF - OEM Fog Light mount anchor brace used to anchor LED strip light aluminum extrusion and channel. 1/4" SS all thread secured with lock nuts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4074.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	185000

View from LF to RF

Name:	IMG_4075.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	185001

View RF to LF. denotes use of 1" aluminum flat bar bolted to generator slide actuator/ram head bracket to serve as center support arm for LED aluminum extrusion and strip light channel. If doing an install such as this, be sure to take all measurements with the gen. slide in both the open and closed position to ensure there is or will be no conflicts or obstructions.

Name:	IMG_4077.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	185002

More photos and explanations of my install will follow this post/thread.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Me too!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Boogey Lights Under Glow Installation - 45DP

The purpose of this?

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Atmosphere...Waiting to see controller...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

Hi. I have a single Boogey Light LED strip installed under my awning on my 5er. I installed it last summer and it has worked great until now. I do wish it was capable of dimming more but not a big deal. Now that temps here are dropping into the low teens I find the strip comes on at night and flashes red until the sun hits the side of the trailer and heats it up. I tried replacing the remote battery but it still happens. For now I just removed the fuse.
Fritschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
The purpose of this?
If you're asking what the purpose of this post/threads are, As stated in my OP, my intent is to share my DIY installation with others that may be contemplating a similar installation. That's it.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Atmosphere...Waiting to see controller...
Correct: Atmosphere

As to the controller install, etc. I'm having to suspend the installation by 1-week due to another engagement. Should be back on it this time next week and will resume posting photos of the installation along with the explanation of how & why in terms of mounting techniques, wiring runs, controller location, etc.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
If you're asking what the purpose of this post/threads are, As stated in my OP, my intent is to share my DIY installation with others that may be contemplating a similar installation. That's it.
I realize that you want to share your DIY, I was wondering why you want to run the underbelly lights in the first place. Some owners keep lights on underneath to keep varmits away from the coach while it is in storage.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:04 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
I realize that you want to share your DIY, I was wondering why you want to run the underbelly lights in the first place. Some owners keep lights on underneath to keep varmits away from the coach while it is in storage.
Not uncommon, these type "ground effects" LED strip lights are offered as an OEM option which my 2017 motorcoach was not ordered with. I simply elected to instal them myself after getting quotes from Newmar to do it for $4500 vs. what will be approx. $700 with my doing it. I like the appearance these ground effects lighting adds and that it. No other reason.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:58 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Additional photos of the installation of Boogey Lights Inc, "Under Glow" surround LED lighting on the underside of my 45DP (2017 Newmar Essex). In these photos I show/indicate the means by which I found to route the wiring for the rear light strips (behind Tag axle and rear fascia/bumper/rock guard) forward to the basement compartment in front of the drive axle. For my coach, there was no open access available to be found on the chassis to route the wiring without penetrating the RV house so finding this channel provided an alternate solution.

Open channel that runs along the top of the basement below the RV house and is concealed from the outside/exterior of the coach. Access was found at the top of the basement door frame behind the door seal weather-stripping.

Name:	IMG_4184.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	188074

Indication of the location of the channel as it runs through the drive/tag axle wheel well.

Name:	IMG_4197.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	188075
Indication of split loom conduit having been run using the open channel inside of the wheel well (from rear chassis battery compartment into basement forward of drive axle). The split loom was later secured using loom clamps then then further sealed using expanding foam spray with under coating applied to 1) hold it in place and 2) seal it all up.

Name:	IMG_4200.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	188076
Indicates exit point of split loom conduit where I reached the forward (ahead of drive axle) cargo basement compartment.

Name:	IMG_4205.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	188077
Old 01-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Additional photos of the installation of Boogey Lights Inc, "Under Glow" surround LED lighting on the underside of my 45DP (2017 Newmar Essex).

Pole Terminals were used in the Rear (chassis battery compartment) and Forward (in generator slide compartment (not shown here) to connect the 3-LED light strips installed on the rear/front fascia(s) and behind the tag axle and forward of the steer tires. Both pole terminals were commonly grounded to the chassis at these locations allowing for only 1-14 AWG Pos (+) wire to need to be run through the coach to the midship basement where the junction box & RF controller are mounted.

Name:	IMG_4212.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	188078

Installation of junction box w/master on/off power switch and MD-HD7 controller. Power feed wire was run from the controller to my electrical/cord reel bay located on the driver's side.

Name:	IMG_4237.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	188079
Old 01-08-2018, 04:13 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Photos of the finished product; Boogey Lights' Under Glow surround LEDs. 10-strips in total in various lengths of 3', 4', 8' and 16' sections. Installed using aluminum channel extrusions bolted to the undersides of the belly pans or other sub-structure beneath the coach, then using the supplied diffusers on all completed with RVT silicone'ing of the ends to protect against water intrusion from wheel and road splash.

Note: I elected to go with the single color, soft white LEDs which are dim-able using the controller to match to my existing OEM installed LEDS under the passenger side slides and on the Girard Canopy awnings.

Name:	IMG_4280.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	188080

Name:	IMG_4283.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	188081

Name:	IMG_4286.jpg