Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As mentioned earlier in this thread, it appears that the issue is with portable dome type antenna's, since carry out standard tripod dish antenna's work fine.

I guess Dish engineers did not test the software update prior to release?

I wonder what U801 update actually did for them, why the change?
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
As mentioned earlier in this thread, it appears that the issue is with portable dome type antenna's, since carry out standard tripod dish antenna's work fine.

I guess Dish engineers did not test the software update prior to release?

I wonder what U801 update actually did for them, why the change?
I have the Winegard Trav'ler not a dome.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have the Winegard Trav'ler not a dome.

I have the roof mounted Winegard road trip automatic. It’s getting ridiculous. Hope they get this fixed
Sooner1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can those with the Winegard Travelr on their roof please explain how it is different than the tripod mounted dish antenna? I don't have the roof unit, not sure what the difference would be. Not sure if it would be a good idea to install at this point.

I'm not seeing how it is the cause of this. They both use the same LNB, correct? I don't have any switches in my setup. Straight feed into the Wally.

Thanks in advance.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #33
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the one on the roof I just push the power on button and voila, programs.
I had an outside triple LNB dish and it was a chore for me to get it correctly set up.

Others may come along with some technical reasons.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #34

We have a '19 Tiffin with the Mobile T4 and are in for warrantee work. One of the issues is signal loss reported by the Wally, use channel up/down, unplug or call it in if all else fails.
The techs pulled the lid off the dome and marked it to observe it when the signal loss occurred. They said it moved, called Winegard and Winegard blames Wally. We tried both Wally's and both had the issue. The older wally did not go through an update in front of me when I plugged it in and it had the issue the same day before it had a chance to update the firmware.

So I flag Winegard's response as B.S.. This is going to be a classic case of finger pointing between DISH and Winegard.

I say the dish has too small a diameter to adequately track the signal. That would explain the fact that the Traveler does not exhibit this problem. It is huge in comparison to the In Motion T4 which is about 8 or 9 inches in diameter. This is also probably why the T4 does not support HD for DirecTV.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Dan -
What software versions do your Wallys have? That may be the key.

I don't think the dish size is the culprit here. I've had my T4 going in-motion when we travel (we listen to Sirius on-the-road, not watch tv ) for the past 6 months, and the issue only started the same day as the latest update.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "... This is also probably why the T4 does not support HD for DirecTV...". I wasn't aware dish-size would matter there.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #36

It did (require larger antenna) and I believe still does for DirecTV. Years ago, and for many years we had DirecTV at home. We started with the regular round dish. HD came along and to get it, we had to migrate to the slim line which is a much larger dish. We could get standard definition on the boat with an 18 inch oblong but if we wanted HD we had to go with a larger dish.
I suspect that is still the case with HD on boats have a look at the KVH offerings.

Larger dishes collect more signal thus they perform better.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDan View Post
We have a '19 Tiffin with the Mobile T4 and are in for warrantee work. One of the issues is signal loss reported by the Wally, use channel up/down, unplug or call it in if all else fails.
The techs pulled the lid off the dome and marked it to observe it when the signal loss occurred. They said it moved, called Winegard and Winegard blames Wally. We tried both Wally's and both had the issue. The older wally did not go through an update in front of me when I plugged it in and it had the issue the same day before it had a chance to update the firmware.

So I flag Winegard's response as B.S.. This is going to be a classic case of finger pointing between DISH and Winegard.

I say the dish has too small a diameter to adequately track the signal. That would explain the fact that the Traveler does not exhibit this problem. It is huge in comparison to the In Motion T4 which is about 8 or 9 inches in diameter. This is also probably why the T4 does not support HD for DirecTV.
The domes don't support DTV HD because DTV uses a different band for HD. Direct uses Ka band for HD and Ku band for SD. Dish uses Ku band for everything. Since a dome only has one lnb there's no way to receive both bands. It has nothing to do with the size of the dish though Ka band typically does require a larger dish. Domes have been using a smaller dish for years successfully. Given the issues people have been experiencing recently my bet is on the Wally or cabling.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Can those with the Winegard Travelr on their roof please explain how it is different than the tripod mounted dish antenna? I don't have the roof unit, not sure what the difference would be. Not sure if it would be a good idea to install at this point.

I'm not seeing how it is the cause of this. They both use the same LNB, correct? I don't have any switches in my setup. Straight feed into the Wally.

Thanks in advance.
Your ground tripod dish is the same. the only difference is the set up. your not just aiming at one satellite you have to get all three set. In many cases its a pain in the A and not as easy as it sounds. For someone who doesn't travel much and is destination centric ( snowbird) no problem. You can spend time setting it up. We travel a lot .. I use a app to see the satellites in the sky and make sure when i park I can see them, level the coach (push the auto level button) walk the the Travler controller and push "on" .. Pour or mix a beverage sit down and turn on the tv. No difference
Old 05-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
No difference I believe except...
When I park I turn on the power and the dish does the rest.
My disadvantage is I can't move the dish if trees or other obstructions exist.
Your ground base requires some set up work.
Advantage for you is ability to move dish to find unobstructed view of sats.

I believe our reception problems began with U801 software update as others have observed. Not clear to me yet if dome or dish are affected the same by this update.

All the best and safe travels!
Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I have the u 801 update since 4/24 and have had 0 change in operation BUT. I have a travler and I haven’t moved since that date. Hopefully by June when I begin my trip north , then west they will push a update.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #41

DirecTV HD cannot be had with a smaller antenna. The 18" oblong we had supported all of the multiple LNBs but could not go full HD. You cannot get HD from DirecTV with a smaller antenna. If you do, you will be paying KVF megabucks.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #42

Yep, they must have monkeys programming these changes. Back in January they had the 449 update that broke it where it had to do a check switch EVERY morning. Now I can't use my Roadtrip Mission and spent hours on the phone with them troubleshooting their updates. NO THEY DID NOT TEST THIS garbage.
I was lucky to have a new Playmaker I bought to use when trees are in the way. The Playmaker is fine but the Roadtrip Mission is not.
I'll be looking for a couple months credit for the problems they broke and time spent troubleshooting their firmware update to the Wally.

Tags
dish, ems