RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Both of my Wally/DishTV systems went crazy. Why?

One system is a Wally connected to a Winegard RoadTrip T4, and the other is a Wally connected to a Winegard G2+ - both of which are sitting on the roof and in a clear view of the entire sky.

Hadn't used the RoadTrip setup for a few days, but when I turned it on to watch an HD channel (CNN, channel 200) it kept trying to go to the SD version (smaller picture on my tv's). It would be in HD for awhile and then I'd get an Error 004, or maybe 'Complete Signal Loss 12-12-11', and then go to SD, or maybe back to the HD channel for awhile, and so on. I confirmed that it was switching because in the diagnostics I would see it on 119 and then it'd be on 129, and sometimes go back.

Figuring the T4 antenna was going bad, I dug out the G2+ system and fired it up, but it started doing the same thing! My next guess was the cabling, but changing everything there made no difference either.

Both have the latest software U801, dated 4/24/2019 at 1:41am. When I told it to re-download, it said it had the latest version. I also let each setup go thru its Check Switch system check with no difference.

Do I have a bad software load?

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Huh, how about that? I can get my locals in hd just fine (Miami area 4, 5, 7, 10) but not the nationals.

Chatted with DishTV and they said it's a new one on them. I still think it has to do with the software download, all was good til then.

Anybody?

Old 04-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

Same problem here. It’s been happening since software update on 4-24
Sooner1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Aww, man. So glad to hear you're having problems too... wait a minute, that didn't come out right . J/K

What I meant to say say is that when I talked to Dish, they said it was just my equipment and nobody else was reporting issues so they weren't too concerned. There, that's a little better .

Please let them know too so they can get to looking at it - the old squeaky wheel situation. I even asked if they could roll back the software but they said it wasn't possible. Winegard is out today (Sunday), but I left a message. Maybe they can lean on DishTV too.

This is awful. I wanted to watch the races, but all's I can get is local-channel infomercials about how good beet-juice is for you .

Thanks for responding!
Old 04-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Sooner1959 - what equipment do you have?

Be interesting to see if it's just one type or all mobile stuff.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Hi rustytools,

Edit: To clarify, before reading below, if the switch is properly installed (showing all three satellites and check marks with SW64), do not run the test again.

When you run the check switch test, does it install SW64 with all three Western Arc satellites (119/110/129)? Also, can you check signal strengths on the following satellite/transponder combos to make sure we have sufficient signal on them?

satellite 110, transponder 19
satellite 110, transponder 22
satellite 119, transponder 14
satellite 119, transponder 10
satellite 129, transponder 23
satellite 129, transponder 28

Should see good reading off all of those with a properly configured checkswitch and no obstructions, which it sounds like there aren't. You could use our Winegard app or any number of sat finder apps to verify.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Winegard -

Thanks for chiming in. Even with this glitch, makes me feel good that I chose the right mfgrs - who follow their customers.

I should have added in my earlier posts that EVERYTHING was just fine a few days ago.

Yes, it does install all 3 satellites, and I don't remember seeing any low signals. But wife is watching a dvd right now so I won't be able to check the exact signal strengths til tomorrow. I will post the results then.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2019, 04:48 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I was hoping things cleared themselves overnight, but still having the same issues.

It does install SW64, and says it sees the Western satellites as I'm on top of a small hill with no obstructions. Here's the readings I got, with both systems within a point of each other...

satellite 110, transponder 19... 49
satellite 110, transponder 22... 36
satellite 119, transponder 14... 35
satellite 119, transponder 10... 41
satellite 129, transponder 23... 35
satellite 129, transponder 28... 28

These are the typical numbers I've seen in the past, too.

Ok, what next?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Here's what I just got from Winegard Customer Support...

"...The U801 software version is causing an inconsistent voltage issue on the receiver which is th reason you are getting the 004 error. You can change channels and go back to the previous channel and it should temporarily fix the issue. DISH corporate was informed of this issue late last week, it cannot be permanently resolved until they come up with a software update.
Thank you, Winegard Customer Support..."

Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Hi RustyTools,

Your signal strengths look fine so it seems the antenna is operating as designed. I have spoke with our technical service team this morning and they reiterated the response that you received above - seems there may be some issues with the newest Wally software update at this point.

I'm going to reach out to our DISH contacts to see if I can get any additional info that may be of help. For the time being, I'd say to follow the recommended fix to change the channel and hopefully there may be a permanent resolution available shortly.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. I hope they fix it soon, this is driving me nuts!

Guess we'll be going to RedBox a lot til then .
Old 04-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. I hope they fix it soon, this is driving me nuts!

Guess we'll be going to RedBox a lot til then .
Hi Rusty Tools,
We've been experiencing the same issue since 4/19 when our Wally updated to U801. I had called Dish tech support 3 times and any help was temporary till it started acting up again. Thinking that the Wally was failing, I bought a new Wally and after installing enjoyed one evening of uninterrupted viewing. Overnight the Wally updated to version U801 and now the problem has started up again.
I had asked tech support about the software update issue (seemed too much of a coincidence) and they responded that 'this was news to them, so it can't be the reason'.
Thanks for getting Winegard involved and finding the problem. Hopefully, Dish will respond quickly. We've used their service for several years and they have responded quickly to resolve issues in the past. Time will tell...
PJMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
My Wally started to reboot while watching a recorded show. It did it yesterday and again today. I got the 801 update on 4/24.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
And a friend used to wonder why it took me so long to 'upgrade' from Windows XP.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Tags
dish, ems