Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

Bought used 5er with Auto Dish Antenna

Hi, I thought I was one of the sharpest knives in the drawer,but, maybe not so.
I just purchased a 2007 Presidential Suite . The previous owner removed various electronic devices and now there is a jumble of cables in the overhead cabinet. On the roof there is a Weingard Trav'ler antenna with a decal that says D/P Plus. In the cabinet there is a Weingard "Sensar Pro ". Also on the roof is an manual crank up antenna some call a "bat wing". I know the functional difference between the antenna's.
Here's my questions, how the heck do you operate the automatic sat. ant. Is there a clicker the previous took with them. I have a suspicion that the D/P Plus is a DishNet antenna. I am a long time Direct TV customer in my house, are there parts available to convert the automatic antenna to Direct TV. There are 3 LNB's on the boom.
Sure hope someone can help

CLIFFORD J
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #2

The PO might have removed the Winegard Travler control box. If so, you will either have to try and get it from them or contact Winegard and try to buy a new control box. They are service specific, so you will need to also know if your wanting Dish or Directv. Also which service the dish was designed for.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #3

Hi Don, I have to go back up lay down and look under the dish to see if it says Direct or Dish. It's collapsed right now. I venture to guess it's a 2007 vintage. If it is a Direct TV dish will my home box work with the roof unit?

Thanks

CLIFFORD J
Old 12-16-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
If you have a Trav'ler for DirecTV, then generally you can move your home box to the motorhome, or rent an additional box, provided the connections are the same(HDMI, etc). Early on Winegard made a non-HD model for DirecTV, along with the HD model. Any Trav'ler requires a control, or interface, box in order to operate. It's a black metal box about 2.5x6x6", usually found nearby your receiver. In addition some require a power inserter. If your Trav'ler is not HD, it may not be worth the expense of purchasing a control box vs. upgrading to a new HD system. Depends on your wants. We are part-timers, we just take one out of the house when we travel.

Width of reflector will tell you what service you have. Also on the back side of the LNB will also indicate Dish or DirecTV. See http://www.winegard.com/wp-content/u...s%20Module.pdf

Do NOT EVER tell DirecTV anything about service/equipment in an RV, or you will end up in DTV purgatory and wish you had never been born!!! Just move your box to the RV, or rent another box and call it 'bedroom' or something. DirecTV will not know or care where your box is located, as long as you pay the bill. DirecTV locals are spot-beamed to a relatively small geographic area, maybe 75-100 mile radius. Some RVers every time they relocate will call DirecTV and change their service address, so they can receive nearby locals. To me, that's a PITA, I would just use your batwing for locals.

To help you identify, here are two different Trav'lers I have owned.

The first pic is the older SK-3005 HD Trav'ler. Note the 4 coax cables, running turret to head, and 4 coax outputs in base along with control cable.

The second pic is the newest SWM-3 HD Trav'ler. Single coax running turret to head, and only 3 coax outputs in base along with one control cable(attached).

Sorry I have no info or pics of a Dish Trav'ler.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload...avler_3005.pdf

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452237.pdf

http://www.winegard.com/wp-content/u...s%20Module.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SK-3005.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	114326   Click image for larger version

Name:	SWM-3_3342.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	114327  

Old 12-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
On the roof there is a Weingard Trav'ler antenna with a decal that says D/P Plus.
You probably have the DISH SK-1000 Travler.

You can convert it to a DirecTV SK-3003 by purchasing the RP-SK63 and RP-SK33 kits (about $350) from Winegard.

Note that the SK-3003 is a SD (Standard Definition) dish, not HD.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Hi Don, I have to go back up lay down and look under the dish to see if it says Direct or Dish. It's collapsed right now. I venture to guess it's a 2007 vintage. If it is a Direct TV dish will my home box work with the roof unit?

Thanks

CLIFFORD J
Don't bother lying on your back and writhing all over the place trying to see the lettering on your stowed dish. Take a small mirror with you. Of course, you'll have to be able to read backwards.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #7

Hi, my gosh this information is a fantastic help. I was from no where now I'm some where. :>) I have enough information to move forward in a positive direction. And learning a bunch at the same time. I'm amazed how friendly and helpful folks are in the RV community.

CLIFFORD J
Old 12-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Well I thought I was home free trying to convert my SK1000 to a Direct TV system. The information you folks posted was encouraging, But it all ended when I contacted Winegard Tech support. I told the Tech lady I have a Dish Net SK 1000 and I needed the parts to convert it to Direct TV . Her response was "you can't do it, it won't work", after a verbal struggle I asked her if my alternative was to throw away my SK1000 and buy a new unit, she said I can't tell you to do that.
As I see it I need a DTV reflector, a boom ,lnb, a switch , power incerter box, an interface box, maybe some coax.
From looking at various sites that supply components I believe I can get what is needed. I 'm wondering if I'd have difficulty mounting the reflector and boom to my existing SK1000 base. I'm hoping this will work or am I going to shoot myself in the foot.

CLIFF
Old 12-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I am in the camp that you will spend hours, days, weeks, months trying to "MAKE it work"
AND have less than a good system...

Buy a new system and either install it yourself, or have it installed... youtube has many videos...
and maybe you can find what I did when I returned my poj 5er.... I paid someone $250 to move my wineguard swm onto the motorhome!

then sold the old parts on craigslist
Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
I contacted Winegard Tech support. I told the Tech lady I have a Dish Net SK 1000 and I needed the parts to convert it to Direct TV . Her response was "you can't do it, it won't work"
Look at the 6th FAQ question in this Winegard Document -- it says you can convert a DISH SK-1000 to a DirecTV SK-3003.

Ask for another tech support person. On the other hand, they may no longer have the parts.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, dish