Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Buying a DISH Receiver

Finally decided to make the leap to satellite TV for the RV. I've had both DISH and DirecTV in the S&B at different times; but don't currently have either. Of the two, I remember a slight preference for DISH(don't recall any specifics tho'). Since we're not full-timers, DISH's pay-as-you-go makes sense for us.

I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for purchasing the receiver? Sounds like most are going with the Wally from what I've read here. IIRC, when we were with DISH, we had the 722k. Are there any benefits to the other receivers for an RV'er? Don't really think we need DVR at this time.

The Wally at $119 from dishformyrv.com seems reasonable, but I see refurb's on ebay for ~$80. Would I save myself $40 in aggravation buying straight from DISH?

For an antenna, probably will go with the Winegard Trav'ler, but I like the idea of the serviceability of the RF Mogul unit.

Thanks!
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot View Post
Finally decided to make the leap to satellite TV for the RV. I've had both DISH and DirecTV in the S&B at different times; but don't currently have either. Of the two, I remember a slight preference for DISH(don't recall any specifics tho'). Since we're not full-timers, DISH's pay-as-you-go makes sense for us.

I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for purchasing the receiver? Sounds like most are going with the Wally from what I've read here. IIRC, when we were with DISH, we had the 722k. Are there any benefits to the other receivers for an RV'er? Don't really think we need DVR at this time.

The Wally at $119 from dishformyrv.com seems reasonable, but I see refurb's on ebay for ~$80. Would I save myself $40 in aggravation buying straight from DISH?

For an antenna, probably will go with the Winegard Trav'ler, but I like the idea of the serviceability of the RF Mogul unit.

Thanks!

The Wally will work fine with any antenna you chose. I recommend this source for purchase, they are very reputable and sell the latest version of DISH receivers
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...source=inhouse

As to an antenna I prefer the RF Mogul. Like you said it can be serviced in the field, none of this "ship it back for repair" B*** S***, also they provide excellent customer support with correct answers the first call, unlike Winegard.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The Wally will work fine with any antenna you chose. I recommend this source for purchase, they are very reputable and sell the latest version of DISH receivers
https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...source=inhouse
Thank you for the recommendation! Just ordered the Wally from Solid Signal.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
When you get the Wally, find someone with a 3 LNB antenna like the Trav'ler or a fixed antenna to do the initial setup if you don't have one. The setup process is much easier if it has access to all three satellites at once. It has to do a complete software update before it is usable.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I bought a refurbished dish from dish for my rv and it works great. 250 bucks.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
When you get the Wally, find someone with a 3 LNB antenna like the Trav'ler or a fixed antenna to do the initial setup if you don't have one. The setup process is much easier if it has access to all three satellites at once. It has to do a complete software update before it is usable.

Yes, forgot to mention that, look for a DISH Retailer / Installer advertised in your area. They will update the Wally if it is not already updated when you get it from Solid Signal.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Make sure you buy a current dish. They made changes and the older dish that would work for Direct or dish will no longer work with the newer boxes.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:59 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are a longtime Dish customer. When we hit the road, we take our home VIP222 receiver with us.. Why not, its already paid for and no-one's at home watching it...

We have a tripod antenna, takes about 15 minutes to set it up and aim it.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #9

Your choice of receiver my also depend on how your system is wired. The Wally does not have a coax connection, only HDMI.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dish