Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Cable=?

We are new to RVing and are wondering what is meant when the CG list 'cable' under their amenities. Is it subscription based paid by the RVer or CG? Is it basic cable? Is the definition standard in the CG industry or does each CG set its own definition of 'cable available'?

Or, is the cable so iffy that the RVer should get their own satellite subscription?

Thank you for your insights.

Dirk
DLoy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typically it means basic cable TV services provided without charge. Of course specifics can vary by differing campgrounds.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Cable is potluck. Some places have really good cable that gives good reception and a good selection of channels. Then there is everything in between. I have been to a couple that have Direct TV and route that through their cable system. Even if you try to get your own satellite system the reception can be iffy depending on trees.

As far as paying for the cable I think most of the time it is included in the cost of the site. Sometimes sites with cable cost more just like 50 amp service sites. I am sure some of the snowbird parks offer cable at an extra cost just like metered electric.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've been in several campgrounds where cable was 50 stations including some HD. We were also in one where cable meant 4 usable stations after we added a signal amplifier and the cable was turned off at night so you couldn't watch the news at 7:00am over breakfast.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
For the last couple of years I quit hooking up any RV park cable to see if it would work because I have never found one that did. I'm sure there are locations with great cable, but probably not many. That's why everyone gets their own satellite systems.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
For the last couple of years I quit hooking up any RV park cable to see if it would work because I have never found one that did.
The reason that cable didn't "work" for you may be that the campground had digital cable and your TVs couldn't receive it.

I work at a park with digital cable and you need a TV that has a QAM tuner. Not all TVs -- including brand new TVs -- have QAM tuners.

You can also buy an external QAM tuner like this one from iView.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoy1324 View Post
We are new to RVing and are wondering what is meant when the CG list 'cable' under their amenities. Is it subscription based paid by the RVer or CG? Is it basic cable? Is the definition standard in the CG industry or does each CG set its own definition of 'cable available'?

Or, is the cable so iffy that the RVer should get their own satellite subscription?

Dirk
I have DISH at the house and when I acquired the RV I called and found out that DISH will give you a free subscription for your MH if you buy the 211z receiver. They figure that you can't be home watching TV and in the RV at the same time so it is free.

https://accessories.lazydays.com/pac...mM0aAqv-8P8HAQ

You can get a satellite dish for free if you go to craigslist. They are a dime a dozen. Then just get a satellite finder app and you are in business. Store the dish in the basement and put it out when you park. I have seen several people do this. I personally like the automatic finding dish located on the top of our MH.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
The reason that cable didn't "work" for you may be that the campground had digital cable and your TVs couldn't receive it.

I work at a park with digital cable and you need a TV that has a QAM tuner. Not all TVs -- including brand new TVs -- have QAM tuners.

You can also buy an external QAM tuner like this one from iView.

I wish that was the case because I could easily fix the issue. The reason they didn't work was because of poor systems & connections
Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoy1324 View Post

Dirk
The CG cable amenity is just an antenna service, paid by the CG.

Example:
When you hook up your roof mounted antenna to your TVs, you can select the available channels that the antenna can pick up.
Now, if you rather hook up to the CG connection, you will receive whatever channels the CG has to offer(with other variables that apply).

So, you could get good reception or bad reception, depending on the CG's maintenance of their cable system throughout the CG.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote