Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cable internet

I’m having cable internet installed and trying to determine the best way to bring line into motorhome. We don’t need cable tv so I’d like to connect it to the existing cable port in the basement and use the connection inside the coach which has the antenna boost switch for the router. I think though anytime I want to use the antenna for tv I’d lose my internet? Has anyone used this and is there a way around it? An alternative may be just install the router in the basement but would the WiFi signal be strong enough for good service in the coach?
Dpreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #2

First question is how do you plan on using the cable internet when you move the coach. Obviously carrying a huge spool of coaxial cable isn't an option? If the coach will never be moved then why not just drill a hole from the basement to the inside of a cabinet then route the wire to the router which will or should broadcast WiFi throughout the coach.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Only using it for five months in current location and will be turned off when we leave. Trying not to drill holes and use the current wiring if possible.
Dpreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

I wouldn't use the coax cabling in the RV for the Internet for the reason you mentioned. I would think that the booster is going to interfere with the modem signal. I would just run a Cat5 (or 5E or 6) cable from the modem or router in your house to the coach and have a separate system in the coach. Alternatively you could create a wireless bridge between the two.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpreco View Post
I’m having cable internet installed and trying to determine the best way to bring line into motorhome. We don’t need cable tv so I’d like to connect it to the existing cable port in the basement and use the connection inside the coach which has the antenna boost switch for the router. I think though anytime I want to use the antenna for tv I’d lose my internet? Has anyone used this and is there a way around it? An alternative may be just install the router in the basement but would the WiFi signal be strong enough for good service in the coach?
Here's the irony of the situation ...

This actually may work, but only after the FCC mandated channel repack movements are complete. And all TV stations must operate below RF channel 36 (or between 602-608 MHz), whereas the CATV channels for internet downstream are normally in the higher 600s to 1000 MHz range.

But until then I'm afraid you're stuck needing two separate cable runs for the OTA antenna and cable internet.

As for placing the router in the basement, it will naturally depend on how much the basement is surrounded by metal of course. Normally you would never want to surround any WAP or other RF device in a metal enclosure for obvious reasons. So YMMV there, even in the short distances involved in a MH.
HoTatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

You will need 2 separate cables, or for antenna and cable modem at the same time. It might be easier to put up another tv antenna. Some are designed to work hanging on a wall inside. It just depends on your location relative to the digital TV towers.

A quality router should work from the basement. I have WiFi in my MH (from my house) when it is parked on the street. If you need to 'hard wire' any devices, you are back to drilling holes, or hanging a tv antenna on the wall.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

If I understand what you are up to the cable in the basement goes to the Box Of Many Buttons. One position connects the TV to cable, another to the antenna with the amplifier. If you take the cable to the basement off of the BOMB you can connect it to the cable modem. The cable modem may or may not have a router built in. That depends on the model. That way you will still have the over the air antenna if you want it with the amplifier and the cable modem with it's setup and no new holes. Most cable companies can rent or supply a modem complete with router and WiFi all in one box. Ask them.

double female connector:

https://www.google.com/search?q=F+co...IY53o24cO3NDM:
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilcox View Post

A quality router should work from the basement. I have WiFi in my MH (from my house) when it is parked on the street. If you need to 'hard wire' any devices, you are back to drilling holes, or hanging a tv antenna on the wall.
I think by "basement" the OP is referring to the storage compartment underneath the MH.

Not a basement in a house ...

I once made that same mistake as well until someone else explained the use of the term "basement" in regard to a MH/RV [emoji4]
Old 12-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Actually, all you need to do is disconnect the "Cable In" coax from the back of the splitter/amplifier boost switch and connect your cable modem there. That way it will not interfere with the antenna coax coming in to the splitter. There will be two coax feeds coming in; Antenna and Cable, then one output to the TV system.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Actually, all you need to do is disconnect the "Cable In" coax from the back of the splitter/amplifier boost switch and connect your cable modem there. That way it will not interfere with the antenna coax coming in to the splitter. There will be two coax feeds coming in; Antenna and Cable, then one output to the TV system.
But the OP wants to combine both the internet cable modem signals and OTA RF signals from an outside antenna through the same single coax run from the basement ...

Don't think it can be done, as they will mutually interfere, at least not until after the station repacks are complete ...
Old 12-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #11

We did what Lt Dan said. Disconnected cable feed from outside at the switch near the TV.

OTA channels still go thru the switch/ amplifier, cable signal diverted to modem /wifi box.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #12

They sell a short flat coax that goes through a closed window. Easy to do that and put your router there.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
or just bring the cable thru one of the slides sides - I've done this when I use my WEBOOST - blue tape works well for this so nothing gets scratched
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTatII View Post
But the OP wants to combine both the internet cable modem signals and OTA RF signals from an outside antenna through the same single coax run from the basement ...
Don't think it can be done, as they will mutually interfere, at least not until after the station repacks are complete ...
There is one coax from the roof antenna coming to the amplifier/splitter/cable switch and another coax coming directly from the basement cable input. Disconnecting the one from the basement will not interfere with the one from the roof. He will still have antenna input from the roof coax.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, internet