Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #57

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many email providers out there. All of the ones I use, including Gmail & AOL use HTTPS. Thus the email is encrypted from my computer to their email server. To me one of the biggest dangers of email is what happens to it after the receiptant(s) receives it and any copies that maybe made. How sure are you that the receiptant(s) computers are free of spying software- yea not a clue usually. I still would not worry about email while in transmission if you are using HTTPS. While it is possible to have any Internet session hijacked, these attacks are frequently directed attacks and not just someone fishing for whatever shows up. The big issue is the end point computers/devices and possibly the email provider's server if they are not take all of the proper measures to ensure network and server security.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #58

Encrypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by partskenn View Post
This question has probably been asked before, but I have tried to search for it and failed.
We have been on the road for about a month and a half, and have been using a combination of CG WiFI , and my cellphone hotspot for internet access. Are either of these options secure enough to access our bank accounts, investment accounts, etc.
Some of the sites have the little padlock symbol, some don't. I can't figure out how to require a password to access my mobile hotspot (Verizon, Android phone).
What are my options?
Whatever else you do I recommend you improve your encryption protection. Browse for TRUSTEER & TRUSTEER RAPPORT, AN IBM software operation used by many of the biggest banks and Rapport is free. The Wikipedia description is good.
indybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #59

Internet Security in a Campground

Through Verizon, we have a mifi card with 22 GB/mo. which doesn't allow for streaming. Even short Facebook videos consume a considerable amount of data so we're most grateful when we can access a campground's wifi. HOWEVER, we don't consider public wifi safe so through Island Time in FL, we purchased a booster/amplifier called the Bullet. As long as we can get on line via an open network, we then type the number provided by our unit and a few clicks later, we're on line and SECURE. We also have a marine version of Island Time's product on our trawler. In this crazy and unpredictable society in which we live, being on line and safe/secure is very comforting.
Laura Lane Bender
Monaco Dynasty Motor Coach
Currently in Summerville, SC
laurabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #60

Internet Security in a Campground

Through Verizon, we have a mifi card with 22 GB/mo. which doesn't allow for streaming.As careful as we are about things that gobble data, we still have to watch our use and not exceed the 22 GB which is pretty difficult to achieve. Even short Facebook videos consume a considerable amount of data so we're most grateful when we can access a campground's wifi. HOWEVER, we don't consider public wifi safe so through Island Time in FL, we purchased a booster/amplifier called the Bullet. As long as we can get on line via an open network, we then type the number provided by our unit and a few clicks later, we're on line and SECURE although we're on the campground's network. We also have a marine version of Island Time's product on our trawler. In this crazy and unpredictable society in which we live, being on line and safe/secure is very comforting.

Laura Lane Bender
Monaco Dynasty Motor Coach
Currently in Summerville, SC
laurabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #61

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TRUSTEER RAPPORT is a good product. It runs on both the remote server, such as a bank, and your local computer. To be effective it must be installed on both ends. Some banks using this product encourage their customers to install the client version, while some banks have started requiring its installation. Although the requirement appears to be only for business customers.

It adds layers of security to a user's local computer that does much of what I've stated above posts is needed. Be aware that some new malware will disable TRUSTEER RAPPORT when it finds it installed so it can still do it's devious work. For Mac users, TRUSTEER RAPPORT does not work well with OS X.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Big Mac

That was me awhile back. Working in the WAN arena, still had to support the "family" and their PC's. Because, you know, in the WAN arena, everyone says "oh, you work on computers".
Got tired of it, bought 3 mini-macs for the family, a Macbook and iMac for our house, and eradicated PCs from my house. No more family service calls since. For me, the upfront time to learn a Mac is paid back over and over with time.
Bonus...I've never run any virus software on any of mine. The family either. Like you said, Unix (BSD) under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman View Post
My computer got unknowingly get infected with keylogger malware which logs all your keystrokes; PW; UID, etc. These are not viruses as such and are difficult to detect and in some cases impossible to remove as they reside in root code.
I used Kaspersky Root Killer to get rid of it.
The only other solution was re-install Windows.
Macs run a subset of Unix, which is less prone to this type of malware.
Macs require a password before any non-approved software can be installed.
Just sayin'...
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #63

Internet security

Quote:
Originally Posted by partskenn View Post
We have been on the road for about a month and a half, and have been using a combination of CG WiFI , and my cellphone hotspot for internet access. Are either of these options secure enough to access our bank accounts, investment accounts, etc.
Security is a relative thing, and you have gotten some advice that is conflicting. But, to summarize, security starts from the inside out.

The first layer is you; maintain the physical security of your devices, make sure they are all secured with passwords, make sure those passwords are complex and that they are changed regularly. Use a secure password "wallet" such as aWallet to keep your passwords in so that you don't forget them. Make your passwords actually pass phrases, such as "TheD0g@teMyHomeWork" so that they are easy to remember, but difficult to hack.

Next, maintain your device security by using good anti-malware software. You have gotten very good advice on those, but remember you need multiple programs to assure security. I highly recommend making MalwareBytes one of those layers; there is even a version for phones and tablets.

Some people say use common sense, but there is nothing less common than common sense. Don't respond to emails from people you don't know, or emails from people you do know that you don't expect. Don't follow links in emails that you weren't expecting. Don't go to websites that aren't well-known. And if you do end up someplace sketchy, immediately close your browser and initiate a scan with MalwareBytes!

Finally, be aware of what network you are connecting to. Be certain you are connecting to the *secure* camp wifi, or to your password protected phone/hotspot. You have gotten good advice on how to make sure your phone is password protected. You have also gotten good advice about VPN solutions.

Having done all these things, can you still be hacked? Yes, there is no such thing as perfect security. Be aware of the tools your CC, bank, and investment accounts have for remediating any intrusions that do occur. All financial institutions have ultimate responsibility for the security of your accounts, and have to fix things if there is an intrusion.

And that is pretty much as safe as you can get.
rdeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #64

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most computer users spend their doing web related activities, email, web surfing, etc. An excellent option to operate in a secured environment at very low cost and effort is to use a Chromebook. These are special built computers that basically are not bothered by malware & spyware by design. If you are tired of frequent updates and keeping up with multiple security products you might want to look into this option.

Computer/network security is largely risk management. We all take risks in most things we do every day. Perfect computer/network security is nearly impossible to achieve and becomes ever more expense as you approach the last percentage points. What you need to do is weigh the risks versus the cost/effort. If all you could lose is $500 it makes no sense to spend $600 in protecting it. I'm not all saying to forgo security, quite the opposite but to expend resources in line with what you are could lose.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Security is a relative thing, and you have gotten some advice that is conflicting. But, to summarize, security starts from the inside out.
Pretty much what was stated very early in this thread in the first sentence of post #4!

Reading every post has certainly been educational. It has confirmed for me that most likely there are millions of computer and Internet uses that have no clue when it comes to security for their device and some of them really don't care. They will continue to be blissfully ignorant on computer systems. In fact they have been thrust into an age of technology where computers are now controlling their lives. Soon we will have personal robots in our homes that will make our daily lives hopefully simpler and less chaotic. The robot will be handling daily chores giving us more time to do other duties.

For those that are afraid of using the Internet to purchase products, pay bills or ANY type of banking I would recommend that you buy local, use the post office to bay your bills or pay in person and walk into your bank to do your banking exactly how it was done for many years before the Internet came along in the early 90's.

And heaven forbid.....don't use a credit card, pay cash! In 2015 there was nearly 17 BILLION dollars lost to credit card fraud.

Although I will say the CC fraud is now on the decline due to CC's slowly switching over to EMV chip technology. (EMV = Europay - Mastercard - VISA)

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBarry View Post
I read every post and have confirmed that one is not safe anywhere.
In a sense, yes, in that there is virtually no way to ensure absolute security on the Internet. That's why it's a practical reality to grade your risk and exposure and respond accordingly. It's true that some people are just asking for trouble but if you educate yourself and take reasonable precautions (employ proper virus and malware protection, use a modern browser and pay attention to any warnings, use a secure password methodology, make sure you are connected to the correct network, etc.) then the likelihood of a successful attack in a campground environment is very low. To reduce chances even further you can use a VPN (Private Internet Access is good and is only $40/year) and I think most reasonable experts would consider the above precautions along with a VPN as quite adequate for most users.

As many are quick to point out your risk is not and will never be zero, but the same is true of the real world where your safety can never be absolutely protected as well. You can go to the 'you're never safe!' extreme in both the cyber and real world but if you do you won't get much done. The key to safety in both environments is to be aware of your surroundings, apply reasonable caution, and then live your life (even if that means using the occasional campground wifi )
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by llorenw View Post
In my travels around the US for many years I find that using your email without security is very dangerous.

Loren 35 ft Montana 5th Wheel
Can you explain specifics that brought you to that conclusion? Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #68

I have been using Avast Secure Line. It has a $19.95 cost a year and no matter what hot spot or internet you use, Mi-Fi or even home I keep it connected. Changing passwords often is a must nowadays.
eduyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #69

FWIW I'll toss in two other thoughts.

When we travel I often use a different HD in my laptop loaded with Linux. I don't keep very much personal information on that drive. All I do is browse and read mail. It's easy if you have a computer with an externally accessible drive bay.

When we browse to shop we write down what we want then call the company and purchase over the phone. That gets us the same deal but no credit information moving over the internet.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #70

The LOL lllqp
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground