Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Campground Wi-Fi

Since we are not full timers and since we are not up to date with the technology on the new cell phones, I-pads, etc. We try to use campgrounds that offer Wi-Fi. Most do, but some require that you go to the rec. hall or office because they have a basic system that does not put out a strong enough signal to cover the campground. So we came up with the following and can't wait to try it out in a campground.
We got a Wi-Fi extender antenna for our lap top; about a $40.00 & one time investment. It has a 5db gain antenna & I just ordered a 20db gain replacement antenna. Now we haven't tried it in the motor home as yet, but at home prior to having the antenna I was receiving one Wi-Fi in the neighborhood and had one bar for reception. After I installed the Wi-Fi extender antenna I now receive 6 different Wi-Fi's and all have 3 bars or better for reception.
The real kicker here is that out of the 6, only 1 has a password to access it, the rest are all open.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Please post back with your campground experience. I too would like to have a way to increase wifi reception while camping.
petehami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #3

Wifi Ranger.....
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #4

I'm glad you found a low cost one that works. I have a few in the garage that don't. After spending around $100 on ones that didn't work well I got this one and it's awesome.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

Heartland RV Club
I have a Jeffa tech WIFI repeater on my rig.
I have the antenna mounted on my tv antenna mast, and the WIFI box in the front cabinet ,it lays flat when not in use and easy to raise up . In my house with my laptop I get 2 signals ,when I access the repeater on the RV outside I get about 12 . I sometimes get the Mcdonalds about 1/4 mile away at the Walmart

Wayne

Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
I have a Jeffa tech WIFI repeater on my rig.
I have the antenna mounted on my tv antenna mast, and the WIFI box in the front cabinet ,it lays flat when not in use and easy to raise up . In my house with my laptop I get 2 signals ,when I access the repeater on the RV outside I get about 12 . I sometimes get the Mcdonalds about 1/4 mile away at the Walmart

Wayne

I got the 6' antenna and mounted it on a boat flag pole mount which you can stand it up and lock it and it lays down flat on the roof. I couldn't get mine mounted on the TV antenna, too far away. No matter where I go I can get WiFi. On a recent trip everyone in the CG was complaining about the WiFi. I got a great signal plus I had like 12 other sites that were even stronger. One of the best buys I've made.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm going to get the JEFA set up but have been mulling over whether to get the short antenna or the longer.

Longer means some more thought about mounting but would seem to remove any doubt about reception.

Any thoughts from those who have this set up; does it really make a difference?

Can the longer one be mounted on you crank up TV antenna?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I'm going to get the JEFA set up but have been mulling over whether to get the short antenna or the longer.

Longer means some more thought about mounting but would seem to remove any doubt about reception.

Any thoughts from those who have this set up; does it really make a difference?

I bought the longer one because of the greater distance it gets. The antenna is light so I guess it would work mounted on your TV antenna and I know it doesn't interfere with it. Only once did I have to raise mine to get a good signal. Most of the time it works fine just laying on the roof!

I mounted mine next to the ladder so all I have to do is pick it up and lock the mount. I also used a single tool U shape holder (the ones with the spring to hold tools) to keep the end in place when laying flat.

Here is a link where we all talked about it:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/final...rks-95432.html
Old 09-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post

In a word: YES! To be precise, if a picture is worth 1000 words, then here's 2,000 words...

In travel mode:

In raised mode:

Old 09-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
In a word: YES! To be precise, if a picture is worth 1000 words, then here's 2,000 words...

In travel mode:

In raised mode:

And two more words: Thank you!!!!!
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by petehami View Post
Please post back with your campground experience. I too would like to have a way to increase wifi reception while camping.
We have stayed in over 300 RV parks in the last 8 years. Since 2008, virtually every one has had park wide signal. My only caution is to watch for Tengo Net service.

They are, arguably, the worst provider in the world. Why any park would not just install their own system is beyond me. It isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
We have stayed in over 300 RV parks in the last 8 years. Since 2008, virtually every one has had park wide signal. My only caution is to watch for Tengo Net service.

They are, arguably, the worst provider in the world. Why any park would not just install their own system is beyond me. It isn't rocket surgery or brain science.
You must have the luck of the Irish! I own a software business and when I'm on the road if I don't have good WiFi I'm out of business. I would say 40% of parks I've been in have poor to no park wide service. Some of them the only way to get a signal is to go to the club house or library to hook up and that just won't work for me.

And you are so right about Tengo... They really suck. They take your $$ and then when you can't connect there is no one there to help you and/or if you do get on they cut the bandwidth down to a crawl.

That's why I like the repeater I have. If I can get just a weak signal it will amp it up so it works well. If the park WiFi won't work there is usually another commercial service I can pick up that is not locked. If all that fails I have the Virgin Mobile air card from Wally world that I can pay just $20 a month when I want to to get service where there is none.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
You must have the luck of the Irish! I own a software business and when I'm on the road if I don't have good WiFi I'm out of business. I would say 40% of parks I've been in have poor to no park wide service. Some of them the only way to get a signal is to go to the club house or library to hook up and that just won't work for me.

And you are so right about Tengo... They really suck. They take your $$ and then when you can't connect there is no one there to help you and/or if you do get on they cut the bandwidth down to a crawl.

That's why I like the repeater I have. If I can get just a weak signal it will amp it up so it works well. If the park WiFi won't work there is usually another commercial service I can pick up that is not locked. If all that fails I have the Virgin Mobile air card from Wally world that I can pay just $20 a month when I want to to get service where there is none.
You must be in the east. I have found that many east-of-Mississippi parks are very outmoded, both in wifi but since they are often older, in most other amenities.

I'm not sure what parks you find but I stick with parks rated in RV Park Reviews :: Home. If wifi isn't listed, I don't go. I rarely find one (RV Park) that doesn't have WIFI.

In fact we just got home from our summer heat escape from AZ and during the summer we stayed at 24 different parks. Only one didn't have free WiFi (West Yellowstone. Imagine that) and all had easy, wide area coverage.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what parks you find but I stick with parks rated in RV Park Reviews :: Home. If wifi isn't listed, I don't go. I rarely find one (RV Park) that doesn't have WIFI.
So, based on that what you're saying in the first quote is that you have stayed in over 300 RV parks that advertise wifi - and every one that advertises wifi does indeed have wifi...

Not too surprising, and not really what you implied in the first quote. Taking the first quote at face value we are led to believe that choosing 300 parks at random you have never had an issue with wifi - it's not until the second quote that you qualify that to really say that if you choose a park with wifi you get a park with wifi...

Tags
campground