Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #1

Can Antenna Interfer With Digital Cable?

I am in a CG in the Florida panhandle and cannot connect to their digital cable TV system. They have 70 digital channels and 12 analog channels. When I do a program scan I am only getting the analog channels and they are bad.

The office says that my over the air antenna power booster is interfering. I don't know whether to believe this or not.

My set up is this:

Samsung 40" Smart TV in front and a 32" Vizio in the bedroom.

Magadyne Video Output Switching Center for selecting among antenna, sat and cable inputs.

Winegard Roadstar Omnidirectional TV antenna.

I am having no trouble with the satellite dish or the antenna....or the fuzzy campground analog channels.

Any help would be appreciated.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #2

It is hard to know exactly how you are connected, but relating to my own trailer, the outside cable connection signal should not be passing through your antenna preamp. If it isn't passing through it, then you should be able to turn it off. If it was me, I would get a run of RG6 cable long enough to go from their cable connection box and run it directly to one of your TVs to verify they are giving you good signal. You could even take one of the TV's outside to connect it to shorten the run. Then try your scan for channels. That way you can tell it they are providing you signal or not. If you don't get good signal on a direct run, then you know the problem is theirs. Unfortunately if they are giving you good signal at the box then you will have to start checking your cable and connections. It could be as simple as the cable you are running between their box and your rig. That's the best place to start checking. Good luck!
LDStandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Turn off your OTA preamp. It's the little button and green light on the flat plate with a coax connector in the middle of it.

There is only one coax connection to your TV. Coax comes in from the antenna and the cable connection and is routed via the OTA preamp to your TV. With the amp on, your cable signal will either be really bad or disappear completely.

Your coach may have a number of splitters as well and they can attenuate the cable signal as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OTA antenna can not interfer with cable.. HOWEVER.

The power supply (Often a wall plate with a switch, Light 12 volt outlet and antenna connection) IS ALSO the source (RF or Antenna) Switch. IF the light is ON then ANTENNA is selected.. If the light is OFF then cable is selected.

This is the most common problem with park cable.

Box of many buttons this should not apply.. but again you got to press the PROPER button.

Second most common problem.. IF you are not the original owner ((Or even if you are)) The original owner may have re-tasked the park cable line for SAT TV.. in which case it's disconnected from the aforementioned switch. Restore factory wiring and it should work.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #5

I've had two different campers here in the same park with me that have had the same problem. Once the booster switch was turned off, cable television became crystal clear. Since my motor home has three different cables, one each for OTA, satellite, and cable, my OTA booster has never been a problem.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

My research here and in other forums indicates that this is becoming a more common problem now that many CG's are getting digital cable tv.

Here is my work around...I am going to Walmart and buy a $99 Element 19" tv. Then next time this happens I will run a coax directly from the CG plug through the window to the Element which is sitting in the middle of the floor in the coach.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
I've had two different campers here in the same park with me that have had the same problem. Once the booster switch was turned off, cable television became crystal clear. Since my motor home has three different cables, one each for OTA, satellite, and cable, my OTA booster has never been a problem.

That is called WORKING AS DESIGNED.. The Booster switch as you call it is actually the "Input Select Switch"

Turning it ON selects the antenna as the source
Turning it OFF selects CABLE as the source.

It is an A/B switch...

It also turns off power to the booster (Which is in the antenna) But that is because when cable is selected, You do not NEED the booster. You only need it when ANTENNA is selected.

But the primary function of that switch is selecting the RF source, Antenna or cable.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

So true, wa8. I tried all the switches in all possible combinations with no joy.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
So true, wa8. I tried all the switches in all possible combinations with no joy.
I have been in CGs where the signal level was too low. Even a direct connection to the back of the TV did not work. When i got home the system worked fine from my house connection.

I have since purchased a signal booster for use as needed.
Regards,

Dan
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
When I do a program scan I am only getting the analog channels and they are bad.
Do your TVs have QAM ("digital") tuners?

Your TVs should have a auto program screen like this:
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #11

TechWriter...I have not seen that screen on my 2015 Samsung 40" Smart TV.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
...I am going to Walmart and buy a $99 Element 19" tv. Then next time this happens I will run a coax directly from the CG plug through the window to the Element which is sitting in the middle of the floor in the coach.
Since there is no requirement for a TV to have a QAM tuner, there's a good chance that your cheap Element (or Apex, Dynex, Haier, Seiki, or Sylvania) TV won't have a QAM tuner.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #13

How can you tell if it has one before you buy it?

I the cheap ones don't have QAM I guess that I'll have to spend more. Same question, tho, how do you tell before you get to the checkout counter? Would it be on the box?

Google search sorta answers my question above.

The majority of the following manufacturers televisions come equipped with a QAM tuner: Sharp, Sony, Polaroid, Toshiba, Emerson, Hitachi, LG, Samsung, Visio, Insignia and TCL.

The following are known to produce televisions that do not come equipped with a QAM tuner: Seiki, Element, Sceptre, HiSense, Proscan, RCA.

I also saw some sticks that one would add QAM to a non such equipped TV.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
How can you tell if it has one before you buy it?
See this thread.

Tags
antenna