Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Can dinosaurs use smartphones?

I know you're not gonna believe this, but we have never had a smartphone! We still have the old flip phones that just talk, they don't send text, access the internet, or any of that "smart" stuff! I bet you guys didn't know you could actually "talk" on a phone!

Our kids are constantly hounding us to get smartphones! I know that when we're traveling it might be nice to find out where the nearest Hardees restaurant is for some gravy & biscuits, or maybe send pics to FB or directly to the kids. Anyway, they got us to "thunking" about it.

We are using C-Spire right now on the phones, and the Verizon MiFi unit in the MH for internet access. I have talked with C-Spire and Verizon, and it seems our best deal would be with Verizon. Both showed me the I-Phone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy 3 and 4. For the cost savings on the phones I am thinking that the Galaxy 3 would do everything we want to do at a LOT less money!

We would appreciate your advice to these old dinosaurs!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure you can, but the problem I have is the fonts are way too small for me to read comfortably even with my reading glasses.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #3

I'm not sure what you are referring to as dinosaurs, the phones, or yourselves. If it's the phones I'd say go with the newest available for the added benefits, if it's yourselves, this dinosaur, at age 72, have no problems with the smart phones, with the exception of having few people that I need, or even want to keep in contact with, but the other uses may keep the gray matter pliable. Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #4

Old Dinosaurs :>) I felt like you do. I finally bought a new "do it all phone". Mistake I made right off was, I did not check to see if my carrier had coverage in my home area. Found out quick they did not. Now I have $299.00 brick in my hands. Morale of the story is be sure you get one with nationwide coverage. I am back with my trusty ole flip phone talk and text only. One of my grand kids is going to get a gift.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #5

My mother (age 83) just got an iPhone and even though she claims to want to "toss it in the yard", she really loves Siri. She will be out on the deck and you can hear her telling it to "Call Bonnie". The only problem is that she talks on it so much that it runs the battery down. You are never too old to learn technology.
stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #6

We checked out smart phones a few months ago and decided they didn't give us many or any features we didn't already have except more portability. They still use the same cell towers so if you can't get reception on your current phone you can't get it with a smart phone. By the time you have the text or picture large enough to see you have to scroll it across the screen.

As for taking pictures, texting, e-mail internet access, etc they're all currently available either on your phone, tablet, or laptop. To me it's nothing more than a duplicate of all services currently available, just in a slightly smaller (and somewhat less user friendly) package. Also keep in mind that the smart phone rates are usually close to double the monthly price of of dumb phones
Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, and no.

I bought my DW a Samsung Galaxy 4 for her birthday 4 months ago and she still doesn't know how to use most of it. She hands it to me whenever she wants something changed.

If you're comfortable with a computer or tablet you won't have problems. If you're computer phobic you will. It's not so much a phone as a handheld computer with phone apps installed.

I like the power & speed of the S-4 but the iPhone has a cleaner user interface. Maybe once one deletes 80% of the pre-installed junk on the Samsung it would be better.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

Hey Joe,
Just last month or so, we went from "dumb" phones (flip) to "smart" phones. We waited till our contract with at&t got us them for free. Of course you need to add a "data" plan, but after using a T-Mobile hot spot at work and our travels, the cost is really not much more. I've always built our home computers, his and hers, but it's a new thing learning these phones. We got Samsung Galaxy S3 I think,,,, good reviews, does everything we need (plus a lot more) .. Heck I found the "driving mode" we both use now, so an incoming call or message says "Incoming call from *****" You don't even have to look to see who's calling,, (or messaging) . Pretty neat. And yes, we've only been "texting" for a few months... Imagine that. And of course we can store away the Tmobile thing because these can be used as a mobile hot spot for my laptop. (No Way are my eyes good enough for a phone screen !) So far, we both like the S3.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are on our second smart phones. I resisted for a while but when DW got one I figured I might as well get one also. I have to say I don't know how I ever got along without one. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, She has an HTC Rezound.

We use them for a lot of stuff, even grocery lists. When I find we need something for groceries or even the hardware store it goes right in the phone. I even use the voice recognition since it is way faster than my fat thumbs typing. Besides if you want to communicate with most young people you will need to learn to text.

We also have an app, Easy Tether Pro ($10 one time) that allows us connect them to our laptops for internet on them anywhere. Data charges apply on mine but DW still has unlimited. Nice to have when we are in a CG that has no wifi.

I think they all come with a navigation app so you won't need a GPS. I use mine even on routes we have driven many times because it tells me how far and how long a drive is left.

Sure there is a learning curve. It may be frustrating at first but I bet after you get used to a smart phone you will love it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it is really nice to have a pretty good camera and video recorder with you at all times.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your comments everyone! We are probably gonna just get one for the DW right now. I don't want to fool with one on my belt and they're just too big for me to carry in my pocket. She can keep one in her purse for when we need it, and I'll continue to use my dumb phone!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
We just turned off our 2005 motorola razr flip phones and bought the Galaxy S3 via ATT and Costco. The discontinued S3 was $20.

The phones after two years should still be worth $150 each if we do not want them.

We now have two GPS machines that we carry with us all the time. We seldom use the broadband GPS which consumes data. Instead we use Sygic, which installs the maps on our phones. We have lots of memory left and have not installed the 64GB sd card that the phone will accept.

The screen is 5" and equal to the Garmin GPS size we were going to purchase for $175.

We are paying $20 per month for 300 MB of data for each phone. Most of the time we are on WIFI and so have not approached using all that data on either phone in a single month. The phone defaults to WIFI vs Mobile Data automatically.

The camera and video are as good as our best standalone camera. It is more compact and always with with us when away from home.

We primarily use Email and I use Firefox as my internet browser on the phone.

We did not pay for text messaging. So far with 5 grandkids all with their own phones we have yet to exceed the monthly cost for texting with our per use charges. There was a flurry of texts at first, then they all got back to texting with their contemporaries, not us.

There is a learning curve, but these things are a complete computer in your pocket. Apps are generally free from the Play Store and there is at least one for everybody.

We resisted for a long time. The phones were not a necessity but we decided see what the fuss was all about.

Several "older" friends who are in their 70's saw DW's phone and pictures and quickly bought one for themselves. All are having fun.

In retrospect, we are glad we bought Android, S3 which are fully featured but antiquated, and caught up somewhat with the GK group. Of course they are all I-phone users.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Switching carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
Old Dinosaurs :>) I felt like you do. I finally bought a new "do it all phone". Mistake I made right off was, I did not check to see if my carrier had coverage in my home area. Found out quick they did not. Now I have $299.00 brick in my hands. Morale of the story is be sure you get one with nationwide coverage. I am back with my trusty ole flip phone talk and text only. One of my grand kids is going to get a gift.
Take it to whatever carrier has coverage in your area and they can probably set it up for you. It might cost you the price of a new SIM card.

Good luck!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I know you're not gonna believe this, but we have never had a smartphone! We still have the old flip phones that just talk, they don't send text, access the internet, or any of that "smart" stuff! I bet you guys didn't know you could actually "talk" on a phone!
That's all our phones do to and still have the flip phones too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #14

I have the samsung note 2 and would highly recommend it. It has a huge screen and is easy to use. The I phones are nice however a lot of "apps" that are free for my phone you have to buy for the I phone. Whatever phone you choose DO NOT Get it from Verizon. Go to Best Buy and get your phones there. You get the same phone for less money and you can buy a warranty that covers everything for a few dollars a month. The money I saved on my phone bought me a 2 year warranty.
Brian313 is offline   Reply With Quote