Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
We are giving up a DirecTV DVR which we currently play on three of the 4 TVs on the rig. It works great. Plug and play.

Is there a DISH option that will mimic that?
First, Hoppers & Joeys work together. For example, for 3 TVs you would need a Hopper and two Joeys. The Hopper would be connected to one TV (typically the front) and the other two TVs would each be connected to Joeys.

Second, Hoppers & Wallys don't work together. If you want to ONLY use Wallys, then you could hook up to 3 Wallys to your DISH Travler, but a Hopper is FAR superior.

A Hopper 3 (the latest) is a 16-tuner DVR with a 2TB hard drive. With a Hopper, you can set up automatic recordings and also use 1 of the 16 tuners to enable PTAT (Prime Time Any Time). PTAT records all CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX HD programs in Prime Time every day of the week. Not bad for 1 tuner, eh?

Also, you can use a Joey to play back shows recorded a a Hopper's DVR or schedule others to record.

I believe DISH requires that they install a Hopper/Joey system. That may have changed. If your dealer can't help, contact a local sat TV installer, not DISH. DISH doesn't "get" RVs and will try to talk you into getting a Wally, or even worse, tell you that you cannot use a Hopper in an RV . . . which is not so. There's plenty of DISH RVers using Hoppers.

Here's a diagram for a Hopper 3 & two Joey setup:

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #16

I have a Hopper 3 paired with a wired Joey 3 in my S&B. I bought a Wally just for the motorhome. It cost me an extra $7 a month when I have it activated. When I am not traveling I deactivate it. I also have an external hard drive and Dish's OTA dual tuner adapter which gives me the capabilities of recording four shows at a time.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #17

TechWriter, thank you for the diagram! The way the rig is wired for DirecTV, I think we need to convert the dish, get the Hopper 3 and Joeys and proper switches. The mass of wires has splitters for DirecTV so we might be good if we just get the right equipment.

I believe that there are installers locally; the dealer sells Entegras also and many of them have DISH.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for your help and time!
Old 08-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #18

Update:

Today I installed the new LNB arm thingy and reflector dish for DISH...I am glad I used Winegard because I was on the phone with them asking for help. I didn't believe the round screws would go in those square holes and hold the arm on.

They did.

Now: We got it programmed to go up and down. It stored/stowed.

How or where do I purchase a Hopper? I went to Camping World (don't shoot me, they were 20 minutes from the dealer/storage facility) and my DH insisted that we get a Wally to prove this will work and give us a picture on a TV. We have not opened it and are still trying to determine if this is the right thing to do. I looked over DISH's site and they have so many options, including wireless Joey's it's crazy!

So far that is all we have. We know we need to remove the splitter for DirecTV from the interior along with the box on the wall that says "Power to SWIM" and "Signal to IRD"; Winegard agreed. They just couldn't tell me what splitters I needed. After looking over TechWriters pages, I believe I need:

1) AB Switch
2) Dish Pro Power Inserter DHP 42: https://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Switch...tronics&sr=1-1

We currently have 1 Wally. We have 3 TVs we would like to get hooked up. I just want to do it right; once if possible.

I just can't figure out where to purchase a Hopper. Google hasn't been a help. Anyone?
Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
We currently have 1 Wally. We have 3 TVs we would like to get hooked up. I just want to do it right; once if possible.

I just can't figure out where to purchase a Hopper. Google hasn't been a help. Anyone?
Since you already have a Wally, I suggest you get it working in your RV before you buy anything else. Remember you can't have a Wally and Hopper on the same dish.

For DISH equipment, I suggest DISH Depot.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Update:

Today I installed the new LNB arm thingy and reflector dish for DISH...I am glad I used Winegard because I was on the phone with them asking for help. I didn't believe the round screws would go in those square holes and hold the arm on.

They did.

Now: We got it programmed to go up and down. It stored/stowed.

How or where do I purchase a Hopper? I went to Camping World (don't shoot me, they were 20 minutes from the dealer/storage facility) and my DH insisted that we get a Wally to prove this will work and give us a picture on a TV. We have not opened it and are still trying to determine if this is the right thing to do. I looked over DISH's site and they have so many options, including wireless Joey's it's crazy!

So far that is all we have. We know we need to remove the splitter for DirecTV from the interior along with the box on the wall that says "Power to SWIM" and "Signal to IRD"; Winegard agreed. They just couldn't tell me what splitters I needed. After looking over TechWriters pages, I believe I need:

1) AB Switch
2) Dish Pro Power Inserter DHP 42: https://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Switch...tronics&sr=1-1

You will not need a DPH42 for my Wally and I can watch the same channel on 3 TV's. But you will for the Hopper 3. As TechWriter pointed out you cannot have a Wally and a Hopper together.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #21

Thanks TechWriter!

We got in touch with Dish Depot; spoke with Mark there and he suggested what to purchase based upon our setup, the pics I sent him of our interior wires and current splitters and exterior wires.

We will pickup tomorrow and attempt to make it all work.

Our dealer, who got the DirecTV setup working (took 5 weeks), has offered to help as we do this in their parking lot. We're going to try on our own so we know WTH we are doing in the future.

I will let you all know how it all goes. I'm a noob at all this and am trying to do it on my own; your help has been priceless.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #22

Ok, so, we ordered and got a Hopper 3, DHP and 2 Joeys. We ordered from Dish Depot and picked up locally in Atlanta.

Then we tried to install. 😱

Yesterday we installed the Weingard "arm" and dish to turn the Traveler from DirecTV to DiSH. We called Winegard and got the satellite working.

We then went and picked up our Hopper3 and 2 Joeys. We just want to get the Hopper working and start there.

We ordered a Hopper3 and 2 Joeys. They came with zero instructions. We plugged stuff in and tried to make them work. We looked all over google for step-by-step instructions.

We ordered a DPH42 switch and another switch we were told we needed from Dish Depot. Zero instructions. I guessed it went inside the motor home, in the area where all the other inputs are.

WRONG!

Bottom line: we couldn't make it work, line up, hook up, work FOR ANYTHING!

We called Mark at Disk Depot and he tried to walk us through the "change from Direct to Disk" BUT he's NEVER seen it.

OK. We just spent 3 hours in 95 degrees with 30 amp for NOTHING!!!

I called Mark back and he said we needed to put the DPH 42on the roof of the MH. I cannot find one YouTube picture or video to show how. It's impossible with the inputs/outputs on the base Travler unit we have. Which is the same everyone has.

I have pics, before and after of all of our inputs"

I just need help, detailed pictures step by step how tos to finish this.

Can anyone show us their Direct to Dish conversion (roof inputs are crucial),and the inputs where the cable comes (the inputs photos of that) would be great!

We are simply unable to correlate how the DirecTv input cables go to the DISH Splitters. Plus, the DPH 42splitter, we were told, should be on the RV roof. 😱😱😱

Please help before I pay $150 per hour for them to hook it up.....🤯
Old 08-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Ok, so, we ordered and got a Hopper 3, DHP and 2 Joeys. We ordered from Dish Depot and picked up locally in Atlanta.

Then we tried to install. 😱

Yesterday we installed the Weingard "arm" and dish to turn the Traveler from DirecTV to DiSH. We called Winegard and got the satellite working.

We then went and picked up our Hopper3 and 2 Joeys. We just want to get the Hopper working and start there.

We ordered a Hopper3 and 2 Joeys. They came with zero instructions. We plugged stuff in and tried to make them work. We looked all over google for step-by-step instructions.

We ordered a DPH42 switch and another switch we were told we needed from Dish Depot. Zero instructions. I guessed it went inside the motor home, in the area where all the other inputs are.

WRONG!

Bottom line: we couldn't make it work, line up, hook up, work FOR ANYTHING!

We called Mark at Disk Depot and he tried to walk us through the "change from Direct to Disk" BUT he's NEVER seen it.

OK. We just spent 3 hours in 95 degrees with 30 amp for NOTHING!!!

I called Mark back and he said we needed to put the DPH 42on the roof of the MH. I cannot find one YouTube picture or video to show how. It's impossible with the inputs/outputs on the base Travler unit we have. Which is the same everyone has.

I have pics, before and after of all of our inputs"

I just need help, detailed pictures step by step how tos to finish this.

Can anyone show us their Direct to Dish conversion (roof inputs are crucial),and the inputs where the cable comes (the inputs photos of that) would be great!

We are simply unable to correlate how the DirecTv input cables go to the DISH Splitters. Plus, the DPH 42splitter, we were told, should be on the RV roof. 😱😱😱

Please help before I pay $150 per hour for them to hook it up.....🤯
Look at this.

https://outsideourbubble.com/make-yo...-3-compatible/
Old 08-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #24

Se post #15 above from Techwriter with detailed drawings on how to make all the connections. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:38 AM   #25

Ruebenray, that video is exactly what I was looking for!!

Thank you!

I was up on the roof fooling around with it and got so close!

Back to the storage!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Ruebenray, that video is exactly what I was looking for!!

Thank you!

I was up on the roof fooling around with it and got so close!

Back to the storage!

Did you get it working?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #27

Victory!

It took a couple of visits to the rig in storage and numerous trips up and down the ladder, however, I did it!

Getting the video of Outside our Bubble was key. We could not figure out where, in the rig the DPH, switch went. Seeing that it went outside, where it went, made sense. Finally. That video, by Outside our Bubble, was critical.

We went back yesterday, got back out on top and hooked it up like the picture below. The DPH switch must be attached to the roof; NO Instructions say that the switch stays on the roof of the RV. I'm not smart enough to figure that out (neither is DH) and we really needed explicit instructions to show us.

Once we got that on the roof the Hopper inside went to work. We did have to have it hooked up to the Internet and luckily had our Mobley device with us. (We tried a phone hotspot at first and it wouldn't work.)

We do not need the Two Joeys the way our rig is wired. Somehow, the TV above the windshield is wired to the main TV in the living room. They mirror each other while on satellite. The TV outside is somehow wired the same! We tried to find a way to wire the Joey up and gave up. Then we turned that outside TV on and Voila! It was hooked up to Satellite! Either Newmar or NIRVC had wired it to the main TV.

TL;DR: it works!!

I did Dicor the heck out of it and will have to find shorter cables for the roof; those were the only thing I could find short notice-3 ft is too long. I taped them down as a temporary measure until the short cables come in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B125E4F8-F576-4FA4-A8E8-D477397B2939.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	256733  
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Getting the video of Outside our Bubble was key. We could not figure out where, in the rig the DPH, switch went. Seeing that it went outside, where it went, made sense. Finally. That video, by Outside our Bubble, was critical.
Actually a bad idea unless you shield it from the sun in some way.

Tags
directv, dish