Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you recommend a $20/month cell phone plan, please ?

I only use our Samsung Gusto 3 flip with Verizon 2 GB plan..... about 1x a week. $57 a month, phone paid off.

Tello is $10-$15 month, but Sprint in our Grants Pass, OR area is good, but not great.

We travel to Bend, OR, 2x a year and to SF Bay Area, 2x a year.

Any help is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

Scooter-

We spend about $20 per month per phone with Tracfone, a prepaid service.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not me. Tried one for late DW and found it didn't serve much but I-5 corridor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #4

Check out Consumer Cellular. With AARP I pay less than $20 per month for voice and maybe text (never use it). They use AT&T towers.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not me. Tried one for late DW and found it didn't serve much but I-5 corridor.
Tracfone? That's strange, we've been using Tracfone prepaid for years and didn't have a problem anywhere we went across the US until last year when I got a "smart" version that didn't work in WV because the technology wasn't compatible with the towers there. The old TracFone worked fine there for years. We were there for several months and I had to buy an AT&T from Walmart to communicate. I guess it wasn't very smart after all, or at least one of us wasn't ???

They do work better along interstates because I think there are more towers there.

I would always get somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 minutes for around $90.00 (eBay) each year. They were good for one year and incorporated any minutes from the previous year. That would usually last us for the next year when only used for travel. If it didn't, I would just buy more minutes. We use a land line at home (Phoenix, OR).

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

We have a Verizon plan on our iPhone, but picked up a nice LG rebel smart phone on QVC for $65 complete! Came with 1500 minutes, 1500 texts, and maybe 2 GB, complete with service for a year. Can keep old phone # and just get another newer one after a year. Can't beat it.
lisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #7

Trying Mint Mobile this year for the first time. Activating the plan in late December so can't provide any comments on service at this point. Maybe someone else can. The plan inclides 3 months of Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text, 5GB 4G LTE per month, 3-in-1 SIM card Kit. The Christmas sale is on presently which gives you the 3 months for $20. Normally it is $20 per month.
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have Comcast/Xfinity internet at home? If you do, check out Xfinity Mobile.

Cheapest plan of anybody's, that I can see. You virtually pay nothing ($5?) for unlimited talk and text, and just $12/mo for every gig of data you use.

If you don't use data, or not much, its a fabulous plan. I believe its on ATT towers, since I see them selling Iphones for use with their plan. Xfinity Mobile.

I use Straight Talk, another no contract deal with WallyWorld. You can get either ATT or Verizon coverage, depending on whether you use a CMDA (Verizon)or a GSM (ATT) phone.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #9

We use Verizon for our main smart phone. We have a Walmart Tracfone for back up when we are not together which for $20 gives you 90 days and 60 minutes. Then we use promotion codes to get an additional free up to 120 minutes added.
https://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.co...omo-codes.html
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I saw this mentioned on a different forum, I have zero experience with them so YMMV.

They say https://totalwireless.com/ is owned by TracPhone

You can bring a Verizon phone or a unlocked CDMA phone. Rates start $23.70.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

total wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I saw this mentioned on a different forum, I have zero experience with them so YMMV.

They say https://totalwireless.com/ is owned by TracPhone

You can bring a Verizon phone or a unlocked CDMA phone. Rates start $23.70.
Total wireless is what I use.I buy 1 gig of data for $10.00 and it rolls over if not used.Must be on auto pay plan but worth it to me.
$25.78 total per month and I buy data when needed.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
~ $9 a month!

I carry a flip phone, so I can find the DW in the store. She has a smartphone for the big tasks. My prepaid plan with AT&T costs $100 a year + taxes. $25 deposit a quarter and billed @ 10 cents a minute (I don't use much) have ~ $90 credit. Works for me! YMMV.

with taxes $111.86 /year
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
~ $9 a month!

I carry a flip phone, so I can find the DW in the store. She has a smartphone for the big tasks. My prepaid plan with AT&T costs $100 a year + taxes. $25 deposit a quarter and billed @ 10 cents a minute (I don't use much) have ~ $90 credit. Works for me! YMMV.

with taxes $111.86 /year
I used one of those until they screwed me twice. The first year you carry over a large balance they notify you when you are due for renewal. The second year they don't but they keep the money. I'd rather pay Consumer Cellular less than $20/mo and not get screwed by AT&T directly.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never a problem with the AT&T prepaid plan. I'm set up for auto pay on credit card and get a 2% reward. Service since Dec 2014.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote