Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
cannot get satellite to work

Just purchased a portable tripod satellite for our 96 winnie minnie rv'. Hooked it up triple checked all setting still nothing. Ran cable to input on rv, multi switch on aux. Multi switch as TV, TV2, VCR, AUX no SAT position so I use aux. The switch for the rv antenna is turned off. This is for directv service, no HD for mh. Got elv, alz from directv web page, pod is level all the way around. Hopefully, I have provided enough information to help you diagnose the problem (s).
workinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You may want to try the TV or TV2 connection. Aux may not support TV...just a random thought, since we don't have the tripod system.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Did you use the receiver or a meter to 'point' the dish? You are trying to locate an object the size of a school bus 23,000 miles in space with an antenna the size of a can lid. Aux input on your system would be the outputs of your satellite receiver I'm thinking. Antenna has to be connected direct to receiver.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried connecting the direct TV receiver directly to the TV?

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

I do like Ron & Dee suggest. I connect cable direct to tv input, find the sattelite and once I have a good signal, I then move the cables until I have the system working as it should. I can never remember which cable goes where as I have the dome on the roof and rarely have to use the dish on the tripod, Takes a little patience and perseverance to first find the sattelite but soon becomes much easier. Good luck
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you using the Portable Satellite connection? If so, that should go into your satellite receiver. The RF Ch3/4 output from the satellite receiver should go to the AUX input on the Video Switch. The TV should then be tuned to Ch3 or 4 (which ever you set the satellite receiver to) and the Video Switch should be set to TV1 AUX position.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Just a point of interest:
I just replaced the switch box that looks new but good luck in the switches making
good contact.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

What dish?
What receiver?
SWM or non-SWM?
SD or HD?
Did you use "Park" cable In? Any splitters will mess up direcTV.
Is the TV antenna Amp Off? If on will mess up DirecTV.
Are you using a Sat meter?
DirecTV should have a dedicated cable to the receiver and another to TV.
All kinds of gotchas emerge if you try using the RV's wiring unless you have a schematic and they followed it.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #9

We discovered that our 1998 Winnebago has RG-5 coax installed. Once we ran a separate line using RG-6 coax the dish system worked. There is a chance your 1996 Winnie has RG-5 coax also.

Art
wanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanart View Post
We discovered that our 1998 Winnebago has RG-5 coax installed. Once we ran a separate line using RG-6 coax the dish system worked. There is a chance your 1996 Winnie has RG-5 coax also.

Art
That would be RG59 coax. My 2003 Adventurer also has RG59. I installed diplexers at each end and the sat dish works fine over the Sat side of the diplexer.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid
What dish?
What receiver?
SWM or non-SWM?
SD or HD?
Did you use "Park" cable In? Any splitters will mess up direcTV.
Is the TV antenna Amp Off? If on will mess up DirecTV.
Are you using a Sat meter?
DirecTV should have a dedicated cable to the receiver and another to TV.
All kinds of gotchas emerge if you try using the RV's wiring unless you have a schematic and they followed it.
Thank you all for responding, I never even thought about hooking sat directly to the TV to ensure I have the correct setting and the signal is producing channels with a high quality picture. Living where I live my stick house has the sat on the roof to get the signal due to mountains in the site of sat. Can't try sat till I drive 50 miles south. When I do I will let you all know the results from trying the sat with all your help.
Dish is the 18" round, receiver is D12-500, no idea what swm is, SD, park? Ant amp off, sat meter
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley

That would be RG59 coax. My 2003 Adventurer also has RG59. I installed diplexers at each end and the sat dish works fine over the Sat side of the diplexer.
What is the cost of the diplexer, I have read they are exspensive
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinwood View Post
Thank you all for responding, I never even thought about hooking sat directly to the TV to ensure I have the correct setting and the signal is producing channels with a high quality picture. Living where I live my stick house has the sat on the roof to get the signal due to mountains in the site of sat. Can't try sat till I drive 50 miles south. When I do I will let you all know the results from trying the sat with all your help.
Dish is the 18" round, receiver is D12-500, no idea what swm is, SD, park? Ant amp off, sat meter
To troubleshoot "half" your problem, run your house dish line to the RV. If that works, you'll know everything on the RV side of the equation works. For the road, I would duplicate the the house install, round or Slimline dish, SL3 or SL5, SWM (including the 21v Power Inserter) or non-SWM, and BBC's or not.

D12 seems to be an SD receiver dish so 18" round dish will work.

D12 is NOT SWM so no PI or BBC required.

Park In is the RV parks cable TV input. It may be "split" which may block a Sat signal.

RV TV antennas have an inline amplifier. Can interfere with Sat signal.

"Meter" is a $5 to $800 gizmo to allow you to align your dish while outside without have to use the one built into the box. Will also allow you to assure the other half, dish to RV, is working too.

If you have RG-59, it can be a problem. Why anyone would use it, beats me. It has a flimsy center wire. RG-6 is pretty stiff.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #14

I've not used sat in an rv but the previous owners of each of the rv's I've owned ran a separate coax from the dish to the receiver and then connected the output of the receiver to either the TV or rv wiring. Each unit did have an external connection for cable which did not work for the sat as it goes through splitters and the antenna booster.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote