Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

Can't Get Local OTA Channels Without Hooking Up Dish Tailgater?

I realize that in order to get local OTA channels when traveling, Dish has you go to the Menu and scan for local OTC channels. But my problem is, I don't want to set up the tailgater when in a city with 50 digital OTA channels are available. What I have resorted to doing is disconnecting the antenna feed from my Dish receiver and going directly into the ANT In on my TV which is a PITA.

So, yes, I have my roof Ant into to the ANT IN on the back of my receiver and an HDMI cable to my TV. However as I mentioned above, the only time I can get local OTA channels is to:

Place Tailgater outside
Point Tailgater South and receive Dish SAT programming fine
Go to Menu and select scan for local OTA channels
Local channels are scanned and a list is then displayed on the Dish Menu Local Channel List.

Do you have to set up the Tailgater, etc just to get local OTA channels or can I simply just hook up the Tailgater to the receiver without going through the SAT acquisition process?

Thx for any help on this!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarat View Post
I realize that in order to get local OTA channels when traveling, Dish has you go to the Menu and scan for local OTC channels. But my problem is, I don't want to set up the tailgater when in a city with 50 digital OTA channels are available. What I have resorted to doing is disconnecting the antenna feed from my Dish receiver and going directly into the ANT In on my TV which is a PITA.
bajarat
I get OTA, (Over The Air), television station broadcasts via my roof top TV antenna.
If/when "correctly connected" to the Dish receiver and then to the TV set... the Tailgater has nothing to do with OTA TV reception.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 11-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

You removed the OTA antenna from your dish receiver. That halts getting any OTA Reception via the Dish receiver.
What you could do is put in a DC passthrough splitter and connect the OTA antenna to both devices to accomplish what you want to do.
Home depot has them. Make sure they say DC passthrough on both legs on the label.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

Our sat, direct tv, is on one hdmi, the dvd player is on another hdmi, and the ota antennae is on a coax. All going into the back of the tv. Using the remote, you choose which input.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 11-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For local OTA you must
1: connect your OTA antenna to the DISH receiver (My #1 guess) I would use the lead marked "TO VCR" to do that, then choose ANT for the VCR on your box of buttons.

2: you must Activate the antenna (Turn it on) Power switch on the box of buttons or the switch on a wall plate.

3: Raise the antenna

4: AIM

To Aim, I recommend an upgrade or two to the antenna.
Upgrade 1: if you do not already have it is the wingman (This assumes you have a "Batwing" Winegard sensar II or III.

Upgrade 2 is the Sensar Pro module (Goes indoors) this makes aiming much easier.

If you need install instrucitons, tell me if you have a wall plate or a box of buttons. (it makes a difference) (NOTE: job is easier if you have a box of buttons or rather results are better)

Instructions on request.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We don't use the OTA antenna for local stations. We just call Dish Mobile Support and give them our Zip Code. Within 20 minutes we have all the locals via satellite.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
We don't use the OTA antenna for local stations. We just call Dish Mobile Support and give them our Zip Code. Within 20 minutes we have all the locals via satellite.
bdickson
Calling Dish Mobile Support and giving them the zip code of each different place you stop MAY be worth the hassle...but only if you're satisfied with ONLY SOME of the local channels!
Since Dish seldom offers "all the locals" in an area.....to get all the local channels, (on the TV in your RV), in many (most?) places you have to use an OTA antenna.

Using your OTA antenna is "hassle free" and usually yields more channels...AND you don't need to know the zip code of your stop, (which is especially nice while traveling)... PLUS NO phone call is necessary.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

I think, to get the channel guide, the sat needs to be hooked up. I don't think the receiver understands you don't want to hook up the sat. Just my thoughts.

Brandi

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

I don't know what the tailgator has to do with local channels. We use both depending where we are. I do have to raise the antenna, set the TV to ANT, go to menu and scan local stations and adjust antenna for best reception. Done! Good to make sure the ANT booster is on.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In my 14 year old MH, I got rid of the "BOMB" and disconnected the amplifier. I did this because the cable connection to my 18 month old Vizio broke. Instead of repairing the TV I bought a tuner with a PVR for $35. I get many more stations than I did last year on the road, and I can record some OTA stuff on a flash drive I plug into it. Right now I'm in Tucson getting 32 stations. Couldn't do that last year.

I have a tailgater, and many times just stopping for the night you don't want to pull it out. I only call dish and change the local stations twice a year.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #11

In addition the HD is higher quality on your OTA antenna than you will get from your Dish locals (the ones beamed to you)
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarat View Post

So, yes, I have my roof Ant into to the ANT IN on the back of my receiver and an HDMI cable to my TV. However as I mentioned above, the only time I can get local OTA channels is to:

Place Tailgater outside
Point Tailgater South and receive Dish SAT programming fine
Go to Menu and select scan for local OTA channels
Local channels are scanned and a list is then displayed on the Dish Menu Local Channel List.

Do you have to set up the Tailgater, etc just to get local OTA channels or can I simply just hook up the Tailgater to the receiver without going through the SAT acquisition process?

Thx for any help on this!
I am going to make a couple of assumptions here. I am guessing that you have either a Vip211k Dish receiver or a Vip211z with the necessary dongle to get the OTA channels. I have read several of the responses on this topic and might I suggest you consider what I do.

I have my Vip211k attached to the LR TV via HDMI. I have a piece of RG6 coaxial attached to the Vip211k and I have one of the push on quick connects on the other end of the coaxial. Then I have another piece of coaxial cable attached to the TV and the other end has a quick connect on it as well. While in transit I take the receiver coax off the antenna output and attach the TV coaxial to the antenna output on the wall plate; set the TV to air/antenna and scan for the channels. That way the Tailgater remains packed away. You will have to rescan if you move to another area before you reach your destination. Then when I get to my destination I set up the Tailgater and call Dish. Hopefully you will get a rep like I did on the second try that will change the service address for you. The first rep scheduled a tech to come to the site and change the "orbital"...whatever that is.

To answer your question though is you will have to get the Tailgater out and get a signal to get to the menu that would allow you to scan for the OTA channels assuming that you have the Dish receiver antenna input attached to your antenna output. I tried it without the Tailgater attached and all the receiver did was sit there and try to do its setup routine. After 15 minutes I forgot about getting the OTA channels with the Dish receiver while in transit.

In response to someone else's comment regarding the program guide, you only get the guide when you have the local channels beamed to you through the Tailgater/receiver. If you just scan for the locals the only thing that shows on the Dish program guide is "Local Digital Signal"...no clue as to what happens to be showing in the area/time you are watching.

The comment about fewer local channels and picture quality through Dish is correct. Dish does not beam the sub channels and I believe that they are SD as well.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know I shared this already. Here is a tuner I used. All this hooking and unhooking is hard on a TV, plus the movement of a TV when its on a swing Arm puts pressure on the TV inputs. I found sound 8 inch HDMI extenders and put them on every HDMI connection I have. Then I used this tuner.
Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx ATSC Digital TV Converter Box with Media Player and Recording PVR Function/HDMI Out (Black). I
It was cheaper, is now $37

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish