Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Can't Make Campground Satellite TV Hookup Work

The RV park I am in has Direct TV provided to campsites via a coaxial connector on the side of the electrical pedestals. So I have been told. They told me to attach it to the Satellite connection on the RV. (I have two coax connections outside: one labeled Satellite and the other which is unlabeled which I have used for cable.)

The campground told my the TV has to have a QAM chip... turns out it does.

Regardless of what I do I cannot get any channels. (There is no over-the-air TV here and I am not talking about that.) The TV has one coax input. I have hooked the coax on the pedestal to the Satellite connector on the outside of the RV as well as the unlabeled connector. I have switched the coax cable attached to the TV back and forth between the coax connector inside the RV marked Satellite and to the coax connector inside labeled TV-1. I have scanned for channels; none found. I have tried with the antenna booster on and off.

I have set the Input selector on the TV to various choices but I believe of the 4 options shown 2 are HDMI inputs, 1 is for Composite/Component (RCA plug) connections and the remaining selection, changes its label back and forth from Cable to Antenna depending on which I have chosen in the Source menu. I believe it is for any source connected to the coax connector on the TV.

Anyone have any ideas what hookups and settings I should be using and/or why I am not getting any channels? BTW, I have a Vizio D40f-E1 TV.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Are your neighbors in the campground successfully receiving cable tv ?
If they are ?
Visit with them.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Are your neighbors in the campground successfully receiving cable tv ?
If they are ?
Visit with them.
That's actually a great suggestion! The one person I checked with previously hadn't tried to get TV here, but there are others I can and will ask.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #4

I'm a little at a loss what the park actually provides. A true satellite connection would require a satellite receiver but then the TV would connect via HDMI. QAM is what unencrypted cable uses. Is the park distributing DirectTV channels via cable ? If so whatever you used for cable before should work.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #5

Connect the coax cable from the pedestal to your cable input not the satellite input. The campground saying that they have satellite Tv means that they receive the channels from a satellite but then covert them to frequencies as a cable provider would.
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuder99 View Post
I'm a little at a loss what the park actually provides. A true satellite connection would require a satellite receiver but then the TV would connect via HDMI. QAM is what unencrypted cable uses. Is the park distributing DirectTV channels via cable ? If so whatever you used for cable before should work.
My understanding is that the park is distributing Direct TV via cable.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2 View Post
Connect the coax cable from the pedestal to your cable input not the satellite input. The campground saying that they have satellite Tv means that they receive the channels from a satellite but then covert them to frequencies as a cable provider would.
I believe I first tried the connection you suggested but that it didn't work. Might have been the campsite. I am in another site now and will try that tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Not knowing your coach, but on mine, I have signal switch were the switch box for controlling TV, DVD, and so forth. On the was there is a push button to switch between Antenna and Cable. I believe mine had a green lite for when using the 12v amplified over the air antenna. Once I push the button, the green light goes out and then you can use campground cable. Mine looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-7...51441885&psc=1 but there are different models. But, with that said, you could have a whole different set up. Might get some better help if you list your MH information. Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:10 AM   #9

This is what the Resort that I live at has. I don't use it because it is a SD signal. You have to use the cable input to your TV. You will then have to run a scan on your TV using cable selection in your channel scan menu on your TV. If you have the Winegard OTA/Cable outlet you have to turn it off before you scan for the cable channels.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye1995 View Post
Not knowing your coach, but on mine, I have signal switch were the switch box for controlling TV, DVD, and so forth. On the was there is a push button to switch between Antenna and Cable. I believe mine had a green lite for when using the 12v amplified over the air antenna. Once I push the button, the green light goes out and then you can use campground cable. Mine looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-7...51441885&psc=1 but there are different models. But, with that said, you could have a whole different set up. Might get some better help if you list your MH information. Good luck.
I have an Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 2018. Like many RVs it has a TV amplfier that is turned on and off by pressing a switch right next to one of the coax connectors in my case labeled TV-1. When on, an LED glows red. Normally, the coax cable from the TV remains connected to that even when cable TV is provided by the campground. When watching over-the-air TV the antenna booster is turned on, the TV Input set to Antenna and the Channel Source also set to antenna and I scan for channels. When watching cable I turn the antenna booster off, set the Channel Source to Cable, the Input to Cable and I don't think it is usually necessary to scan for channels, but maybe sometimes I have had to. My memory is a little fuzzy here.

I have tried the latter procedure here at this campground, both scanning for channels and not, with the booster on and not, but to no avail, plus, as indicated in my original post I have tried other procedures as well.

When day breaks and other campers begin milling around I will take the suggestion offered by HJLowell in post #2 above to ask if they have been successful using the campground connection and if so with what settings. I will report back with my findings.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #11

Perhaps the problem is in the Park cables and not your set up. Have them come and check it for you. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Can't Make Campground Satellite TV Hookup Work

Well first Your confused by the method the park gets channels , satellite... that doesn’t effect you .. it’s distribution to you you say is via QAM Chanel’s ( a form of cable tv) plug into your cable tv input not satellite .. that only goes to a satellite receiver ) just as you have done then turn off any antenna amp. Run a scan on the tv for cable Chanel’s not over the air. Make sure your television can receive QAM Many don’t , they just do ota or cable my bet is your tv doesn’t really receive QAM or it’s a bad connection in the post
Old 11-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #13

Once you have determined that the park's cable has a signal and If you have a long enough length of coax cable you can feed it from the park pedestal directly to your tv. That will eliminate all of your RVs connections. If it now works you have cable problems within your RV.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #14

UPDATE TO MY OP: Everything is now working. Why it is now but wasn't before I cannot explain. Could be user error or something else.

I have a coax cable from the campground power pedestal running to the coax hookup on my RV which is not labeled (as opposed to the one labeled Satellite) and the one I have always used for cable from campgrounds. Inside, the TV is connected to the coax hookup labeled TV-1. Antenna booster is Off. The Input on the TV is set to Cable as is the Source where Cable or Antenna can be selected. I scanned for channels and 37 were found and things seem to be working as expected. As I said, I cannot explain why things are working now and they were not before.

A big thanks to everybody who took the time to read or read and reply to my OP in order to help me out!!

Tags
campground, satellite, satellite tv