Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #1

CB antenna for fiberglass roof

I have a fiberglass roof on my Windsor, and my CB radio doesn't transmit very well. When I bought the motorhome last year it didn't have a CB antenna so I went and purchased a 17" rubber Ducky. My question is do I need a certain type antenna for this type of roof?

mlh2013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
I have a fiberglass roof on my Windsor, and my CB radio doesn't transmit very well. When I bought the motorhome last year it didn't have a CB antenna so I went and purchased a 17" rubber Ducky. My question is do I need a certain type antenna for this type of roof?

No youll need a metal surface to connect to. The guys that bought the new Aluminum trucks have to have a piece of metal and anchor it to whatever metal is in their vehicle.

Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
No youll need a metal surface to connect to. The guys that bought the new Aluminum trucks have to have a piece of metal and anchor it to whatever metal is in their vehicle.
You do NOT need a metal surface.

You need a no ground plane antennae, you can read up on it here

Do I need a no-ground-plane antenna?
Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mount on a metal plate or use a NGP antenna. I prefer to use a metal plate. Go to the roofing section of a big box store and you will likely find something suitable.

IMHO. YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #5

You also have the option of dual antennas (co-phase), they dont require a ground plane. Some reading here...

CHOOSING SINGLE OR CO-PHASE ANTENNA SYSTEM

Gary
Old 04-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

Marine antennas are generally zero ground plane.
I used to use Shakespeare
Hgrace56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

Can anyone recommend an average CB? Just something to use in case of emergency or boredom while driving? Perhaps with the ability to wear a headset so the 'chatter' doesn't bother the DW?

Thanks in advance.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #8

I would like one with the headset option as well. Also looking for someone to install one as well. Not keen on drilling to get the antenna wire in unit.
jack_pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #9

I bought this highly rated Cobra:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the price is relatively inexpensive, so why not go for what my limited research says is the best?

I added this speaker:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put the speaker on the left of the left arm rest behind the leveling controls. The speaker is pointed up to my ear.
From recollection, there is a minijack there where either a lapel mike or possibly a headset can plug in easily.

so far, haven't found anything interesting on the CB, but amazed that the truckers can actually understand each other. Combination of Southern accent, Trucker Slang, abreviations and my poor hearing.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several antenas advertised as NGP or NO Ground Plane.
That's what you need.
Another thing to consider is Low Bridges.. maximum height for vehicles is 13'6" though antennas may go higher..

I mounted my CB antenna on teh side of the RV using 1/2 of a mirror mount (This is the kind of mount designed to clamp onto a "West Coast" style mirror)

Here is how I did it... the "A" pillar (First pillar between Windshield and side windows) I drilled a hole for the coax and routed it into the pillar, down to the radio..

NOTE: There is other wiring in this pillar do drill carefully
THe mount (And thus the hole) is positioned so the top of the Firestick or in my case Radio Shack (Sadly now all but RIP) antenna is about 1" higher than the highest point on the RV.. More on this in a bit.

THe bracket covers the I sealed the hole where the coax exits (With GOOP) and also the channel under hte bracket where the coax also exits and loops around to the antenna mount where it connects.

Not the best antenna.. (All short antennas are a comprimise) but I'm hearing Truck Traffic about 4-5 MIles away on the freeway from where I'm parked.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #11

Just finished installing a through-the-glass on my windshield and immediately picked up several wx channels. Looking forward to week trip tomorrow to see how performs.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Mount on a metal plate or use a NGP antenna. I prefer to use a metal plate. Go to the roofing section of a big box store and you will likely find something suitable.

IMHO. YMMV.

So I happened to be on my roof and noticed these four large washers?...can I use it magnetic antenna on on of those?

Im assuming Id still need the NGP type antenna correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3218.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	201649
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3219.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	201650
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The problem with installing a good working CB antenna will be the length. A rubber duck is probably the worst working because you have taken an antenna that should be 109 inches tall and reduced it to a tiny fraction of full size. The longer base loaded CB antennas you see on cars (or used to) are 35-45 inches long, and use the metal of the car for the ground plane. If you put an antenna that tall on a coach today, it will hit every tree branch.

The best working install will not be the prettiest. The top of your ladder will work the best. The ladder serves as the ground plane.

Just my two cents....CB is about worthless. Become a ham and you can install a 2-meter radio where a full size quarter wave antenna is only 19-1/2 inches tall. UHF is even shorter and you can talk a 100 miles through a repeater.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
So I happened to be on my roof and noticed these four large washers?...can I use it magnetic antenna on on of those?

Im assuming Id still need the NGP type antenna correct?

Attachment 201649
Attachment 201650
Try a K40 mag mount

Hgrace56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, fiberglass, roof