Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My WAZE app tells me about traffic before I get there and even routes me around it and I listen to podcasts to pass the time. VHF radio has a 70 mile range and would be a better choice if you were looking for a way to communicate in an emergency. CB is about 6 miles if no obstructions so not terribly useful.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
My WAZE app tells me about traffic before I get there and even routes me around it and I listen to podcasts to pass the time. VHF radio has a 70 mile range and would be a better choice if you were looking for a way to communicate in an emergency. CB is about 6 miles if no obstructions so not terribly useful.
WAZE is pretty much useless for large rigs, there's even a town in the East that had to block thru traffic using WAZE. I tried it out, deleted the app next day. I always have my CB radio on listening for road conditions/congestion ahead. It has saved me from sitting in stopped interstate traffic many times.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
WAZE is pretty much useless for large rigs, there's even a town in the East that had to block thru traffic using WAZE. I tried it out, deleted the app next day. I always have my CB radio on listening for road conditions/congestion ahead. It has saved me from sitting in stopped interstate traffic many times.
What channels do you monitor?
Old 09-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #18

CB's may be nearly dead, but they are still used on some caravans. When we bought our current motorhome we took the CB out of the old one and stored it in a cabinet. It stayed there over 5 years and I was questioning whether or not to toss it out.

Low and behold we signed up for Winnebago caravan this year and guess what? They still require them for travel day call outs, announcements, and communication between members when on the road.

It's a bit archaic but a relatively cheap form of communication. The only downside is that any coaches newer than about 2004 don't have CB antennas from the factory. I had to purchase an antenna and the hardware to mount it to the fiberglass box.

Since we don't intend to use the CB for anything other than this caravan or possible future caravans everything is on temporary suction cup mounts. Once the caravan is over the CB, the antenna, and all the hardware will go back in the cabinet.

As for others on the road using them, about the only times we heard any chatter were through Indiana and Ohio when traffic slowed to a crawl because of accidents. Other than that there was a defining silence.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
At the Hershey show, Dymamax X3 came with a CB. Kinda surprised me. Haven't used s CB in years!!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #20

Just back from a 3000 mile roadtrip. CB on either 13 (supposed RV channel...) or 19. Twice on this trip alerted me to accidents, even which lane to wiggle into for best route thru. Also posted on back of my rig so others know they could call me if the spotted something wrong.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #21

KeyMastr: Well, VHF would probably be a better choice, but I never did like taking test!

HikerDogs: Yes, back when we had an old class C (1978 Dodge) we did a caravan and had a ton of fun throwing synd remarks back and forth between all the trucker chatter. I even remember getting into a pretty deep conversation between someone who was considering suicide. We took it seriously enough that we stopped so we wouldn't get out of range. Really not looking for THAT much entertainment tho.

LongIslandMac: HA! I thought you meant there was a CB model called Dymamax X3! All I could find was a Class C rig!

LoggenRock: See, that's what I was wanting, a CB for and the chit chat is only icing on the cake so to speak. And I like the idea of posting your handle on the back, great idea.

Thanks folks for all the input, I think for the cost and ease of use, I'll go with a CB. Now the fun part which one?
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 AM   #22

I've heard trucks a few times on the CB but not very often. I often leave it off because of the noise - squelch peaks. I also think I'm getting a lot of noise from the inverter and the LEDs in the rig.

I probably use it more now to monitor the weather broadcasts.

I will sometimes program in the ham repeaters on the track and if I want a restaurant recommendation I can get one by saying "hello" on a local repeater.

My wife (who is also a ham) and I will use some cheapo handhelds when needed. Ham radio handhelds can be had for under $30.00 a set and can be quite useful.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #23

TriMoot - Bearcat CB for about $30 on amazon. I keep the squelch dialed up pretty high, so can only hear strong signals coming from near me. FYI - I'm also a Ham and monitor .52 all the time. I've had ONE person call me in about 60k miles of travel...

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
TriMoot - Bearcat CB for about $30 on amazon. I keep the squelch dialed up pretty high, so can only hear strong signals coming from near me. FYI - I'm also a Ham and monitor .52 all the time. I've had ONE person call me in about 60k miles of travel...
LoggenRock: Thanks for the feedback. I did a search on Amazon for Bearcat but not finding any for $30ish. There's one that got great reviews but it's too much money:Uniden BEARCAT 880 CB Radio

https://goo.gl/YcDcmR

I did find this one:Uniden PRO505XL
https://goo.gl/bDsuaD

Is this the one you had in mind?

TIA
Old 09-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the one I purchased but it was $29.97 when I bought it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
This is the one I purchased but it was $29.97 when I bought it.

Tell you what...I'll buy yours for $29.98..sound good?

Okay, I kind of like the one you bought compared to the other $30 one. I'll check it out more closely and decide.

Suggestion on antennas?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased a "Firestik" antenna. Because my bus is totally fiberglass I wanted a "NGP" (no ground plane) antenna. I didn't want any type of roof mount as I didn't want to create a hole in the roof to mount it. What I did do was purchase the side mount and drilled 2 holes just above the drivers side window and then snaked the wiring down the pillar under the plastic cover.

One very important note. Whatever side mount you get make sure it comes with 18' of cable. The one I originally purchased was only about 10' in length which lead to the SWR being way off the scale. Bad SWR results in extremely diminished distance.

https://smile.amazon.com/FireStik-4f...1-3&ref=sr_1_3

When you look up the actual antenna be advised they come in different lengths. They all work about the same but just make sure you get a maximum amount above the roof height.

Years back I tried one of those antennas that glues to the outside of a glass window and then there is a part glued on the inside. Reception is OK but transmissions are not real good.

Hope some of this helps.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #28

I put a new Cobra in my RV last year just as a backup if cellular down and trouble is near. But, listening for a few hours, very little traffic and nothing of interest.

What do the truckers do now - just cell phone? Where's the community in that?
Must get pretty boring.

Tags
radio