RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #1

CB radio

What are most folks using for a CB radio in your travel rigs?

JOC1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 04:35 AM   #2

Some truckers and rvers are using 10, or 2 meter ham transceivers. Not many CBs on the road unless your in a group.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes - - CB is kind of "done"....

As an old timer - I have a CB in my rig, but I also lived through the 70s when CB was all the rage.

I have it now for a couple reasons - traffic alerts, and it has a weather radio feature. Although, I get better traffic and police reports from Waze.

Not sure what the truckers talk on now but CB talk traffic is very low. Chatter does pick up when stuck in traffic and if a large group of semi's are traveling in a pack.

Too bad - - back in the day chatter was entertaining most of the time.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:03 AM   #4

I've got a Galaxy DX-959 in my coach. It is turned on whenever we're in motion.

Contrary to what many say, there are still quite a few truckers using CB radios. They don't use it for day-to-day conversations though, so you won't hear as much chatter as there used to be. However, I've found that many truckers still keep them on and monitor channel 19. As soon as there is a slow down, accident, or other problem on the road there will be a sudden burst of activity.

More than once we've been saved by knowing that the highway was coming to a stop around the next curve or over the next hill top when I've heard someone yell "shut 'er down" (or something similar) over the CB.

One thing that I've noticed though, is that to be really useful you've got to be aware of what road you're driving on, what direction you're heading, and what mile marker is near you. That's often how the warnings are given.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the Cobra 75 WX ST which is has the controls in the hand held microphone and a built in weather radio.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
Livin the Life

Winnebago Owners Club
We also have a Cobra 75 WX ST. I don't even bother turning it on until we are already stuck in traffic and then listen to the foul mouthed truckers complain.

When travelling in groups we use FRS 2 way radios.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Still using my good ole Radio Shack One hander. Added a 2ft firestix and relearned how to tune SWR.
Volunteers USFWS. 8000 hrs each, 25 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

A well tuned Galaxy DX 979F, 50' RG8X with a 5' firestick clamped to the ladder. No not an NGP, just a plain old firestick, move it up or down to get a perfect match, works very well.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
cobra 29lx with firestick
Old 11-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #10

Cobra 29. Just the other day on a hilly hwy in MO. the CB alerted me of a slow down just past a curve which would have been a surprise and probably prevented a panic stop.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #11

Midland 75-822. We pair it with a magnetic mount outside antenna.
As mentioned by others, the interstate truckers are pretty much silent on the radio channel 19 if nothing is going on. That said, the radio was very helpful when traffic slow downs were encountered. We heard the most chatter near large towns where the locals were chatting about traffic off of the interstate.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #12

Will be getting a coach soon and am having a CB antenna pre-wire installed.Where do you guys mount your antenna on the RV (class a A rubber roof) ) and what do you suggest as a decent radio and antenna combo? Sideband yes or no, and where do you mount the radio, if not handheld, in the coach?

Thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:59 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, I am uneasy about the antenna install myself. I am thinking of finding out who installs them for police and ambulance and see if I can get it done professionally.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:28 AM   #14

Lots of variables on antenna installation. There are many made which are designed for use without a ground plane - they are suitable for installation on a motorhome which is largely made of non-metal substances (no metal skin on the roof, etc).

Also various options on the mounting itself, ranging from through the roof to side mount to mirror mount.

Having a radio shop install it would probably make sure that you got the right antenna and that the antenna is tuned properly. They have to be tuned to your radio and to the installation, and this must be done after the installation.

You can often find a good radio shop in a truck stop. Check with the truck stops in your local area. If they don't have a radio shop they'll know where the nearest good one is.

I would definitely be on hand while they are installing, and I would definitely go over all the details before they do anything. Radio shops know CBs and antennas and how to install them in trucks - they may or may not know about how to work on an RV without doing damage to the interior and/or the outside skins.

Also, whether you install yourself or have a shop do it, remember that the tip of the antenna must be under the max height limits. If you keep it to 13'-6" you should be good in most places. Some have higher limits, but you don't want to limit yourself to those states only.

If your antenna is over-height you probably won't encounter problems. That is, until you do. Aside from damage to the antenna striking a low bridge, if you are encounter a nit-picky trooper you can wind up with a hefty fine for being over height without a permit.

Tags
radio