Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Cb radio antenna

I am in need of suitable CB radio antenna for my 2008 Itasca 35L foot motorhome. The fact that it has a fiberglass surface has created a problem for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
hhampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #2

Is there a way to attach a bracket under the mirror cover, this will also afford a good ground
chuck5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Firestick has antenna made for fiberglass installation. Our Adventure was pre wired with installed antenna on roof. Had the original replaced with the Firestick, now have good reception.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
CB antenna

There are some nice side mount with coax on eBay that accept standard antenna 3/8 mount antenna. The ideal install would be where you can get access to he cable through your overhead compartment.

The ground could be accomplished if you drill at least one of the screw holes into the metal supports on the side or top of you coach. If you go only into the fiberglass, you need to attach a grounding cable to the nearest metal support. Perhaps a stud finder would work.

Again, before you drill, make sure you can easily access the cable.

Another place to consider is if you have an obsolete sat dish or TV antenna that you will never use. These are connected to a good ground, and already have a cable hole (don't use the TV cable). They make all sorts of interesting mounts to attach to odd shaped items, and might not require you drilling into you coach.

If you know any ham radio operators, they can likely help you do the job and check the SWR, when it is finished.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #5

I mounted mine (firestik) in the cavity behind my flat screen TV. It fits right up into the front cap. I get great reception when I am within 100 feet of a truck, LOL. Really, it does what I want, which is get traffic info in a traffic jam, otherwise, you better mount it outside.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio