Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Ceiling mount for flat screen

I would like to replace the tv above the cockpit with a fold down mount. Just not sure of how to mount it to the ceiling. Any thoughts?

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Beepaj,

I came across the same situation with my (new to me) 2003 Monaco LaPalma. If your overhead cabinets are as mine are, the hardwood is solid, not laminated particle board. If this is the case for you, then cutting a 2"x4" or larger to fit in the space of the old TV, and run long screws from the inside of the side storage compartments into the ends of the 2 by. Also, once you have the TV out, you may see an aluminum cross member above to secure the support to as well. Then mount the TV mount to the 2 by. If there is an aluminum cross member, longer screws for the TV mount can be secured into the cross member as well.
In my case, I realized that with the slide out, I could not see the TV that well from the couch (same place as yours) and decided to mount the TV under the storage compartment above where your swivel/recliner is located. I beefed up the bottom of the compartment with plywood on the inside to install the TV mount. I can now watch the TV from the couch, the kitchen and even the drivers seat when turned around.
Wish I had a photo available to show you right now, but can't seem to find one on the laptop. Good luck with your project, and feel free to bounce anything off me if you feel the need! Cheers, Ken............................
NRVIA Certified RV Inspector #523
2003 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD -
2013 Honda Fit
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Ken! That's a great idea. We actually took the recliner out (didn't like it) and put in an Ikea Poang chair which can easily be moved around. So that spot would be great. What size TV did you install there?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We removed the chair in our 1995 HR Endeavor and replaced it with this.

Before:

The top has a lazy susan under it so we can swivel it. We are fulltimers so we spend months at a time in one place. We store the 32 inch Visio TV when moving. It leaves the window clear for visibility while driving.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Beepaj,

We also removed the chair; it didn't match anything else in the rig, so we replaced it with a shoe holder with a seat. Now we have a place to sit and put our shoes/hiking boots on at the door. The TV is a small 21" flat screen but it is rarely used here (Moran, Wyoming for the summer - no reception). However, we removed the old tube model in the bedroom and mounted a 32" flat in there; we feel as though we are in a theater! We used a fold down/swivel TV mount under the cabinet in the main cabin (the dear wife found it on-line) but do not fold it up. We got this mount mainly for the swivel option. The TV has even been used as a computer screen from the passenger seat a time or two.
Once I removed the LARGE tube above the cockpit, I cut the box down (saves the skull when getting into the drivers/passenger seat) and we use it for storage. Mind you, this was not an easy task, it is solid oak and all I had was a dremel tool with a small 2" saw wheel. I would not recommend it - made for a wonderful Mothers Day!

NRVIA Certified RV Inspector #523
2003 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD -
2013 Honda Fit
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That looks really nice Sarge

Tags
ceiling, scr