Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cell Phone for Internet Connection?

Most of the time we are at campgrounds which have WI-FI. I have always made good connections with the use of either a 8dBi or 15dBi external antenna. However occasionally we stay at Corp of Engineers campgrounds where there is no WI-FI.
A few years back I purchased the “Mobile Office” package from Verizon which used the Cell Phone as the modem and for the limited need, it worked fine. Then they turned that service off. I then used “Road Runner when Traveling” which also used the Cell Phone as the modem but last year they discontinued that service.
Is there another way to connect to the Internet by using a Cell Phone as I have in the past? If there is, please advise and how it is setup. For now my need is so limited that I am not interested in an Internet Card or MI-MI card.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

I still can use my old Verizon Mobile Office. Still no extra charges either. Used it just last week.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm not sure if Mobile Office is still available, but Verizon Access Manager is the current method of connection to internet via your cell phone. I use mine from time to time.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It's not the verizon software that determines whether the connection is free or not. It is your plan. If you are lucky enough to to still have the national access plan from verizon you can connect at 1x speed for free. Most of us need to get the $49 data plan if you want to do any surfing at evdo speed. You can go month to month prorated on the plan. I turn it on and off a few times a year. There is a cheaper plan if you only use it for email. Any overage in data has excessive charges. Be sure you phone supports evdo and tethering. You also need a usb cable or bluetooth for your phone. You can use a free program like Connectify to share your connection over an ad hoc wireless network.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logthumper View Post
A few years back I purchased the “Mobile Office” package from Verizon which used the Cell Phone as the modem and for the limited need, it worked fine. Then they turned that service off.
You're speaking of Verizon's National Access. Max speed is 144k.

Verizon did not turn National Access off. It's still available to those on the America's Choice plan for free. You can lose it if you change your plan from America's Choice. If you lost it you had to change your plan. If you upgraded your cellphone Verizon may have changed your plan. Check your online or paper bill. If you are still on the America's Choice plan you have a configuration problem.

If you still have the AC plan run "wizard" in VZAccess Manager to re-setup your data connection.

I've been using National Access since 2003 and still use it most weekends in the summer. I have Verizon's America's Choice Family plan.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. It looks like Verizon shot me in the foot when they advised me to switch from "National Access" to "America's Choice". I guess there is no way to handle my limited use access thru my cellphone.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There is a workaround depending on the phone you have. If you have a smartphone that has unlimited web browsing from the phone and it has the capability to add applications there is a company that sells and app that may help. Take a look at June Fabrics . Their app does this by making the computer connection to the internet look like web browsing from the phone.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
There is a workaround depending on the phone you have. If you have a smartphone that has unlimited web browsing from the phone and it has the capability to add applications there is a company that sells and app that may help. Take a look at June Fabrics . Their app does this by making the computer connection to the internet look like web browsing from the phone.
Dave, which Verizon phone would I need to make this work. The Motorola Droid or the HTC Droid?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a htc imago and I just loaded a application called WM wifiRouter. Run the software and it makes your phone look like a wifi router to your computer. It even works with an iPad. But you definitely need the unlimited data plan from Verizon if you are going to surf the the net or download pics.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I have a blackberry and I use a little piece of software called Tether.
It does the fake out by using the phones browser mode. It's like running an ap that acts like the phones browser. no $30 data plan on top of the data plan the blackberry has to have anyway.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Sammie,
I believe any Cell Phone running the Android OS can be tethered so the HTC phones should be fine. I would contact June Fabrics to see if they can confirm my info.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tom,
I search for WM WifiRouter and the one I found says it only works on Windows Mobile phones. So is the HTC imago a Windows based form or if it is an Android phone how can I find the application you are using.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
tethering

I have been tethering my cell phones for several years...started with the palm and now my latest it the android OS. I have always used JuneFabrics.com I noticed it had been mentioned on this thread..They have been around for awhile and their system has worked flawless for me.
Of course you need a strong cell phone signal as well.
I just posted a thread re a cell phone signal booster that I just got. I was not able to tether my phone in the area that I am in. In fact i could not even make complete calls..I get the cell phone signal booster and it gave my cell phone a strong enough signal that i am tethering ..in fact i am on my cell phone now...tethered to my laptop.
Good luck...
also with JuneFabrics you will save lots of money.. an inexpensive one time purchase of the software...and no monthly fees.
Good luck, allen aka Gadget
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
So if I upgraded to this phone from Verizon:

LG Ally Android!
Android
Camera 3.2 Megapixel
Touch Screen
Wi-Fi
Social Networking
Requires data pkg $29.99 or higher
Early Termination Fee $350 (1 yr/2 yr contracts)
And
Purchased the software from JuneFabrics
What else do I need?
Will this require the purchase the “Required data pkg $29.99 or higher” from Verzion for this towork, or does the JuneFabrics use the voice path?

Thanks fr the help.